Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 7th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Am I a freak?

I am proud owner/mum of a 5-month-old Beagle. Yes I say proud, but this pride has resulted in non-pet owners looking at me as if I am nuts. Yes I have a picture of my “boy” on my desk at work, and yes his picture is the wallpaper on all my PC’s. Does this make me a freak?

I really believe that we need to create a support group of sorts for all non-pet owners who cannot relate to the pride we have for our 4-legged children. “Children??” Some people say. Yes they are like our kids, I get worried if he seems out of sorts, and his first day home alone left me worried the whole day. His first day at doggy day care and I was on the phone by noon to see how he was doing. I gave them the strict instructions about his boots if it is snowing, his jacket if it is cold, and his food if he seems hungry etc etc. The whole time I am on the phone my work colleagues are laughing at me :sad:

Anyway, I just think (well I sure hope) that there are many ultra loving animal owners out there (help I need reassurance here) and that those people who laugh at us just don’t know what they are missing out on.

Yes my boy is extremely spoilt, but hey isn’t that what pet ownership is all about!

PS. I hope I posted this is the correct place
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:15 PM

If you are a freak, then I am freakier (sp) than you!

I do these same things! All the things that you have just mentioned, I do and more so. I won't even board my dogs now, I hire a House/dog sitter to come to my house (more economical with 4 dogs!).

To each his own. I just hope one day they are not in trauma about their children, becuase you will be able to understand. PS. I don't trust anyone who does not love animals (especially dogs!).

Connie
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:19 PM
AmInaL

I have a son and a fur-son. I phone home and ask "How are my boys?" I adore my dog. He gets the spot at the end of the couch at night, I have more pictures of him than anybody else, and I always bring him treats when I come home from grocery shopping.

My son will always come first, but my dog is directly after him, I fit hubby in there somewhere
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM

LOL I don't think you are a freak at all! I have pics of my furbaby as wallpaper on my pc too along with my skin kids.
We have only had Molly for about a month and she is just like one of the kids. As I am trying to type this she is nudging my elbow cause she wants to go out or wants food or something as I said just like one of the kids wants attention just when I am doing something else.
I too worry if I have to leave the house and can't take her with me.
I would ignore their rude comments and enjoy being a furbaby mommy.
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Welcome to the board kimbilly and Gingerpuff!! We are all animal FREAKS on here! I have pics of all my "babies" on my desk here at work, and at home. When they're at daycare, I call to check in, and I get worried sick if one of them is sick at all. I love my pets so much, that for Christmas, hubby painted me a huge picture of my oldest dog, Red. She's my first "born", and I can't imagine my life without her! don't worry, you're not a freak and non-pet people are just jelous that they don't have that type of unconditional love!
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Thank you for the welcome Heeler’s Rock. I have been visiting this wonderful forum since October ( I am just shy )

It is great to know that there are many of us out there.
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Some of us are certifiable when it comes to our babies, you are in good company. Which is why the fur flies sometimes, as you have probably noticed.
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Everyone I work with knows my critters are my babies! They have had to see many photos of them on many occasions. I don't care if they think I am a freak, I am in good company with many pet lovers across this wonderful world.

Don't let them bother you...display pics of your sweeties
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Being owned by an animal of any sort is to know that your'e loved forever unconditionaly, and I think that in itself is pretty special. So if that makes us freaks,Cheers to all the freaks in the world, Just my thought.
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Dogaholic

Confessions of a dogaholic. My computer wallpaper and screensavers are my babies and my all my rescue fosters.

I have been looking at the doggie cellphone. A small phone that attaches to the dog's collar, so you can phone them during the day and they can hear your voice. Problem is I can only put one on the golden's collar, it would be to heavy for the mini doxie. (And I would need a "spare" for whatever foster dog I may have at the time).

I am trying to work out how I can set up the webcam on my computer to check on my babies during the day while I am at work.

My mini-dachshund has a more up-to-date wardrobe than I do. The next two additions to his wardrobe will be a tracksuit and bathrobe.

My golden has his own drawer in my chest of drawers for his bandanas.

One of the telephones in my home is a golden retriever phone that barks instead of rings.

We go to doggie birthday parties and are having one next weekend for Valentin (who turns 2 :king: )

I have gone to the dogs and am DAMN PROUD OF IT !!!!
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome!

You're definetly in the right place....the 'all freak board'

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

oh my! you are so not alone! i'm just about having a stroke cuz my boyfriend and i are leaving on vacation for two weeks. i've never been away from my babies for so long! you all should see the care sheet i typed out and printed for my boyfriend's parents who are taking care of our poochies-it's more like a book...i wrote a freaking book...i'm sure they think i'm nuts
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:22 PM

I am a freak and proud of it!!!

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have parrot fever! I am addicted to parrots! My pc wallpaper is parrots as is my screensaver. I have parrots painted on the walls of our second bathroom. Parrot statues, placemats, mugs, windchimes, pillows, the list goes on. We do groceries and have the shopping cart divided in two. One end for people food and one end for parrot food. Hubby says birds eat better than we do. we go to bird shows, parrot parties, they get their pictures taken with Santa. If we are going to be away from home for more than 3 hours, we get a parrot sitter. Am I a freak? You bet I am and proud of it. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Momof4and6furries

my name is susan and i'm a cat-a-holic! I have more pictures of my cats and dog than i do of my children. I make a calendar of my pets and not of my kids. (boy this is sounding bad) I spend more on shampoo for my cats than for the kids. They eat more balanced meals, and cost more in medical care. they have every toy ever made, and only gourmet treats.

I kiss their cute little heads, and call them my babies.

Oh yes and my computer ALWAYS has a pet on it.

and that would be a problem how???

I definitely do not want to be rehabilitated either! LLOLOL
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:54 PM
banned user

Welcome..

We here in freakdom love lots of pictures. So where are they huh? I now there's a "motherload" somewhere.. come on, hand them over

Ohh.. one more thing, shhh... it's more fun on our side
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

You all make me feel so normal (then again what is normal).

He is a picture of cuddle time with Bentley
Attached Images

Old February 8th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Kimbilly,that's soooo sweet,what a cutie..and welcome to the"Freak Forum" I have a zillion pics of my cats and love them and worry about them so much it's scary.....you are not alone
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Feline Lunch Lady

Ha!

That's why I feel comfortable visiting here! I currently have a girl (human two-legged 10 year old) and a boy (feline three-legged 4 year old). I adore them both!! Yes, my love for my daughter is different than my love for my cat, but...well, you understand. I don't have to explain it here! (besides, I just finished a great game of hide-a-go-seek with the boy and I'm a little out of breath...he's fast!!!!)

OK, I've got my breath..... Anyway, although I have not had many, I've always loved my animals (I had a dog and a budgie and a couple of hamsters growing up, and two budgies while living on my own - I adore budgies, but I like them to let them fly free around the house so it's a no-go with my hunter-boy). I've always had folks look at me strange when I go on and on about the amazing/funny/adorable shenanigans my animals do.

You kind of have to feel sorry for someone who doesn't 'get it'. I really think they are missing out.

Oh - it looks like Mr. Energy Plus has finally settled down. I have a home-office and he sleeps by my feet while I work - sometimes he 'helps' me and is my office assistant (like the time I was working with big flip chart notes -- he had a ball!!!) But it was a little hard to explain last week when I was on a big conference call (used speaker phone so I could have my hands free) and the boy woke up and started MEEEOOOWWWWINNNNG and head-butting me for attention....

Welcome! And show us some of those pictures you've got on your desk!
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Feline Lunch Lady

What a wonderful picture! You must of posted while I was still 'composing' and goofing with the cat!

What a cutie!
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:00 AM
banned user

KimBilly

He's sooo cute.. I love his freckles. I'm pretty sure you'd love to see this thread. It's one of our all time favorites, here in freakvalley.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....+animal+thread
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Bugsy,I just spent half an hour to look at all the pics again,did not realize how many I had not seen.....it's a great thread!
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

weellll...

Those CAT people are FREAKS!! But the rest of us are normal!!! HA ha aha

Just kidding!!

We buy birthday cards, christmas cards, mother's day, father's day, you name it---from the pets. So like if it's your birthday you'll get a STACK!! One frome hubby, one from the kids, one from the dogs, one from the cats.....Hey, Hallmark LOVES us!!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM
banned user

Chico

It's a great great thread. I like Lucky's idea for a new thread. Pictures of our dogs in people clothes. Looking for my camera & my "itsy bitsy teeny weeny, yellow polk-a-dot bikini" as we speak. Imagine the fun!
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

YAY to people clothes

I love dressing Bentley up I am going to get the clothes and the camera out when i get home
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Momof4and6furries

AWww what a cute picture!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Thought I would share this with you. Friends of mine never had skin kids just furbabies. For their last anniversary I went and got them a card ( from their furbaby ) and left it on their front door for them to find. LOL they were telling me about this card that they found on their door and I just acted like it was a surprise I told them Ash must have ran out to the store while they were gone. I later confessed and they said that was they best thing that they have ever got. I got one of the ones to Mom and Dad and I even drew a paw for Ashley's signature. Anyway I guess this makes me part of freekdom too.
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

First thing that came to my head was yes kimbilly, you're a freak! Join the club lol, there is nothing wrong with loving your pets and being proud of them. Too many pictures? Is that possible? Welcome and don't be shy!
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

BoxerescueMTL I share your sentiments. My parents where the same way. I would be left with my older brothers and sister when my parents when on vacation. My friends would come over and tell me how my family must not love me because all the instructions (pages worth) were instructions for the dogs. What to feed them. When they should get there toys, where and when they should be walked. Meds if needed.. Vet# , emergency vet #. Not one instruction to my siblings how to care for their 8 year old sister. Not one. I know this is where I developed my love for dogs as I grew up with them and atleast had 1 - 2 in the house at a time who were treated just like the rest f the family. Now when I go away theres a couple pages worth of intructions for my friend who watches Capone. She thinks it quite interesting too.
Welcome to the board fellow freak! You should fit in freakishly well!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:33 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Awwwww Bentley has melted my heart!

And yes.........I am a FREAK too!!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Luvmypit,when hubby and I go on vacation,my son(who cat-sits)gets a list as long as the fridge-door(taped to it!)feeding-times,treat-times,play-times..time to clean the litter times,vet and emergency vet numbers.
+fill the birdfeeders,throw out peanuts for the squirrells,especially my FiFi :love:
Throw out any left-over food to my crows...they usually caw and make their presence known...
Oh yes,I am as nutty as they come,but it's wonderful(my son does not agree!!)