Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 4th, 2003, 08:34 PM

dog urine marking dog

I have 3 large dogs; male std poodle 8 yrs old, female dobie mix 4 yrs old, and a 3 yr old male siberian husky. All are house pets and are sterile (neutered). My dobie is alpha, however, over the past year, the poodle has dropped in rank to omega and my husky is now beta. The problem is when the husky doesn't get his way he is urine marking. This morning he wanted my poodle's food (the husky also had his own food)and when my poodle ignored him, the husky urinated on him. I caught the husky in the act, yelled and gave him a physical correction, but whenever he is bent out of shape about something, the rug or in this case, another dog, he urine marks. He is very stubborn, and refuses obedience training. He is in excellent health, house broken, and is definitely urine marking. Any suggestions?
He was neutered at 8 months of age.
Old June 7th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Put a leash on him whenever you are home, and watch him carefully - the MINUTE he stars sidling up to something getting ready to lift his leg, scare the crap out of him - grab the leash, yell NO BAD BAD DOG!!!!! and yank him out of the house in disgrace. The more firm and scary you are, the more fair it is to him - one good correction which leaves him no doubt that you are one mean mama is better than a number of nagging corrections that he will ignore.

Also get some Natures Miracle or similar to neutralise the smell.
I went through this when I brought an intact (not for long) strong willed male Rottweiler into the house, so I know what you are going through. Huskies can be very stubborn and disrespectful - he is totally disrespecting your property here - so it's best to make it utterly and absolutely clear that you are alpha and it is YOUR stuff he is peeing on.

About 15 minutes a day of fast paced, fun and no-nonsense obedience drills won't hurt either. You need to establish yourself as his leader, right now he doesn't see you as leader. Dogs love their leaders.

No such thing as a dog who refuses obedience training. You just haven't figured out how to train him. Get a prong collar, some really yummy treats, and get to work! Find a good obedience class too.
Carina
3 Rottweilers, 1 GSDx.
Old June 13th, 2003, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up

thanks! sounds like great advice. My husband and I returned from a week's vacation today, and when the dogs were fed their dinner, my 'darling' little husky again lifted his leg on another dog who was eating. I have an acre of fenced in land that the dogs run and excercize on and I also have a single outdoor kennel. The husky almost became an outside kennel dog today, but we will definitely try your advice. I was trying to think of what is different in the house/situation, and the only recent change is the husky's birthday. He just turned 3 years old. I have heard dogs (especially males) like to 'show themselves' around this age. I had my dobie mix trained by the police K-9 corp, and she is a dream. We are signing the husky up for the same regime. I'll let you know how it works out. thanks again.
Old June 14th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Yep, three years old is a time when many large male dogs hit true sexual maturity. One of my Rottweilers is 2 1/2 (neutered, but neutered at 18 months old, so in many respects he still acts like an intact dog) and I am recently seeing changes...he's getting more assertive and pushy. Sort of like a second adolescence!

Now my dogs don't mark inside, but both boys will pee in the food bowls outside, which is really yucky. They finish eating, then lift their legs over the bowl. Eww! But I guess I can deal with that.
I was at someone's house once..they had a young adult male husky. That dog greeted me nicely, then lifted his leg and PEED ON MY LEG!!!! Haha. I know huskies are known to be difficult and stubborn, there's a couple of people in my advanced obedience class that I go to with huskies, both have titled dogs in obedience and agility, but they're always joking about what a pain it is to train them.

So...you're not alone. Good luck with the training!
Carina
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:15 PM

I have another option for you to try...

When in the house have a can full of pennies. When you see him lifting his leg - ANYWHERE - on the rug - on the dog.... throw it (NOT AT HIM) but onto the ground preferably where he can not see it - or shake it without him seeing where it came from. By doing this you are not associating yourself with his behaviour. If you reprimand or punish him he will begin to shy away from you. You can add "No Pee" and he will get the idea.

I guarantee he will stop peeing in mid stream and be wondering what the heck that was. It is loud and he will associate his behaviour with this sound that is very irratating to dogs and not associate it with you.

Let me know if this helps,
Diana
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, maybe a very weak nerved dog will get fearful and shy away from someone if they're reprimanded...but most dogs benefit from being reminded who's the boss! That's how it should be.

Physical corrections are of course wrong and counterproductive and will make a dog hand-shy.

Only a very stupid dog will fail to realise who is throwing a can full of coins at them.
Old August 1st, 2003, 01:07 AM

I did not say: throw a can full of coins at them.

I thought this board was to help each other out with suggestions? I was offering another suggestion that has worked.

No matter.... I just won't offer help anymore if I will get attacked for having an opinion... and I will not justify myself.
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Diana, I'm sorry - that came off much more abrupt than I intended! And no, you didn't say throw the can AT the dog, I know you just meant to do it to make a noise that would startle him. I didn't mean to attack you - heck differing opinions are what make message boards interesting. My apologies.

Anyhow, I know that many people use this method....but my point was I think it's actually better for the dog to understand exactly where the reprimand is coming from. Dogs love and respect their leaders. Marking in the house is real disrespectful (from the dog's POV) and is a major infraction.

I have owned mostly Rottweilers who can be very strong minded. Plus they are real smart - it wouldn't take any of my dogs more than one or two can corrections to figure out where it was coming from. Not to mention most Rottweilers wouldn't be particularly phased by a loud noise. They'd probably look at the can, finish peeing, and then trot over to sniff it. Huskies are pretty strong willed dogs too, and don't tend to be nervous dogs. the can thing might work for a nervous type dog, but probably not for the average Husky!
Old August 4th, 2003, 08:45 AM

reward good behavior

I'd like to add to Carina's post (June 7th, 2003 06:59 AM)
It sure couldn't hurt to praise the dog big time after it has peed outside when you take him out in disgrace.

Another thing to try would be to focus on the whole reward side of this situation. When the dog normally goes outside to pee lavish incredible amounts of praise. The goal being that dogs do indeed love to please, and will pee, or mark eventually in the 'right' place, if he right amount of praise is added to the formula.

Good luck

Lylag