Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old January 31st, 2009, 02:37 AM

I cannot control my eating of junk food

Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Forget dieting. If you eat good food, your body will reward you. If not it will do you in.
There was a guy on TV last night, a doctor who wrote a best-selling book on foods that protect against cancer, and he said that you have to slowly train your body away from fast food, as with an addiction, and re-introduce healthy eating. He said if you ordinarily get hardly any fiber, to switch suddenly to beans and raw vegetables would play havoc with your system. So it is a good idea to start slowly, adding good food in small increments.
So start small. Commit to a good breakfast, every day. Get up early if you have to. Make sure there is a protein source - eggs, cheese, etc. - and some kind of whole grain (wholewheat toast), plain yogurt with fresh fruit, etc. Forget quantities for the moment. A good breakfast sets you up for the day.
Immediately cut out all refined sugar. Processed foods (chips, baked stuff) all contain sugar and bad fats and many low-fat items contain even more sugar to compensate. If you have a sweet tooth, eat fruit. Watch out for fruit juices, very caloric.
Make a fabulous soup on the weekend and take it to work in a thermos, with a sandwich on the side. Add a handful of barley or rice for extra nutrition.
Avoid pasta for now. Too much pasta is a killer.
There are so many books out there; maybe someone can recommend one because I'm drawing a blank.
Once you start eating well, you will have so much more energy, you will even think more clearly.
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:15 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have you joined any health forums? I don't get why someone who has no pets would join a pet forum to ask human diet questions? There are lots of forums out there for human dieting.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I had the same thought.....