Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 9th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Arf! Arf!

Gentle leader vs Halti

Which would work better with a Malamute? I had been using the prong collar for when we went rollerblading but I'm going to go biking now so I need something with a bit more control.

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:48 PM
-

I prefer the gentle leader over the halti mainly because you have more sizing options, there is a lot less fabric on the face and you can lock the nose piece. You can make the gentle leader fit almost any dog that has a slope but with the halti you are limited and it doesn't fit every dog, usually only long nose dogs.

Sizing and fitting the gentle leader

First for your dog buy a large. Fit the neck piece the same way you would fit a buckle collar, two fingers flat. For the nose you will want to leave one inch from the bottom of the chin to the black buckle and lock.
When you are using this collar you must keep the leash loose. If you keep it tight your dog will get a constant correction and will fight to get it off. Never jerk on the lead.
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Just want to give you a little warning that the GL and Halti can both cause a type of pinched nerve and pressure syndrome of the neck and spine.

I used to be a big proponent of those two things as well but I wouldn't use them myself anymore from what I've known about them 'now'.

I've known of two dogs just in my neighbourhood to suffer weakness and near paralysis in the hind end, which improved after the gl and halti's were removed and a harness used. It was some thought I just had and told their families to try to remove the gl / halti and try a harness...within weeks and some massage of the neck and spine the dogs were fine!

You may want to consider a harness good luck.
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:59 PM

I use the GL whenever I walk Niki, she has never had any problems with it. I call it power steering because it takes very little pressure to control her. I have not heard of it damaging nerves before. This is something that concerns me greatly as I have had no luck with a halter. As a pup Niki could chew thru them, as an adult she can pull me off my feet. I have seen a loopi halter that dogs can not pull thru, my mom uses it for her pug. Because of his non-snout he cannot wear a GL or a halti. He doesn't pull nearly as bad after wearing it for a couple of walks. This may be another solution.
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:41 AM
-

I have yet to see any problems with its use.
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
I had been using the prong collar for when we went rollerblading
Just a question.But why would you be using a prong for this?A prong is a training tool to discourage the pulling.Your rollerblading,and I am sure he is running in front of you,which would mean he is pulling.Sorry,but to me I just think the prong is being used the wrong way.Why not just use a regular collar?

I would definately try the Loopi.I know a few people who have used it and swear by it.

Also remember not to over do it with the exercise,also meaning the running.He's still young and with him being a large dog,this can cause problems with his joints later on when he is older.
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:55 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Just a question.But why would you be using a prong for this?A prong is a training tool to discourage the pulling.Your rollerblading,and I am sure he is running in front of you,which would mean he is pulling.Sorry,but to me I just think the prong is being used the wrong way.Why not just use a regular collar?

Good point
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Arf! Arf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b

I would definately try the Loopi.I know a few people who have used it and swear by it.

Also remember not to over do it with the exercise,also meaning the running.He's still young and with him being a large dog,this can cause problems with his joints later on when he is older.
When I say I go rollerblading with him, I mean I actually pull my own weight. He does not pull me. I use the prong collar to discourage him from pulling. On a regular collar he pulls me upto 40kph! Yes he is ahead of me but I only use the prong collar to keep him off people's yards or out of traffic. Otherwise the leash usually has some slack in it.

Last night I switched to the halti because the petstore employee said the halti also closes his mouth when he pulls which would benefit me because of him wanting to go after certain dogs.

Took him 5 mins to get used to the halti and then he was perfect for the entire 45 min jog.

As far as exercise times go, so many people have told me so many different things. The breeder has said none of her dogs have joint problems from running and to let him run as much as he wants. Other people tell me to limit him to a lot less but when I do that he comes home and runs laps around the inside of our house. Even on this board, people told me to run him for 30 mins or 90 mins, etc etc.

Currently I jog him for 45 mins and 15 mins of play time in the backyard. Anymore than this and he's exhausted. Any less and he runs laps around the house.

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old November 11th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Performance Spaniels

Yes, but the ability to quickly close the dogs mouth with the halti, is the same reason most dogs can paw it off their face within seconds. Not being stationary under the chin means there's so much play in the strap that it comes right off. Not helpful when out and about.
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:42 PM
-

The manufacturers of the halti placed the extra strap onto them because too many people were not putting them on properly. The neck strap is supposed to be snug right behind the ears. It doesn't tighten around the throat so it can be fairly tight(no extra space left).
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Arf! Arf!

Well I've used the Halti for 3 days now. He's pulled it off a couple of times whenever he saw another dog around. I was leaving it loose so I could slip 2-3 fingers underneath but now I'll make it tighter.

Old November 5th, 2010, 02:43 PM

I prefer the Halti to the Gentle Leader because the extra pieces on the face keep it out of the dogs eye. I find that the gentle leader comes into the eye, but may be better fitted to some breeds as mentioned.

Also, the halti has padding on the piece over the dogs snout, and an extra piece that clips to the collar.

I have read many books on dog training, am involved in many yahoo chat groups and I have never seen an article on an injury to the neck from a Halti or Gentle Leader. Nor have I seen it on my students or my own dogs and I have trained thousands of dogs.

I have heard of one dog, one time that had a possible injury from a halti, but am unclear about how they used the equipment. Obviously continuously jerking the dogs head harshly would be inappropriate, leaving the dog unattended, etc.

I would very much like to see evidence of this however, as it would be important to know since I am recommending this piece of equipment.
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I have the easy walk harness system. There are no parts on the face at all. It's a body harness that does up in the front. I have both dogs walking on it, and I love it.
Old November 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Doggie Wench

Fauster Dawg, I use the same Easy Walk harness as Marty does. http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?pag...uctdescription

Keep in mind it's just a tool and it's the handler who must teach the dog to walk on a loose leash.

The first 5 videos at this excellent site address loose leash walking.

http://www.dogmantics.com/Dogmantics...king_vids.html
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauster Dawg View Post
. Shoving treat after treat in the dog's face in a short clip doesn't prove anything.
Um, that's not at all how clicker training works .

Whatever, it was a suggestion that works with all our fosters and our own dogs. Wishing you luck finding the answers you seek.
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Keep in mind it's just a tool and it's the handler who must teach the dog to walk on a loose leash.
I totally agree with you. The problem that I see with these "training tools" is that it seems to be the easy way out for some owners. The owners see that it works, so why bother "teaching" the dog.

With the halti/gl, you need to be careful. Many dogs will fight it. This will cause issues and damage. You can't just put it on and expect it to work right away. As for a harness, they are less likely to fight it.
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM

We use the Gentle Leader and it works great. Have used the Halti before and Leia slips it off easily. The GL has more padding around the nose and eyes area. We have never had any issues with spine or neck. Like any training tool though it should be used properly and with care.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
I totally agree with you. The problem that I see with these "training tools" is that it seems to be the easy way out for some owners. The owners see that it works, so why bother "teaching" the dog.

With the halti/gl, you need to be careful. Many dogs will fight it. This will cause issues and damage. You can't just put it on and expect it to work right away. As for a harness, they are less likely to fight it.
Yes some dogs do fight it, but you have to warm them up to it. Others you can put it on and they are fine right away with it. suppose it depends on the dog
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Smile

I have a Gentle leader and it works great!
I have a 6 month old puppy and it works so well