Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Co-worker drugging his puppy

I just came in to work today and a female co-worker informed me that the security guy that works here has a 3 month old husky pup. Apparently, he says that in order for he and his wife to get any sleep, they have been drugging the puppy with Gravol! and when that failed, he started using Nytol. This has been going on regularly, enough so that he has tried a few different sedatives. I am so worried that he will kill this puppy, as there are sooooooo many human drugs that should never be given to an animal.
he also said that the only way that he can teach the dog anything is by hurting it I literally went thru the roof! I am so angry I could spit nails and am considering phoning this clown at home and giving him a tongue lashing, but knowing this loser, it would fall on deaf ears.
When I lost it after hearing this, it was very clear that the female co-worker was thoroughly pissed off that I was going to confront the security guard. She is now not speaking to me, and will likely approach my supervisor, who will, in turn, ream me out for my upcoming actions and tell me that the workplace is no place for this type of thing. Ya see, you try to do the right thing and help the animals and you just end up getting ***** on.
As the female co-worker walked past me, ignoring me and obviously angry, I said to her, "don't worry, I won't get you into trouble...." and she flippantly replied, "You can do whatever you want...." So now I have to work with this woman who hates me (even more than before!) in very close quarters. How on earth would you handle THIS situation?
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Well it will be uncomfortable but seems you are the only one with compassion and you care obviously they don't. I would report the security guard to animal control and THS this poor pup should not have to endure this a**hole giving him drugs which in turn will kill him or get him addicted to them. This guy does not deserve to own an animal
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

If you have a method of contacting this security guard... why don't you pass it along to the SPCA via an annonymous call. Tell them that you were told second hand that this dog was being given medication and is being abused. They have to at least look into it. Just don't place the call from work, that can get you into trouble. Use a pay phone on break or something.
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM

coworker drugging his puppy....

To add a bit: She also said to leave it as it is none of our business, and I replied that it IS my business when it involves the welfare of an animal!! Right now I know that she is whining to other co-workers in my dept. about me and I really don't give a flying toss!! Bring it on!
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM

OMG!!! What a witch! It's like her knowing that a child is being abused, and saying it's none of her business. Just because you're friends with someone, doesn't mean they shouldn't get a wake up call when they're doing something wrong. Totally call the THS on this a**hole and have that puppy removed. You don't owe anyone anything, and you are completely justified in feeling the way you do. If she doesn't like it, too bad. This dog's life is just as important as her "friendship" with the security guard. Don't worry about her bad mouthing you. It just makes her look bad. It'll work out in the end. Good luck!
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=lezzerpezzer] I just came in to work today and a female co-worker informed me that the security guy that works here has a 3 month old husky pup. Apparently, he says that in order for he and his wife to get any sleep, they have been drugging the puppy with Gravol! and when that failed, he started using Nytol.

Is this guy inhouse or from a security company? Unfortunately, because it's hearsay, until it's proven there's not much that can be done other than an anonymous call to the SPCA. If it's a security company, PM me, I have contacts in most companies and we're ALL animal lovers.

Slip a little something in HIS cup. See how he likes it. THIS IS WHY I GET SO TICKED OFF AT PEOPLE WHO GET PUPPIES THEN DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY ACT LIKE PUPPIES!!!!!!

Furthermore, if your co worker carries on any more, ask her how come she's not doing anything about it.

Hope the puppy bites him on the a$$ when he's sleeping. Hard.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Is he insane? Poor, poor, puppy. I would report him immediately!!!! It is no different than doing that to a child. What an a$$.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Coworker drugging puppy

Well, nobody is really a friend to anyone here. Seems like we are all just putting in time. I have been in this lady's bad books for so long that I really don't care about offending her further. She is one of those who complains about everything and everybody and is unpleasant to the world. Hates her job, the people at it, etc. As for the security guy, he is a goof. Not paid much and the turnover in that job is high. He is kind of irritating, and apparently a real jerk, now that I found out about this.
My dilema is how to go about approaching this pinhead about his treatment of the puppy. I need to know if this is really going on or if he is fibbing....she seemed to believe him however. I also don't want to point fingers in anyone's direction so that he goes back and gives her hell. It is also an issue of approaching him at the workplace and on the clock. I would hate to falsely accuse someone and have Animal Care look into it and end up getting in big trouble. I would rather talk with this guy and help him find new methods of working with his dog and illustrate the dangers of drugging a pup. He is approachable, but will likely continue on his merry way, but it's worth a shot. Need to feel out what's really going on. Even my boss said, "Oh maybe his vet gave him instructions...." What bullcrap! She just doesn't want to have this going on at work, as she knows I will follow up and she is very wishywashy on every issue.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a calm approach would work with this twit. I would speak with him, tell him you hear he had a puppy, and LET HIM tell you. (ie a well-placed question about getting any sleep hehehe). Then if he does admit something, away ya go!

As for the drama queen, realize that some people just simply cannot live without some time of conflict in their lives. Ignore her.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM

OK, how to approach him: Pretend like you're his friend. "Oh, I heard you got a puppy. I love puppies! Do you have a picture? How old is it? What breed? Gee, I remember having a puppy and BOY those first few nights are hell, aren't they? Ha,ha!". Get him to complain and open up to you so you get the story first hand. Then you can go to the authorities and report him with what you know. Unless, of course, this other woman has already warned him that you freaked out and plan to report him... Good luck!

(edited to add Hey, Bearsmom - great minds, huh?
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:40 PM

drugged pup

Yes, I am going to quiz him when he gets in next Wed. (I HATE the wait!) He already has taken a shine to me so it won't be too hard to get him to spill the beans. Yes, proof first hand is what I need. I'm sure he will fess up as he is a real blabbermouth. I will most definitely keep you posted.
By the way, has anyone ever heard of a vet prescribing any type of sleep aids to a puppy? I think not, but could be wrong. Just want the facts and to not be barking up the wrong tree!
Old January 10th, 2005, 03:36 PM

I agree with the " I am your friend" approach. Let him tell you first hand.
Old January 10th, 2005, 03:40 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I would call the humane society ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! This couple doesn't deserve a dog!
Old January 10th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd call the SPCA 1-888-668-7722 extension 1 and crimestoppers - 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) both have to act on calls and it's anonymous. Crimestoppers will also give you a file number and you can call in a couple weeks to a month and find out what action if any was taken.

I'd also call your local SPCA Branch.
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

By the way, has anyone ever heard of a vet prescribing any type of sleep aids to a puppy? I think not, but could be wrong. Just want the facts and to not be barking up the wrong tree![/QUOTE]

Nope, I've never heard of that one.

I once gave our cat gravol for car sickness (we had to drive 5 hours in the car due to a family emergency, and couldn't get a pet sitter for him) on the vet's recommendation. I SWORE I heard the vet say, "a gravol", but having a tremendous cold, I heard her wrong. I gave Alicia the gravol (yes, Alicia's a boy), and he slept. For two DAYS. I was FREAKING out and called the vet and gave her holy old heck for almost killing my cat, and she asked, "HOW much did you give her?" I told her, and she said "QUARTER of a gravol, no wonder he's sleeping so much!". Brought him into a vet where we were staying, and he said the cat would be okay, but very well rested.

I have never felt so stupid in my life. Alicia, by the way, lived a long and healthy life, and forgave me eventually.
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM

coworker drugging his puppy

Believe me, I realize the urgency and want to jump right in, but I think I should pry out the info from the guy. Also, I will approach the female co-worker tomorrow, when she has had a chance to come to grips with my reaction and realizes that something has to be done for the sake of the puppy. I will ask her if she thought the guy was serious and if so, does she think this is something she can live with knowing but not doing something about. Perhaps tonight she will sleep on it and grow a conscience overnight. She has just purchased a new puppy herself, so I am sure that she will think about this situation plenty. I would hate to accuse the fella of something that he was "joking" about, and end up fired or at the very least, spit on by fellow staff! I will, however, follow thru with the authorities if this drugging/hurting issue is indeed true. Oh gawd.....what next....
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Just my opinion, but I would get him to talk about the dog and when he complains about not getting sleep, and drugging the pup, I would then offer to take the pup, Saying if the pupis so much trouble and you have to drug it, why don't you give it up ???? And if you can get him to agree to give the pup up (I can't see there being a problem, as the pup seems to be nothing but trouble to him) then you can re-home it, or find a rescue for it.
The way I see it, even sitting in a cage waiting to be re-homed, is better the being drugged and abused !!
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Unhappy Wow!!

I can't belive the things that people do to there pets. This guy really makes me sick. I couldn't imagine doing snything like that to my babies, and belive me they can be a handful some days. As you all know. I think that you should report him and have the proper authorites handel the situation.
Goodluck and best wishes.
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Coworker drugging puppy

Here's the latest....Another female co-worker took the brunt of the first gal's wrath over me losing it about this puppy situation. The second lady calmed her down and said that she should have expected as much from me as I don't take things lying down, ESPECIALLY when it comes to animals. She also said that the security guard, (member of the Corps. and hired specifically by our establishment), was not kidding and actually does administer meds to the puppy and that it is a good thing that someone is willing to do something about this bozo.The first gal agreed. Hurray! So, it will be easier for me to approach her tomorrow to feel out the situation. I am just shocked that this is happening. I discussed how to approach the guy with the second female, and she agreed that I should strike up a casual conversation with him. As soon as he says anything that leads me to believe that he is doing wrong, I will report him to the proper authorities. What a way to win friends and influence people. eh?
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Well whatever you have to do just to make sure the dog is safe.
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck! If it were me, it would depend on how well I know the security guard as to whether or not I wuold approach him. In my work, I am legally bound to report abuse of children but I also report animal abuse if it is made known to me in the course of my work. But I call the police or in the case of an animal,the SPCA. It is up to them to lay a charge, not me.

If he is approcahable and interested in talking about his dog, then perhaps he does not realize what he is doing is wrong. (Alas, some people really need mega education when it comes to pets - and children for that matter but that;s another story!) So, depending on how secure you feel - would this fellow threaten you for example - then I would weigh which way to do it.

I say this as someone who has been physcally attacked by the perpetrator for reporting child abuse. It does not make me hesitant to do it again, just more cautious in how I handle it. For some reason - all the stresses of the so called modern world I suppose - more people have resorted to violent solutions. So, be careful!!
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

:sad: This post really breaks my heart...
I hope this guy gets what's coming to him...

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:44 AM

drugged pup

I appreciate all of the good and sensible advice about what to do and how to approach this guy. Don't worry, I can take him! He's a shrimp and a wimp. A gentle guy, so I am not worried about him taking a swing. I think that he needs to be directed to the books on raising a puppy, which is my forte lately, as I have been assisting my neighbours on raising their puppies. I know all of the good books to hand out.

I think this guy is suffering from lack of knowledge and common sense, so I will try to help him and explain just how harmful his actions are. I will also warn him that his actions do have grave consequences.
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

You can direct him to books, but it doesn't mean he'll read them. Let him know that you know what he's been doing (if he admits it), let him know that he is endangering the LIFE of this puppy, and let him know that there are a LOT of people who will "assist" him with the puppy if he doesn't smarten up!!!
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM

drugged puppy

Oh I plan on telling him MUCH more than that, depending on how this plays out. I may just outright tell him that a phone call will be made to the proper authorities telling them about his treatment of his puppy. I have no idea what happens then....I make the call, they go to his house fairly quickly, I would imagine. Then what? Do they take the dog and run blood work to see if there is any trace of drugs? Do they just interview the person? Does he lie and get away with it? Anybody know what happens next?
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM

co-worker drugging puppy update

Hello there! I have just spoken with the co-worker re: the drugging of his puppy and it went very well! I was able to initiate a conversation and discuss his situation and draw on my experiences handling dogs and working in the field to encourage him to make the best choices in raising this dog.

He said that right now, his pup has had diarhhea for 2 days and I suggested that he keep the dog hydrated and get it to his vet as soon as possible (now if possible, as the little ones can go pretty quickly!). He shows great concern for this dog and absorbed any information and ideas I had like a dry sponge! I managed to talk to him about how the dog is sleeping at night, and he said it sleeps solidly, (no mention of drugs!), and that he is ready to go out at 7 in the morning. He said he would try to feed the dog some boiled rice and chicken broth as I suggested, in very small amounts spread out during the day, to keep some nourishment in the dog. I said that giving human medications to the dog is a big NO NO unless he has strict instructions from a vet, as this could kill his dog He was mortified by this and said he had heard that he can give GRAVOL to the dog for car sickness. I said to cease and desist this, and suggested ways that he can teach the dog gradually to enjoy car rides and not be sick, instead of using drugs! He was most willing to try these ideas and will not drug the dog anymore! I also mentioned Pepto Bismal to slow the dogs gut down, but to please consult his vet FIRST!!

The dog is 3 months old and has had no vaccines, and I suggested that his pup may very well have a puppy-related illness brewing, (hopefully NOT Parvo! or some other life-threatening bug ) He says his wife gets paid tomorrow, so he will get the dog looked at then. I told him that he knows where to find me, (at work!) and I am there to help if he needs me. He was very receptive to any and all information that I offered and I feel that this situation is now under control. No more misguided attempts to cure the dog with human stuff.

We ended with me inviting he and his puppy over for a romp with my guys, once the dog has had vaccines and is feeling well. He did also mention that he wants to get the dog fixed asap! Hooray!! A good ending!
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad that went well he seemed receptive and that is great for the dog and hopefully he now feels comfortable enough to ask for advice. Do you have any s/n clinics that have reduced fees around because that would make that easier if money is an issue for him. You could give him the name and since he is agreeable to s/n the leg work would be done already. I am so glad you talked about the human drugs and he is not going to use them anymore. I worry about the long term effects as well as killing the dog.
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:41 AM

coworker drugging puppy

Thank you Mastifflover for the good advice about researching s/n clinic and giving him info up front. We do have one in London and my own vet is very reasonable and good with customers and pets alike. I'm going to suggest this to him and see how it goes. He really did look like a deer in the headlights when I was talking to him and is so willing to work with this pup! I just wish my idiot neighbour would be so compliant. But, I'm not finished with him! He will have a fence, ho yes, a fence!!
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:47 AM
banned user

:sad: one thing i hate is people hurting poor animals...and puppies

grrrr I'm so mad i could spit fire hmmm the guy needs a
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM

drugging puppy

There are a lot of ignorant new dog owners out there, and part of my job as a member of the London Dog Owners' Association is education of the public regarding responsible dog ownership. I am just so glad that I was able to intervene and prevent any further possible life-threatening problems. I have given the owner my vet's business card and he lives nearby and was ecstatic! I also gave him my pet sitting business card, showed him my Humane Society membership card and my LDOA card. He is very happy to have me with him on this, as am I. Chalk one up for the good guys!!