Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:21 PM

Kitty having weird stages of diarrhea

My 1 year old Milford (cat), has randomly had diarrhea for the first time 4 days ago, oh my it smelled, we woke up from our sleep and smelt it! So I took away his food and fed him turkey and rice and yams/potatos for 2 days, his diarrhea started becoming more solid, I'd say 50/50. Now this morning, diarrhea again!

HISTORY:
Milford has been on Medical Urinary SO for about 4-5 months, he was throwing up every second or so day after he ate his morning meal, but seemed TOTALLY fine. This food was helping his peeing problems, or maybe it was because I was adding in 1/8 cup of water into each meal...I dunno.... So with the case of diarrhea we stopped feeding him the food, well low and behold no throwing up anymore! But still diarrhea......
Milford is happy, playful as ever, doesn't seem in any pain whatsoever when we touch his belly. He acts totally fine, which tells me I don't think I need to goto the vet. I'm a over worried mother to my pets but I'm not worrying about him, I just would like to stop this diarrhea, he's going on the floor
There's no blood or even bad color to the slushy poop either. My other cat seems perfectly fine, the odd throw up of hair.....

Any help?
Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkycat View Post
My 1 year old Milford (cat), has randomly had diarrhea for the first time 4 days ago, oh my it smelled, we woke up from our sleep and smelt it! So I took away his food and fed him turkey and rice and yams/potatos for 2 days, his diarrhea started becoming more solid, I'd say 50/50. Now this morning, diarrhea again!
Is it possible he ate a plant or something else he wasn't supposed to?

Feeding turkey with a tsp or 2 of plain pumpkin or squash is fine for a couple days, but I wouldn't feed rice or potatoes. Some probiotics and/or slippery elm bark mixed in with his canned food can also help with occasional bouts of diarrhea.

Quote:
HISTORY:
Milford has been on Medical Urinary SO for about 4-5 months, he was throwing up every second or so day after he ate his morning meal, but seemed TOTALLY fine.
I'm assuming it's the canned SO that Milford is getting, which is at least better than the dry. Is he perhaps "scarf-n-barfing"? How long after he eats does he ralph, and is it mostly food that he vomits, or is it mostly liquid, and if so, is it foamy? Does he only get fed twice a day? He might benefit from smaller, more frequent feedings if that's the case (like at least 3 or 4), or a snack before bed.

Quote:
This food was helping his peeing problems, or maybe it was because I was adding in 1/8 cup of water into each meal...I dunno....
What were his peeing problems, and what was he eating then?

Quote:
So with the case of diarrhea we stopped feeding him the food, well low and behold no throwing up anymore!
Medi-cal S/O, while not the worst, is really not the best food either, and is way overpriced for what you get:
Ingredients-
Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Pork Liver, Pork By-Products, Corn Flour, Fish Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Egg, Vegetable Oil....
The corn flour and powdered cellulose (aka sawdust) are completely unnecessary, and it contains a little too much liver for my liking. There is nothing magical about this food preventing urinary tract issues, other than the fact that it's a wet food. You can do better feeding a non-prescription grain-free canned food like Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature Organics, Innova Evo 95%, etc.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM

I'm assuming it's the canned SO that Milford is getting, which is at least better than the dry. Is he perhaps "scarf-n-barfing"? How long after he eats does he ralph, and is it mostly food that he vomits, or is it mostly liquid, and if so, is it foamy? Does he only get fed twice a day? He might benefit from smaller, more frequent feedings if that's the case (like at least 3 or 4), or a snack before bed.

Yes it's the canned one, we don't think he eats it fast, it takes him 3 times longer than our dog to eat. He barfs up food about 30 mins -1 hour later. He gets fed 2-3 times per day (1/2 can per day), and eats a bit of hard food inbetween.

He has Urinary tract infections, he was eating only hard food Nutro.

Medi-cal S/O, while not the worst, is really not the best food either, and is way overpriced for what you get:
Ingredients-
Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Pork Liver, Pork By-Products, Corn Flour, Fish Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Egg, Vegetable Oil....
The corn flour and powdered cellulose (aka sawdust) are completely unnecessary, and it contains a little too much liver for my liking. There is nothing magical about this food preventing urinary tract issues, other than the fact that it's a wet food. You can do better feeding a non-prescription grain-free canned food like Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature Organics, Innova Evo 95%, etc.[/QUOTE]
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He has Urinary tract infections, he was eating only hard food Nutro.
True urinary tract infections are extremely rare in young cats. More likely, it was a case of urinary tract inflammation, probably caused by crystals. Did the vet do a culture and sensitivity on a urine sample acquired via cystocentisis?

What is the kibble that Milford currently eats? Any possibility you could completely eliminate it and feed only wet? While dry food is not a good idea for any cat, it's a particularly bad idea for male cats with a history of FLUTD. Some worthwhile reading on the subject: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_urinary_tract_health.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler