Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I love my cogeco phone!!! no long distance *L*, if you call a call center for help and can't understand the tech, you can ask for another with no feelings hurt, I had one lady who's accent (french) was so strong that I had a hard time understanding her and politely asked for another worker, I was switched over immediately.
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Oh Stacer hun , just give me your phone number and for a fair price , I'll could call you everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Heavy breathing is extra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Extra ? No Badger , I'm fairly cheap. Stacer can consider it a "free sample"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow
Frenchy, there's a great way for you to make extra money on the side as a 1-900 call girl.

OK Frenchy, my number is...416-123-4567. I'll expect the call around 8 pm every night. How much are you charging?

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Stacer,if you prefer a male Frenchy,hubby will do it for a price
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I work for a large Canadain/US company in the financial industry and our main help desk for tech issues is in india. we do have onsite nerds to help us out but if you are referred to the help desk - you speak to folks in india. Its frustrating at time.

I think this is pretty common its just not well known by the public user. Not that I am agreeing with it.

They did open huge call centres in the maritimes, mostly for banks and phone companies, shipping companies like Purolator and DHL, which is why the unemployment rate decreased, the east coast provinces made/are making a come back, which means people like us - who moved west for work can some day move home.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm getting offers all over the place. Maybe we can work out a schedule between Frenchy and Chico's hubby?

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Stacer,now you got hubby all excited

Ford Girl,I had no idea this was going on,until my friend told me she was talking to someone in India,I actually did not believe her at first.
But that certainly explain why so many telemarketer speak with an Indian accent.
Honestly,they are very polite and so,but often times very hard to understand.
I also think,that,in this economy the jobs should stay here,how about some patriotism over greed..
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Doggie Wench

We left Bell 2 months ago because of the poor customer service . Language always became a problem because I couldn't for the life of me understand the person on the other end . The very last person I spoke to was pretty rude as well because I kept asking him to repeat himself . That was the kicker, I wasn't paying 200$ + to some company for services that couldn't be offered properly. We switched to a cable company and, lo and behold, the cost of the same services was 50% less . Bonus that the tech support is local !
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Kitty pimp

heres a tip if ou dont like the rep you get ask for a supervisor chacnes are they are instructed to find one for you and chances are it will be bonced back to the us or canada
if it it doesnt it gets escalated
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I worked in a call centre for 3 years (the period in my life I affectionately refer to as purgatory). One of my colleagues used to work for Bell, and they were in fact in Canada. However, Bell was like the centre I worked in...more than 75% of my colleagues were east Indian. Not sure why that was, it just was. I remember one client calling in and going on a racist tirade, yelling at me that he had just spoke to someone in India and I was lying. The person who he just spoke to (I pulled up the call history) actually sat behind me. I'd of let it go, but the racist comments were grating on my nerves. Finally, I leaned back to the associate behind me, making sure the client heard me.
"Hey, Abdil...are we in Toronto, or India?"
"Uh...I believe we are in Toronto."
"Sir, I just spoke with Abdil, and he assures me that we are, in fact, in Toronto".

Personally, I could care less where the centre is I'm calling, I'm more concerned about the service I'm getting. And having worked in a call centre, I tend to be both more forgiving AND harder on them. The most successful people in call centres are usually those who play the game...whatever it take to make the client think they're doing something, yet getting off the phone ASAP so they have "good stats". If I think I've got one of those ones, I'm usually pretty tough, and I ALWAYS make sure I get a name (one of the reasons they tend to say whatever is because they have 500+ telephone associates, and the chances of getting the same one twice are next to nil). But if I get one who seems to care, I tend to be a little more patient. And having seen it from the inside, you get more who tend to care less about the client and more about the stats. Turn over is huge.

I do remember one conversation I had with someone in management saying I could care less the colour of the guy on the phone, or where they're from, but for gosh sakes, make sure I can understand them! Of course, in Canada, you can't not hire someone for fear of being accused of being racist. I suggested that should do the interviews by phone. If you can't understand them, you don't hire them. That being said, one of the most entertaining calls I listed to was my east Indian friend with the super-thick accent talking to someone from the deep south, back woods Louisiana. "I beg your pardon sir?" "Say wha' nao?" I think I was the only person who knew what the other was saying...
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Kitty pimp

lol i woked in a call center for voip calls from everywhere in the world we used to play on the overnight since then we got the other side of the world what country was next or wher the h*** is abb dabbba humi gory? or VJgdjUsdy somewhere in europe i loved it call centers are a great temp gig flexible hours good net working for future and usually better than menial pay why they go overseas? cuase there it is a terrific job
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Senior Contributor

meh, I dunno its just the way of the world now........

I understand Indian accents pretty well because I grew up in the gulf, where so much of the work force is Indian. I always understood indian profs easily too where some of my friends were sooooo lost.

What Bugs me is that whenever I call to complain I usually get nowhere but my brothers get what they want maybe im too nice, dunno.

Also gotta love the call I got asking me if i wanted to sign up for long distance from rogers..."what county do you call often?" Egypt "aha..is that Egypt in Europe?" No..Egypt in Africa. "ok one second ma'am" *pause* "so that was Egypt where then? Where is it in Asia?" ...ummmm you know egypt, pryamids..ancient civilization. Finally she finds it and I agree to sign up and I hear her pen isnt working then she talks to someone around her "heyyy give me a pen please, come on!!! im about to close this deal! "

ummmmmm yeah no.

I didnt sign up.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Onster
Bell is still hounding us to switch back,we would get a"great"new deal if we only switched back,not a chance..
Not because the support-people are in India,but because my phone-bill stays the same,I can call my son in Alberta every day(I don't)South Carolina to friends no charge,it's great
Schwinn,I understand the people working for the call-centers do not have an easy job,with people like me,they requier a lot of patience,but it helps if I understand what they are saying.

By the way,my friend in Burlington finally got her PC straightened out,but only after she said she was leaving Bell.
She was without her PC for 1 1/2 months,I would not have waited that longand no re-fund.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

our rogers bill is a bit horrendous....so everyones had good experiences with cogeco??

I know what u mean about the hounding chico, we left bell and we keep getting those cards all the time "we miss you"

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster,your family probably all have cell-phones,hence the horrendous bill
We pay $ 198/month for,telephone with all the bells and whistles+ free long-distance in North America,HD-TV(hubbies TV)a Digital box with my TV,high speed Internet and a program-bundle.
Before,my Bell phone-bill alone was about $100,since most of my friends live longdistance.That's with Cogeco
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM

I had a problem with my computer a few years ago too with that same company and spoke to over a half dozen CSR's from India and was so frustrated since I knew what the problem was but had to go through all of their scripted procedures. When I got so fed up that I gave up speaking to them and should have had a part replaced my hubby took over and called but spoke in French and lo and behold he was connected with someone North of Toronto - go figure!!! Needless to say they sent the part to us within a few days after that.

Mary Engelbreit
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I have an accent myself,but thank Dog I don't sound like the guy on the IKEA commercial

That guy is funny i love those commercials he just cracks me up.
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Angeldogs,yeah,I am Swedish but I don't think I ever sounded like him
Old January 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

we just switched our bell phone to cogeco in October, so the bell calls haven't started yet.....
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

The only problem with not having a land-line(bell),is that if the power goes,so does the phone,but most people have cell-phones,except us
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

chico, there is a back up battery for 8 hours.....we lost power last week for almost 2 hours and had no problem with the phone, you just take your best phone and plug it into the back of the modem where it says "line 1 and line 2" use line 1
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Melinda,I did not know that,we almost went out to get a cell-phone at the last outage,but did not.
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe View Post
I won't go on a long rant about the Do Not Call list, but I will say that I was part of the early discussions in the development of the National Do Not Call List in Canada, so I'm well informed. I will say that the list does not work and it is a huge waste of tax payer money.

Think about it. You give your number to the DNCL. They in turn send your number to ALL call centres and tell them don't use this. Can they all be so trusting? I can set up a fake company (not using my real name), pay the fee to CRTC and get the DNCL. Now I can scam specifically those people, by saying I'm the CRTC and part of being on the DNCL, I will need some more information from you... like your name, address, social #, drivers license, etc to validate that I am talking to the correct person. Don't worry, we are part of the Canadian Government, your information is secure with us. Bam! I just stole your identity!
Looks like Global News did a story on it. Nice to see that I'm not crazy... and my rants do have merit... occasionally

http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/ont...tml?id=1176350
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe View Post
Looks like Global News did a story on it. Nice to see that I'm not crazy... and my rants do have merit... occasionally

http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/ont...tml?id=1176350
I saw that We are getting more and more calls 000-000-0000
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Kitty pimp

lol hey want a list of cranky callers? any thta come up as blank or blocked numbers you hang up on immediatly right?

probably from off shore
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Saigo,we do too get that and others like 123 4567 8910,,we usually pick up and hang up,call diplay is the best
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

The same friend who had trouble with Sympatico sent me this
Hope nobody is offended,it's all in fun..
Attached Images