Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Question Responsible way to giving kittens up for adoption

I was wondering if there's a general guideline on the best way to giving away kittens? I have 3 that are on their 6th week (FYI I 'adopted' a pregnant stray). They're still a month or so away from being ready, but I'd like to start thinking about it now and getting ready for it. What I'd like to do is to give the kittens their first round of vaccinations at least, and charge an 'adoption fee' equal to the vaccination cost to help ensure they're going to a home with responsible owners.

What else should I be doing or be mindful of?
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would want to see the whole family and how they interact with the kittens (I'm really thinking about children) and if the parents instruct the children to handle the kittens. I think that will give you a good idea on the knowledge of the family.

Their feelings on declawing and spaying/neutering and allowing cats to run free outside .

The fee is a good idea . Another suggestion is to have them give a donation to the pet charity (shelter, Farley's Foundation) of their choice to waive the adoption fee.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 12th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the tips

As someone who will be giving away the kittens, is there anything I should be handing over the owner (other than the kitten)? Paperwork of any visits to the vet and vaccinations, obviously. A can of their favourite cat food? Printouts of kitten care guides? I'm assuming the new owners would need to bring a cage, and of course their home should be cat-ready - how would I know for sure other than visiting their actual home?
Old September 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If they have experience with cats, they probably already know the care they require. If they don't, then absolutely, give them a care guide and tips on what and what not to do to keep them safe. Perhaps a list of toxins (like Easter Lilies, antifreeze), info on cat nutrition (that they are an oblique carnivore and shouldn't be eating grains/veggies) and a list of quality canned food (I would be giving that out to even to the experienced cat owners because most just blatantly trust the pet food industry).

I, personally, could not adopt out one of my fosters if I didn't think they knew a lot about cats, but that's my controlling, overprotective, nobody-can-give-care-like-me, personality .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM

My blue point Siamese had kittens a very very long time ago. Depending on the breed you might want to check at what age you can adopt them out. With Siamese in Quebec at the time my vet said to hold them till they were three months. We were lucky because we knew the families. I did make really lovely kitty sleeping bags with thermal insulation that I designed myself. As I expected nobody showed up with a warm blanket in their cage even though it was the middle of the winter. I was thanked over and over for that touch. People used the little sleeping bag as a kind of baby blanket souvenir.
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Check with a local cat rescue and see if they will let you list your kittens through them and maybe do a check on potential adopters.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I was wondering if there's a general guideline on the best way to giving away kittens? I have 3 that are on their 6th week (FYI I 'adopted' a pregnant stray). They're still a month or so away from being ready, but I'd like to start thinking about it now and getting ready for it. What I'd like to do is to give the kittens their first round of vaccinations at least, and charge an 'adoption fee' equal to the vaccination cost to help ensure they're going to a home with responsible owners.

What else should I be doing or be mindful of?
What kind of pets the person has at home already. If they have dog(s) do they get along with cats. How old their kids are , some little kids can be really rough on babies animals.

I wish there more people like then we would have less homeless and abused animals.
Old September 13th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Check with a local cat rescue and see if they will let you list your kittens through them and maybe do a check on potential adopters.
I agree with LavenderRott. As these babies will not be sterlized, there is no way you can enforce this. A rescue can.
Contact rescue groups to take over placement of your babies.
Or - you can call your local humane society and surrender them there. You can always ask them to contact you if not adopted.

Good luck to you.
Old September 13th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I agree with LavenderRott. As these babies will not be sterlized, there is no way you can enforce this. A rescue can.
Contact rescue groups to take over placement of your babies.
Or - you can call your local humane society and surrender them there. You can always ask them to contact you if not adopted.

Good luck to you.
Great ideas LR & BM

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)