Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM

cat sneezing

my 17yo who cat seems perfectly well except for the last 3 weeks she has sneezing fits (15 in a row) about every 4 hours. When she sneezes she just sprays clear fluid. Is it just caused by the dust from the prolonged dry, a minor cold, sinisitis, an allergy or what? any ideas, thanks in advance. Will it eventually stop by itself?

Last edited by deemaree7; April 24th, 2007 at 04:04 AM. Reason: no replied, adding detail
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:47 PM

I would take her to the vet. They can do tests to determine if its an infection, or allergies, etc.
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Queen

At that age she should be getting a checkup/bloodwork done about every six months, i'd make an appointment ASAP. That is an outragous amount of sneezing, sounds very uncomfortable. I have pretty bad allergies and can't even imagine sneezing that many times in a row, it would probably kill me. Let us know how it goes, I hope it is not serious.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:59 PM

update

thanks for opinions,
Vet said her breathing is a bit raspy, no temperature, worst trouble seems to be loose teeth and inflamed gums. So she is on antibiotics for a week and booked in for teeth extraction next week. They will be able to have a better look in her nostrils and down her throat while she is asleep. Vet says she is in pretty good condition for her age and should be ok for a few more years, so that's good.
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Queen

She'll be much more comfortable after her teeth are taken care of. Hopefully they can figure out what was causing the sneezing too. Be sure to pamper her extra good, she may not have that much more time left. My kitty also had some major dental work done at 16 and seemed to go down hill very quickly after that even though the vet thought he looked quite good for his age. She may also have some trouble eating after the surgery so be sure to come back and let us know how it goes, lots of people here have experience with that. Good luck, hope all goes well at the vet.
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM

bad teeth cause sneezing in old cats

dear old Brickie's sneezing reduced a lot while on the antibiotics waiting to have her teeth removed. She recovered from the anaesthetic much better than i expected. The vet said one tooth was "mis-located and had a deep rotten root way up near nazal passages and some other very deep rooted teeth. (she only has 5 teeth left now). She has been eating like a horse since she got home and except for one sneezing fit the night after the surgery, has stopped sneezing. So there u have it, loose/bad teeth cause sneezing in old cats. Live and learn.
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, not bad for 17! But you're right about infected teeth being a big factor in other ailments. You can be sure she's feeling so much better since the surgery.
Dear old Brickie is lucky to have you.
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM
-

Bad teeth can cause a lot of problems. Glad you got them taken care of and hope Brickie has a few more good years with you.
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Queen

Thats great news she's feeling better! Thanks for the update.