Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 8th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Unhappy HELP!! Suddenly not sleeping well in crate

When we got Magic at 12 weeks, she was sleeping in a crate, right thru the night, from the 2nd night we had her. Gradually, for the last few weeks, she has been waking up in the middle of the night, to go out to pee which is not a big deal. But putting her back in her crate was becoming a problem and she'd whine for a bit and then go back to sleep. Well that has been getting worse and worse. Now, for the last few nights, she fights when we put her in the crate and night and whines for a really long time. She'll wake up in the middle of the night and cry and cry, even if she's recently been out to pee.
I use a baby monitor so I can hear her and at times I've had to turn it off so I can get some sleep! Anyway, I don't know what's wrong, why she has regressed like this. She has done so amazing up until now with the crate, we were extremely pleased with how well she adjusted to it. I don't know what to do with her now. At 3am this morning, my husband took her (and her crate) and slept downstairs on the couch. When I went down this morning, her crate door was open and she was sleeping on the couch with him!! (So cute, but I'm thinking "oh no! ") Could it be maybe that she's outgrowing it, she needs a larger one? I don't have the measurements handy but she can still stand up and turn around in it, although she has put on 2 lbs. since we first got her. Hmmm, maybe I've answered my own question?!
Magic - black mixed Shih Tzu, Chihuahua, Malteze, Bichon (bn Feb 19/08)
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

have you or dh been home alot recently, then gone back to work as in vacation. Puppies are like little kids, they will test you to see what they can and can't get away with. Do you cover her crate with a towel. Have you been having thunderstorms lately. As you can see it could be several different things.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
have you or dh been home alot recently, then gone back to work as in vacation. Puppies are like little kids, they will test you to see what they can and can't get away with. Do you cover her crate with a towel. Have you been having thunderstorms lately. As you can see it could be several different things.
Hi Aslan,
No, nothing really has changed routine-wise. My husband is a stay-at-home dad so he and the kids are around alot. We don't cover her crate with a towel because it's pretty dark in the room already at night and the type of crate we have is more like a travel carrier, plastic with some cut-outs on the sides, so it's more enclosed than the wire-type ones.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hmmm ok lets try, how close to bedtime do you take her out to piddle, etc. try playing fetch with her to tire her out. She may just have a little extra energy than before. But don't go through and comfort her as this is enforcing the behavior. If she has to go out to piddle take her, and right back to bed. Tell her to lay down, go to bed, whatever it is you tell her. Even if she starts crying keep going, don't look back, no shhhh. And turn the baby monitor off.
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
hmmm ok lets try, how close to bedtime do you take her out to piddle, etc. try playing fetch with her to tire her out. She may just have a little extra energy than before. But don't go through and comfort her as this is enforcing the behavior. If she has to go out to piddle take her, and right back to bed. Tell her to lay down, go to bed, whatever it is you tell her. Even if she starts crying keep going, don't look back, no shhhh. And turn the baby monitor off.
We always take her out to pee right before bed, even if she was out just a short while before. Do you think it's ok to play with her right before bed and get her all riled up? I guess maybe play but not put her to bed right away. Give her time to settle down.

I worry about not using the monitor for the entire night (this is the mommy in me talking!) I get anxious if I can't hear her if she's crying. Just a habit I'll have to get out of I guess!
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:34 AM
-

see i'm not a mommy, my kids were grown when i got them The whole point is to not hear the crying, 'cause little mommy heart break and then they have to go through and make it all better. Right!!!!