Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Mock Pregnancy Or A Pregnant Dog?

To make it brief, I'm Ashley and I'm new to this site. I have two blue nose APBT's, a male and female.

In May/June my female was noticeably in heat swollen vulva, swollen nipples, bloody discharge. Well around June 12-15 she became receptive.We separated them as she is still young and we didn't want to breed. She was an escape artist and kept getting out at night. We don't know if they tied or not. Well flash forward to mid to late July she starts developing breast tissue, and all the while her vulva has never became un-swollen. So I started thinking that she was pregnant. When her breast tissue started to develop it was only the back and now in the last to weeks its her front too. It's noticeable but not to the point were a stranger could tell unless they were really looking at her belly, well the back is but not so much the front but it is definitely developed. My problem is that she doesn't have a swollen belly at all. I've called around some vets say wait it out some say bring her in. She is a small( short/stocky) female. I just don't really know what to think. I'm always worried because if there is one I here they grow bigger and she's so small. Her breeder says he usually has c-sections so I just don't know what to think!!!! Can anyone help my jitters???
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, a vet can help your jitters. But you will have to take your dog to the vet, they can't tell over the phone. Taking your dog to the vet is the very least you can do for the dog. Make an appointment immediately. I seriously hope your dog is not pregnant, and I would strongly recommend you ask the vet about spaying her while you have her in there. There are more than enough APBT's out there already and we really don't need any more falling into the wrong hands. Good luck.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM

I'm really not that jittery. I just don't know if it's normal to have a swollen vulva in a mock pregnancy. I talked to my regular vet who said wait 3 more weeks and then if nothing happens bring her in. So I called several other and got mixed comments. I guess I just wanted more opinions. I know that is the best option always but I want some more opinions before I spent hundreds of dollas when I could wait it out you know???
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:16 PM

I don't need a lecture about spaying or neutering, or my wonderful dogs. I asked about the mock or real pregnancy Thank You!
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley733 View Post
I don't need a lecture about spaying or neutering, or my wonderful dogs. I asked about the mock or real pregnancy Thank You!
I am sorry but if you don't want lectures you should have gone to a breeding site. Not a site that is pro s/n. We don't do mock pregnancys or otherwise.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM

This the only site I could find... I'm sorry I offended you people I just wanted advice I guess I will go else where.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM

It wasn't like it was planned I kept my dogs separated one was in the run and the other one wasn't and since was receptive she wanted to be with him, I don't even think it happened. I just saw this was a pet forum so I posted.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
This the only site I could find... I'm sorry I offended you people I just wanted advice I guess I will go else where.

Hang on while I google breeding sites. Maybe they can help. Or a vet. Vet costs are the price you pay for breeding I guess.

You are quite welcome to stay on this site. We welcome new members. Just be aware, as stated in our rules, most of us are very pro s/n.

Ok, try some of these........
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...meta=&aq=f&oq=
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Did you even read any of my posts???? That I have spoke with my vet?? That I called other vets??? That this was not a planned breeding and I am not a breeder???? I was just hoping since this was a pet forum maybe someone went through something similar... Thats all... don't waste your time looking for sites I'm not a breeder nor to I intent on being one, this was NOT planned. Thank you for your time.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM

I have always been pro s/n. I understand that. Are dogs aren't for reasons but one day will. I just came for advice and I hate when people jump on you when they don't anything of what is going on. I'm sorry if I came off rude but all I wanted is advice or someone who has been through this. I just try not to reflect my views upon others because you can never change someones mind and it's frustrating when others do. It wont get anyone anywhere arguing what one thinks is right you know? I don't even know what I'm saying anymore haha I just thought it was a pet board so I came.
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Did you even read any of my posts???? That I have spoke with my vet?? That I called other vets??? That this was not a planned breeding and I am not a breeder???? I was just hoping since this was a pet forum maybe someone went through something similar... Thats all... don't waste your time looking for sites I'm not a breeder nor to I intent on being one, this was NOT planned. Thank you for your time.
Wow!! Did you even read our rules? Yes, I read what you wrote. I am just trying to let you know you will be getting some flak. Now, you can either take my help as much as I can or you can talk to breeders. Or.... abort.

We are not vets or breeders and can not give medical advise. We can't tell if you dog is pregnant.
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:12 PM

I don't believe in abortion. I also apologized. I really didn't think it would be a big deal to ask a question hoping someone has been through it... Do you know how to delete an account?? I would like mine deleted.
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I don't believe in abortion. I also apologized. I really didn't think it would be a big deal to ask a question hoping someone has been through it... Do you know how to delete an account?? I would like mine deleted.
But you do believe in euthanising thousands of adult dogs daily due to the overpopulation of dogs because of "accidents" and "I don't believe in abortion".

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Oh

People on here really promote s/n. no use getting hostile with everyone. Go see your vet and then please get them both neutered.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm a softy

interesting. . . . Dont think u were attacked. . . .is there a reason ur dogs r not spayed? It is not rocket science to predict what can happen. You need to go to the vet. If u dont abort one dog will be killed for every pup u have. Regardless lives are lost so why bring more and be the cause and part of the problem? U r responsible for ur dog and that means sometimes spending hundreds when u dont want to. Make the appt. Do the right thing and take her to the vet. If she is neg. Run home get ur male and have him fixed why is he not neutered? keep them seperated and watch them at all times. For not wanting to breed and being pro s/n it doesnt sound like u r doing a lot to stop it.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Do you know how to delete an account?? I would like mine deleted.
Simply don't post again and stop visiting the site. Easy.

The only person who can help you is a vet....very few of our members have dealt with pregnant dogs, and regardless it is impossible to tell over the internet. Get your pup to the vet ASAP, and IF she does have puppies, contact an APBT rescue group for assistance/advice in placing the puppies in appropriate homes.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM
-

Quote:
Did you even read any of my posts???? That I have spoke with my vet?? That I called other vets???
and you think calling vets and asking on a pet forum is enough ? How about taking your to the vet instead of just calling !

Quote:
I don't believe in abortion. I also apologized. I really didn't think it would be a big deal to ask a question hoping someone has been through it...
not a big deal ? well it is ! you said yourself that your dog was too young so you rather have her maybe pregnant and have complications while delivering and maybe die from them , than abort ? Wow .....
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't understand owning two dogs if you can't afford to take your dog to the vet or don't want to spend the money. If your female is pregnant and she is so young, you may well end up spending thousands of dollars on medical expenses if she has complications. Only your vet can advise you on if she is pregnant and what to expect (or breeders and you're not a breeder right). Really if you love your dog, go to the vet and get some expert advice. Dogs are not cheap to own, that's just a fact of life.
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I could give you a great deal of information on this but I think you need to sit down with a vet, if she is pregnant you are going to need to get prepared for potential expenses should you choose to go through with the litter (which is my thoughts on what you are doing) you will need to know the signs of potential problems arising while she is in labour, need to have her looked at by a vet shortly after whelping, and not to mention prenatal care for puppies is just as important as it is for human babies.
I take it you purposely have a breeding pair there and know very little about breeding except making a quick buck ( can't help but chuckle at that thought) if all were to go smoothly you maybe could, but again risking those pups going into the wrong hands and making owning such a magnificant breed impossible for the responsible owners of said breed ( look at Ontario for example). Plus every "breeder" ends up with a few pups for a bit longer than anticipated and they start to destroy your house, but I"m sure you know this. BYB'ers discount the pups for quick sale or turn over to shelters. Very sad...

I doubt you will be back here but in the off chance you are looking to come back fists swinging to argue with the people here who devote their time, lives, homes and hearts to rescues from people who breed in such an irresponsible way, you have a whole lot of nerve. The wonderful people here have a world of information and more experience in the real animal world than you could imagine and to tell them it is "no big deal" is a slap in the face to them like no other.

Please take some time and educate yourself on what you are about to do and the impact it is going to have on SO many dogs. The economic situation around the world right now is enough to have MANY ethical breeders not producing litters regardless of how much they want to go through with it for future show or breeding prospects. With hundreds of thousands of people losing jobs daily cut backs are made, what is the first to go in a cut back? Leisurely items, and sadly family pets fall into this category far too often. Shelters are going to be facing being over crowded as it is, if they are not already.
There have been stories from the US of horse people trailering somewhere and heading out on a trail ride only to return to their trailer and find other horses in or tied to it. Imagine how many dogs are in the car right now just driving down a bush road thinking they are going somewhere wonderful only to be dumped there and left to fend for themselves? How would you like it if that was one of your pups? I couldn't handle that thought, I couldn't handle bringing a pup into the world right now and not being sure of the outcome in its so called "forever home" even with the screening processes I have set out for, in the event I do one day breed.
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
and you think calling vets and asking on a pet forum is enough ? How about taking your to the vet instead of just calling !
Well said.

This is a pro spay and neuter board which is pointed out when you enter the site. Everyone here would have had the male fixed before bringing a female into their home and would have then had the female fixed at the first opportunity.
No not all of us have neuetered pets. My two boys have not been neutered yet, and judging by the way they're developing, it's not going to happen until after their third birthday, but if I also would not even consider bringing an unaltered female into my home until they were.

I wonder how many puppies are going to end up in shelters because you have an intact male and female living in the same home. How many are going to end up in puppy mills or dog fighting rings. How many are going to be put down because of your actions. That is why the people here are so upset, they're not worried about what you think, they worry about your dogs and their offspring.

Why exactly do you have an unaltered male and female? Starting up a new business by any chance?

clm