Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM

chapped nose

This winter my 5 year old border collie is experiencing an extremely dry nose. At times it cracks and bleeds a little, like human hands when exposed to harsh winter conditions. We live in the upper midwest, and we've experienced a colder than usual winter, which might be leading to this discomfort. I've added olive oil and coconut oil to the food to internally deal with the issue. I've also used coconut oil on his nose externally as a moisturizer. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old January 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
-

Welcome to the forum Birdie_M

I would think the coconut oil should help. Have you tried vaseline or a bit of neosporin?

Is there any discolouration at all?
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Birdie_M!

Is the nose cracking on top or around the nostrils? Is there any discharge?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM

I'm leaning away from using any chemical products because he will ingest them. There is cracking, a little bleeding, but no discharge. It's entirely on the outside of his nostrils; there is nothing unusual exiting his nose. He does have some loss of pigmentation though.
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM

my girl gets very chapped feet in the winter. i use vitamin e oil on them and it works wonderfully its something that isnt a problem if she licks her feet. it is rather thick, so i am not sure if it would bother your poochie's nose...but perhaps worth a shot
Zana - Female grey longhaired, 16yrs - RIP
Chewie - Female Rotti/Shepherd, 3yrs
Malkin - Male grey longhaired, 2yrs
Taffy - Female yellow lab, 5mos
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM
-

Birdie_M, have you had your vet take a look at his nose?

There is an auto-immune disease called canine discoid lupus that causes these symptomes in it's early stages. It is also called Collie Nose as collies are one of the breeds prone to it but I don't know if it also includes the border collie.
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Also, if you're using a plastic food or water bowl, switching to a metal bowl might help. Some dogs react to plastic.

But definitely have a vet check the nose if you haven't already.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Thanks for all the info. I haven't taken him to the vet yet. I'm going to try the moisturizer route before going to the vet since this is the only symptom he has. His pads are fine, muzzle and eyes are fine.

This forum has helped me discover collie nose, though. Collie nose is also referred to as nasal solar dermatitis. To my understanding, it's simply the skin reacting to sun and dry conditions, like a sunburn. Nasal solar dermatitis is much less detrimental than Canine Discoid Lupus. Lupus must be treated with steroids and vitamin E.

I will definitely keep an eye on my boy. If his nose worsens or any other signs show up, it will be a quick trip to the vet.
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:11 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie_M View Post
This forum has helped me discover collie nose, though. Collie nose is also referred to as nasal solar dermatitis. To my understanding, it's simply the skin reacting to sun and dry conditions, like a sunburn. Nasal solar dermatitis is much less detrimental than Canine Discoid Lupus. Lupus must be treated with steroids and vitamin E.

From http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...lx?P=C&C=7&S=1

Quote:
Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE)
Known as “collie nose,” discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE) is an inflammatory skin disease seen in dogs and, very rarely, in cats. It usually affects the face and nose. It’s possible that DLE is a non-systemic type of systemic lupus erythematosus, but it isn’t as serious as SLE.
From http://www.collie.us/collie_rescue.html

Quote:
Collie Nose is a discoloration of the nose pigment diagnosed as Discoid Lupus Erythematosus.
I think all these conditions get mixed up at times and only your vet would be able to give your a correct diagnosis. It would also be easier to treat if it is caught in the early stages before it spreads.