Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM

Flies attacking my dog

Quick question... I live out in the Beaches (Toronto) and for the past week or two the flies down by the water have gotten really bad. I see them flying around other dogs, but for whatever reason they LOVE mine. Sometimes he can have up to 30 or 40 of them on him. They drive him nuts... he ends up going in circles trying to bite them off and rolls around on the ground.

I realize it's probably because he goes in the water. He's part lab and keeping him out is kinda difficult (especially since it's the park we always go to and is just around the corner from home). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to either prevent it or make it less of a nuisance for him? Is there a spray or ointment you could use? (Although, going in the water would probably negate the effectiveness of that)

Thanks!
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Have you tried citronella? It's supposed to work for fleas and mosquitos. Personally I hate the smell of it. It give me a migraine! lol I guess it's also a human repelent! lol Solid Gold carries a product I think called Flea Shoo or something like that. You can even get "herbal" flea collars with citronella.
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

you could try avons skin so soft, i know it works on mosquitos and black flies, not sure about regular flies.
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My MIL's Akita used to be attacked by flies, until his ears bled/ I would go to a farm supply store (i know it may be far for you, there is one in Bowmanville), and buy this roll on stuff, it was good for horses and dogs, it worked great.
I also heard bounce sheets (has to be bounce and not any other kind) tied around the dogs collar also works.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Hmmm... I'll try the bounce sheet to see if that does anything. Not sure it'll work that well went wet... but hey, you never know! I'll report back.
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM
-

There's a product called Flys-Off .....

http://www.petco.com/product/2033/Fa...-for-Dogs.aspx
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM

I tried the Bounce sheet last night and it worked surprisingly well. There were a few times that flies would land on his back, but they didn't bother him nearly as much as they have been. I'm not sure if it was just a better night last night for them or if the sheet actually worked. I'm going to keep trying it to see if it was a coincidence or not.

Thanks for the Flys-off suggestion too. I knew that there had to be something out there for them. I might try that as well. Do you know if you can buy it in stores at all or just online?