Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 16th, 2011, 12:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The scarlet tanager was my fault, though--the minute I saw where it landed, I put the lens on manual. So I can't blame autofocus this time!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:08 PM
You can call me DOG!

I'm lovin' Mr. Pinky and happy to hear he/she's back!

Your Indigos are also very beautiful too. He/she adds a beautiful contrast to the pictures.

It's been a very, very wet 48 hours here and our Orioles have gone through 8 tablespoons of Grape Jelly since yesterday morning! They appear to not like Grape Juice!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Well, Hazel, you posted your scarlet taneger picture., so I will post my black-throated blue warbler picture. Plus a couple I really liked of a chickadee and a wood pecker. In a couple days I'll have some ready of a red-winged blackbird and some swallows.
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Beautiful shots, obc! And that's a great catch of the black-throated blue tucked into his shrubbery! Warblers are difficult to catch in the open, the lil s!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Senior Contributor

those are such gorgeous pictures I almost hate to post mine!! *L*
this is/was my overnight visitor, poor thing tried to come in through the front window, after a night of warming up, I think he's ready to take flight, so right now he's in a large box with a branch, getting ready for take off. ummm what is he? *L*

Old May 18th, 2011, 07:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thrush, I think....my guess would be veery, though they're usually much rustier in color. What a sweetie!

Old May 18th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

she was a sweetie, she flew off about 20 minutes after her photography session
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yay! Sweet success!!

Old May 18th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Doggie Wench

Hazel, I was waiting around the last couple of days for you to post your new photos and didn't think to check here .

I love them all but the Indigo Bunting and Yellow-rumped Warbler are my absolute favorites .

Ownedbycats, I so love your photos too, especially the Woodpecker . And I'm so jealous of your cameras .

Melinda, taking care of that bird is very admirable .

And today...I saw my very first two Orioles , just when I said in one of klmccallum's threads the other day that I've never seen any before. I hope none of the neighbors were looking out their windows cuz I was so excited I squealed and pointed them out to Lucky . I did have my camera but I kinda scared them away to the tops of the trees and my zoom isn't strong enough . Do they stay in one area all season? I'm going to get dh to pick up some grape jelly tomorrow and hope they stick around for a while yet .
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Lucky - a good camera helps but practice photographing and stalking the birds helps too. This is my second summer with my camera and I go for photo walks at least twice a week, if it's not raining. I practice walking up to the birds one step at a time. They look away, I step, freeze, take another step, freeze (and take a picture every step 'cause you never know when they will scare or just plain decide to move.) I usually do this in the same area, so partly it's me getting better and partly it's the birds getting used to me. The woodpeckers are noisy, making them easy to find so I pratice on them a lot. I swear they are starting to see me and go ,"oh, that thing again, ignore it, it's harmless."
That woodpecker shot was taken from only a couple feet away, broad daylight, no blind or anything. Of course, other birds take off if I get within a mile of them and no pictures.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW,beautiful pics
Melinda what a sweet little bird,I bet you felt good seeing him fly off
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
And today...I saw my very first two Orioles , just when I said in one of klmccallum's threads the other day that I've never seen any before. I hope none of the neighbors were looking out their windows cuz I was so excited I squealed and pointed them out to Lucky . I did have my camera but I kinda scared them away to the tops of the trees and my zoom isn't strong enough . Do they stay in one area all season? I'm going to get dh to pick up some grape jelly tomorrow and hope they stick around for a while yet .
I'm so happy for you LP! If you get some kind of plastic container (dollarstore ones are great) for now and screw it down onto a post or flat surface and fill it with the jelly, they'll come back with their babies and friends and stay all summer!

It's so cute to see the bigger ones teaching the little ones how to eat the jelly out of the container. Last year, the little babies came up to the feeder around July.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Doggie Wench

Klm, I've got some in a shallow sour cream container hanging on a Shepherd's hook for now (I desperately want to keep the Orioles around) but, dh is getting a bunch of posts this weekend for me .

I plopped down nearby the bird feeder, not so much with the intention of photographing them but, just to observe. I did manage to get a few pics but the quality is awful when I use the zoom on my camera. I'll share though, just cuz I'm so excited about this .

We have lots of Doves...this fella wasn't as shy as his buddies hiding in the trees behind him.

Name:  MB1.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  88.5 KB

He's got a beak-full .

Name:  MB2.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  49.7 KB

This reminded me of my boys eating spaghetti when they were younger .

Name:  MB3.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  52.1 KB
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Doggie Wench

Can someone tell me what these two cute little fellas are ? Are they the same kind of bird cuz their markings are different?

Name:  MB4.JPG
Size:  77.5 KB
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ma and Pa House Sparrow in that last--he's the one with the black bib and she's the cute chick next to him.

Those pictures aren't bad at all, LP!! I like the dove shot especially!!!!

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
You can call me DOG!

I personally like the one that reminded LP of her boys eating spaghetti when they were younger!

Pictures are in fine detail LP.

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Doggie Wench

Thank you Hazel!

One more question . Most of the birds feed off the ground (crows and squirrels usually hog the feeder ). I'm hopefully going to be putting up more feeders this weekend but, is that usual for the birds to not use the feeder?
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM
You can call me DOG!

Took these the other day in the rain!

Name:  IMG_0446.JPG
Size:  60.0 KB

My turn--SWITCH!!

Name:  IMG_0449.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  56.5 KB

SWITCH!! FYI...Little hummer guy in the background on the clothes line.

Name:  IMG_0448.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  59.3 KB

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aw, the Mr and the Mrs at the grape jelly!

LP, if the feeders are being hogged by bigger birds or squirrels, it's not unusual for other birds to eat from the ground. We've got so many birds this spring that I fill all the feeders every morning and then throw another gallon and a half on the ground along the edge of the shrubs to accommodate everyone. If squirrels are a problem, some people will put out a squirrel feeder and fill it with unsalted peanuts-in-the-shell to keep them busy. Then the birds can eat in peace...at least till the peanuts are gone.

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Thanks again Hazel. Looks like I'll be making frequent trips to the Co Op in the village .

Love your Orioles, klm ...'cept Mr. should show some chivalry and let his girliefriend eat first .

It was two males that I saw yesterday. That would mean there are females around too, right ?
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep, probably. And there are probably more males than you think, too! I would have bet money that we only had one pair of orioles last year. One day I set up the blind to get some pics, put out the grape jelly, and suddenly there were three males queued up at the feeder!!! And of course they all had their lady-loves, too. This year we have over a dozen birds...they go through a 32 oz jar of jelly in less than 4 days, the gluttonous things!!!

Old May 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel here are my resident doves....not good pics sorry! arent they sweet!
Attached Images

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I love the Orioles,I am not sure where to put the Jelly though,I do not have an acreage like some of you girls..but I'll figure a way..

LP,in defense of Crows,I have never seen a Crow at my feeders,don't believe they eat seeds,peanuts yes,but no seeds.
At my house they eat left-overs
In this pics they are eating leftover pork-roast,hubs wanted a porksandwich for lunch,but he was too late..
"My"Crows have 3 babies already...
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Was that late or early, Winston? Doves are pretty...and pretty cute. Are these your regulars?

Wow, three young'uns already, chico?! As cold as it's been here, I don't think we've got any young'uns at all unless the cavity birds are holdin' out a surprise for us.

That pork roast looks yummy!

Old May 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

The young Crows are sooo funny,they are afraid to touch the meat,wait for the parents to feed them.
Hubby did not get upset,my motto is,if leftovers are in the fridge for 3 days,it's Crow-food
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Anyone want some rose-breasted grosbeaks? It's beginning to look a lot like that movie The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock, except with grosbeaks instead of crows!

Name:  Waiting for a spot at the feeder 5-14-11.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  130.9 KB

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:49 PM
You can call me DOG!

The birds is one of my all time favorites! Did you stage most of the grosbeaks to look in the same direction in that picture Hazel? Great shot!

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nah, they don't take direction very well.

There sure are a lot of them this year! Did you see the pics at the bottom of pg 27? They're very photogenic, which makes them hard to resist when madame hazel has the camera in hand...

Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh yes!!! The underwing picture! I remember that!

But I was also caught up with Mr. Pinky, Indigo Bunting, Orioles and hummers too!

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Red-winged blackbird

Name:  Red-winged blackbird 5-14-11 B.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  67.1 KB