Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 20th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Superpet closing sale!

Hi Everyone,

For those that don't know yet, Superpet has been bought out by Petsmart. What this translates into right now is some pretty good (okay amazing sales) They seem to be only located in Ontario (mainly Ottawa and Southern Ontario). WE have 4 in Ottawa and the savings range from 25% to 75% off. One of the salespeople told me that basically any product that petsmart doesn't carry will be liquidated. The one that is 75% is scheduled to close first (they are supposed to be closed for a couple of days and then re-open as petsmart).

Today's bill came to $129.00 but the savings portion showed I saved $340.66 . I got Merrick's wet and dry food. The wet was .75 a can and the HUGE bag of dry was $16 (alot better than 3.29 and $65!). Bought the 2 bags of dry and 5 cases of wet they had left. Thought I got a good deal on Saturday when I got it at 50% off! Got a bunch of the Merrick's chew things (Texas toothpick's, chews for Senior dogs, cow's ears, bully sticks etc). Got brushes and assorted grooming tools(pretty much one of each they had at 75% off ), skunk de-odorizer (Sister's dog already got it once this year and at 75% off I figured she would appreciate that!), a variety of other treats for both the dogs and cats.

Saturday, I splurged and got a grooming table for 50% off (didn't have them at the store that was 75% off), plus a whole bunch a grooming tools (none left at the 75% off store so I wasn't too upset). I even saw several types of Solid Gold dog food, eagle pack and a few others at 50% off. Too bad our dogs weren't fond of the sold gold, I would of bought that as well. We have several fussy eaters and they like the Merrick's, so we stick with it. Right now though, in between the wet food, dry food, treats etc, my livingroom looks like a Merrick's distributor or a grooming shop!

I'm having a blast, with 4 dogs, 3 cats and 4 fish, I'm like a kid in a candy store! The clerk told me yesterday that she was posting more stuff later in the day. Guess where I will be this morning after work??

Brenda

Last edited by bj601; June 20th, 2007 at 05:32 AM.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:54 AM

Wow! I guess I will be heading out at lunch - I work on Merivale, so I will check that one out.

Thanks for the tip!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:37 AM

No Problem!

I was so excited I had to come here and share. The one on Merivale is 50%, Orleans is 75% and Kanata last time I checked was only 25%. But even at 50%, the stuff isn't lasting long. Merivaleis the one I saw the solid gold, eagle pack etc dog food at. Orleans didn't have any left. The Merrick's was going pretty quickly too. Orleans had the Dick van Patten brand (it was .90 a can) and had leashes and stuff on sale that Merival didn't (the Lupine Brand leashes were 75% off as was the Harley Davidson stuff). Merivale had more grooming stuff left (but the guy said it was flying off the shelf). Having 4 dogs, with 4 different hair types (shih tzu. border collie, schnauzer terrier mix and a great dane), I had a lot of fun in that section! I know the girl in Orleans siad they would be the first to go, so they had to clear it out quickly. I'm guessing Merivale may be next and Kanata last. Not sure what the one at Barhaven is at, haven't been there yet! I will be at them frequently though as I am stalking some of the really expensive clippers. I know Merivale had some of the grooming scissors on sale, I am hoping the clippers will go on sale as well. Merivale also had the metal exercise pens (the octagonal ones) at half price. Orleans doesn't seem to have as much in the way of grooming tables (none), pens etc.

Brenda
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Well, just got back and..... :sad: didn't spend a dollar!!!! I want to change my dogs over to another food (soldgold or wellness), but the guy said that Petsmart won't be adding any new foods to their inventory, so that won't help me. However, he did give me the address of another pet store that carries some of the better foods.

I saw a lot of nice toys on sale but Buster destroys all stuffies so even at a cheaper price, not much use in buying them. I will probably go back in a week or so and see if things are down to 75% off!!! I did look at Harley stuff but my Harley has pretty much everything they have (collar, leash, bandana etc)

btw....I think the Merivale Store closes on August 1st.....

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.

Last edited by BusterBoo; June 20th, 2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: additional comments
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Anything for cats???? Too bad there are none that I know of in the Maritimes - maybe one in Fredericton come to think of it but that's not Halifax!
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Yes, cat stuff is on sale too!!!! (food, toys, etc)

Old June 20th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

If you see the Canine Friendly Harness/Seat Belt combo at a discount that might be well worth buying. PetSmart does not carry this brand - my dog has 3 that I buy from his Groomer and they are great. I was in a SuperPet store in Toronto last year and while I didn't really notice a big difference in its inventory over PetSmart, SuperPet did carry said Harnesses. Guess I might be kind of surprised though if they put them at 50 - 75% off. They might carry a bigger selection of food, but they didn't carry my guy's Fromms. The have 4 stores in Ottawa area - that is a lot!
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:38 PM

Harleybuster, good to know when the store might close, I can scope out that one closer to the closing . I know on Saturday they had some of the solid gold and wellness (the wellness wasn't on sale so I thought Petsmart sells that?). The solid gold was 50% but I didn't think it would last that long at that price (they also only had a few bags of it) and Orleans had the eagle pack. I think they started carrying it after the recall, it seems each store may have been trying a few new brands. I don't remember ever seeing solid gold etc in there before the recall. We usually get the dogs food at either global or a small independent store out March Rd. If I am in a superpet, I will grab a can of the Merrick's if I know I am low. But after Tuesday, I won't have to worry about food for awhile. I got 22 cans at 50% off and 60 cans at 75% off, plus 2 30 lb bags af the dry at 75% off. This morning I went back and pretty much cleaned them out of the Merrick's cow ears (they were .40 each).

I know a couple of the girls I have talked to are pretty upset over them switching as they don't carry some of the dog food. They were pretty excited over having the solid gold etc.

Snowdancer, I got one of those seatbelt/leash combos this morning! It is made by a company called Bamboo. They had several different models, harness/leash/seatbelt combo. 3 foot leash/seatbelt combo/ 6 foot leash/seatbelt combo etc. I got the 6 foot one as they didn't have any harness combos small enough for Neesa. It was 75% off. As for the food, I think they were trying a few brands to see how it would go over. They have had Merrick's for awhile. I tried some several different foods with Neesa and Buddy and Neesa is soooooooo picky, she wouldn't even touch a couple of them. I think I have the only dog who didn't like Canidae . Merrick's was the overall winner with them so we stuck with that one.

It seems like they sell the same stuff, but there is actually alot of items that are a different brand than Petsmart. If it is a brand they don't carry then they are getting rid of it. This morning I noticed the Kong refills for Puppies were reduced, as was several different beds, bowls, elevated bowl stands, t-shirts, and toys that weren't on sale yesterday (guess what got bought today ). It seems like stuff is being added daily (they are putting up the signs as fast as they can. I am not sure when Orleans is closing, the girl couldn't tell me, but the treasure hunt sure is fun!!! Going back tomorrow with my cousin as she apparently got a beagle puppy this morning, so I am going to take her shopping .

Brenda
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:54 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I'm going to go to the one here.i need a new piece for my hyperdog sling shot.once it switches to petsmart i won't go in to the store.
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:04 AM

angeldogs, I think the some of the ones around Southern Ontario are changing to a PJ's Pets. There is 2 Superpets and 5 Superpet expresses that will convert to a PJ's Pets. I am not familiar with them but if I remember what I read, they unfortunately still sell puppies in the stores:sad: . I rarely go to Petsmart, usually it was when Neesa was younger and that was to socialize her. I work in one end of town and live in the other, so between home and work there is Petsmart, Superpet, Petcetera, and many smaller independent places that we visit. The last time we were in Petsmart they were in the process of renevating and it was a disasiter. Floors ripped up, fork lifts and other machine moving around, things being dropped. The noise level was through the roof. We pretty much walked in and turned around and left. I felt so bad for the animals in the store.

I will miss the staff in some of the departments. The one in Kanata and Orleans was pretty good. Kanata had an awesome guy in the fish department who knew what he was doing and had some amazing contacts for getting fish. He was able to get some awesome koi, wakin and other goldies from Japan. The girl I talked to in the food section wasn't really looking forward to the switch.

Brenda
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:05 AM

HarleyBuster, do you remember what cat food was on sale? Orleans hasn't put the kitty food on sale, just the grooming stuff and a few treats.
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:34 AM
Working GSD Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj601 View Post
angeldogs, I think the some of the ones around Southern Ontario are changing to a PJ's Pets. There is 2 Superpets and 5 Superpet expresses that will convert to a PJ's Pets. I am not familiar with them but if I remember what I read, they unfortunately still sell puppies in the stores:sad: . I rarely go to Petsmart, usually it was when Neesa was younger and that was to socialize her. I work in one end of town and live in the other, so between home and work there is Petsmart, Superpet, Petcetera, and many smaller independent places that we visit. The last time we were in Petsmart they were in the process of renevating and it was a disasiter. Floors ripped up, fork lifts and other machine moving around, things being dropped. The noise level was through the roof. We pretty much walked in and turned around and left. I felt so bad for the animals in the store.

I will miss the staff in some of the departments. The one in Kanata and Orleans was pretty good. Kanata had an awesome guy in the fish department who knew what he was doing and had some amazing contacts for getting fish. He was able to get some awesome koi, wakin and other goldies from Japan. The girl I talked to in the food section wasn't really looking forward to the switch.

Brenda

I noticed the new one that just opened not too long ago in Brockville now says SuperPets and under neath that sign it says
PJ Pets Express! I wondered what that meant or if it was just a partner or something.

I found their prices extremely high; at least in Brockville! I could get the exact samethings at Pet Value, country depot and even Canadian Tire for less.
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj601 View Post
HarleyBuster, do you remember what cat food was on sale? Orleans hasn't put the kitty food on sale, just the grooming stuff and a few treats.
Sorry....not a cat owner, so didn't really look, I just saw lots of sale tags and they were rearranging all the cat food. Not sure if you called them if they would be able to tell you what foods are currently on sale.

Old June 21st, 2007, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

BJ601 - The harnesses my Eskie has are bib-like and made by Canine Equipment Limited. Haven't seen the one made by Bamboo. What I like about the Canine Equipment - Friendly version is that my Eskie can't get out of it - and he looks so cute - wearing his "baby" big. I don't like PJ's either - made the mistake of going into the one in Toronto in desperation looking for something - well I was feeling pretty desperate to get the heck out of there when I first smelled and then saw the hundreds of puppies - including my soul mate breed - mini Dachshunds.
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:03 PM
Meaghan Edwards

I found a great dog comb for $6 at the Burlington location. At Petcetera, the same comb was $14 Some of the teeth in their combs didn't even look straight.
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM

I am soooo jealous!

I just love a sale and would love to be able to get in on this one.

Kudos to all of you who are able to get in on the deals!
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Got a PowerMax 5000 55w UV for the pond regular 345.00 for 86.00 and a powermax 2400 pump, regular over 300.00 for 82.00

Cindy
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:07 AM

clm, now I'm jealous! I keep going in hoping to get a bigger pump for the pond, but so far none of the pond stuff has been marked down.

Mom_of_Two_Dogs, awesome on the comb! I grabbed a bunch at 50% off and then some different ones at 75% off. Can never have too many .

I was under the impression that it was only products that Petsmart didn't carry that would be liquidated but today they had reduced the Furminator's ($10 for the small), other brands of dog food, knogs and a few other things I have seen at Petsmart, oh and the loofah dogs (the long stuffed dogs that make a kind of honking sound) were reduced also, 1.49 for the medium, and 1.99 for the large.

Oh well, it's fun for me. It's like a treasure hunt in the morning to see what has been reduced that day. Plus with the amount of dogs in my family, extended family, friends and boss, I have a list form everyone of stuff to look for. Even better when you get to spend other people's money
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:47 AM

PJs Pets in Misissauga (Square One) still sells puppies and kittens AFAIK. Last time I was there was about 6 months ago. They have the weirdo "designer mutts" there - well the pups look cute, it's the cynical money making that bothers me. And one time they had a little of kittens - just DSH moggies, for $200 each! - and one looked sickly so this other woman and I mentioned it to a staff member - a bored looking teen who went and hauled the kitty out like it was a bit of trash. :sad: Apart from that the staff there are usually pleasant and helpful but after learning what I have learned here about BYBs etc I would prefer to shop elsewhere.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Not all of the superpets carry a lot of the pumps and UV's on sale. I went to the one in Oakville and it didn't have any, I went to my usual one in Brampton at Kennedy and Steeles and it had 3 or 4 good pumps at 75% off and the UV's at 75% off, some underwater lighting stuff too.

Marsupial momma, Superpet and Petsmart don't sell cats or dogs, they have shelter cats for adoption.

Cindy
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:11 AM

Hi clm - yes, I have seen the cats for adoption in the other stores. Maybe I misunderstood (haven't had any caffiene yet...) the references to PJs Pets stores in this thread I hope that the changes that are afoot don't lead to the other stores selling cats and dogs too.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I've heard that the Superpet Express stores are changing over to PJ's Don't like any PJ's and don't shop there. Never will until they stop selling puppies and kittens. I've never shopped in Petsmart either, but only because there isn't one anywhere near me, but the fact that they're clearing out all this stock at 75% off, it's obviously stuff they don't normally carry, so alternate sources for these items will have to be found. I'll have to check one out this weekend and see what they do carry.

Cindy
Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
Working GSD Lover

Yes the signs are up in Brockville...what use to be SuperPets.

It is going to be a PJ's!

I have never been in a PJ's but I do not shop at SuperPet either so big deal to me I guess.

Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I loved superpet for their dog toys. I won't darken the doorstep of a PJ's.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom View Post
I loved superpet for their dog toys. I won't darken the doorstep of a PJ's.
Superpet WAS owned by the same group of people that own PJ's.

Super Pet
1515 Matheson Blvd. E.
Suite 214
Mississauga, Ontario
L4W 2P5

PJ's Pet Centres Head Office
1515 Matheson Blvd E Unit 214
Mississauga ON
L4W2P5
Tel 905-625-9000
Fax 905-624-4447

I believe they are both owned by Hagen out of Quebec. Which owns 51% of Hunt Corporation!

http://www.profilecanada.com/company...Mississauga_ON

Last edited by Daniac; June 22nd, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM

Hi, I just registered today, specifically because we went into a Superpet and heard that they were bought from Petsmart, according to the guy in the store. Just wanted to see if anyone else heard that?

And if P.J.'s happened to be bought by them as well and if (dare I dream) they will no longer be selling puppies.

On a side note, I think I might know you Yasmeen from way back in the day. From Riverdale park, you had two black Danes, Zephyr and Magic? I had a large GSD named Banzai.

Ooops, edited to add, I just clicked on the Superpet site, seems like they have been bought by Petsmart.
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I just came back from the one in Scarborough, what a Great sale !!!
I got a faux suede cow skin bed for $5.00!! Maxx food for 25cents a can!! lots of toys and treats for cats (and I got some toys for Buster too)

They have everything for all pets, fish, birds, ferrets, and even stuff for outdoor ponds!

Here's the link for the locations near you. http://www.petsmart.com/superpet/

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~