Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:36 PM

Growing, yes, but they are still just bite-sized. One and Four doubled their birth weight at about 7.5 days. Two and Three aren't there yet. One has been growing very nicely, he was at a disadvantage being born first as it always lengthens the head, but only temporarily. They're getting quite adventurous, wandering around, despite being blind and deaf, as with the gorgeous weather they have no need to cuddle each other or mom for warmth.

Here's One with a kidney bean plant and his mom giving him a kiss. Sorry it's blurry, but after I remembered to turn on the flower setting, she would only kiss his other end. And two with a daffodil, they surprised me blooming so quickly without even buds visible a day before. She is still my favourite, might be the one who goes to live with mom's breeder, but they are as indecisive as I was when mom was this small.
Name:  110517Pups1n2.jpeg
Views: 376
Size:  106.3 KB

Here's Three with my Hyacinths. They didn't bloom last year, but they didn't have pretty pups to pose with, either. And Four with lunch.
Name:  110517Pups3n4.jpeg
Views: 376
Size:  132.6 KB
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Mickey, my angel

Great pics of all your beautiful puppies.

Thanks for the update.

Yes, bite size they are.

Love the one of mom giving baby a kiss. The one of #4 with her face beside the strawberry really gives a clear idea of how tiny they are. I can't imagine her being half that weight just over a week ago.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:27 PM

LOVE the strawberry "sizing". Wow , they're tiny!!
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Contributor

wow..either that is a huge "on steroids" strawberry or that puppy is very small...
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Senior Contributor

gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, *L* almost makes me change my mind about chi's, what little sweethearts they are
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Beautiful
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Well, today the little squirmers got their first nail trim as they've grown themselves sharp little claws that are starting to catch on their blanket. Once they're full-grown they're good for cat/rabbit/gp nail clippers, but for now regular human fingernail clippers do the trick.
Name:  110520NailTrim.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  39.1 KB

Here are the ladies, Two and Four, you can see who the heaviest of the lot is!
Name:  110520Ladies.jpeg
Views: 350
Size:  148.4 KB

And the gentlemen, Three and One, the weight difference isn't so obvious but you can see who has the biggest head!
Name:  110520Gentlemen.jpeg
Views: 327
Size:  140.9 KB
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM

I Don't Understand.

I don't understand?? You said days after being bred she had pyometria. So how did she end up having puppies?
The puppies are cuties
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

They are just so darn cute, SIA. If it were my litter I'd never get any work done. She's doing a good job, they look very content. The previous photo's are precious, a head the size of a strawberry but love mum getting her nose in that first one, making sure her baby is okay. The photo with the grape hyacinths really brings home how small they are.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:14 AM

Who, me? Stay in bed after my eyes are open for a half-hour of puppy-watching? Let dishes pile up in the sink because I can't wash them and hold a puppy at the same time? Never! Well, almost hardly ever. Good thing the weather's been nice enough they can... er... help... with the weeding and planting of the garden.

Just Peeking
Name:  JustPeeking.jpeg
Views: 359
Size:  175.6 KB
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

oh my...what sweetness to start my morning with!!!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM

Cute "peeking". And the spotted nose of #3 is just adorable.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfed View Post
I don't understand?? You said days after being bred she had pyometria. So how did she end up having puppies?
The puppies are cuties
I'll link you back to the original thread where SIAM says her dog was "showing symptoms of". Maybe that will help you understand rawfed.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75879

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

SIA, I can recall when my Dundee(sheltie) was small enough just to fit in my hand like that.
Miss those days, so love seeing your photo's.
By the way, a friend of mine with ACD's, asked her vet to spay a female that was having a caesar because she just had a feeling that a pyo was looming. The vet said no, but added that she'd take a look when she operated . Well, I think it was 3 pups in one horn of the uterus, a single pup and the start of pyometra in the other , so she did get spayed. The bad news there was that there was only one female pup, my friend definitely wanted to keep it, but it won't be a show specimen because of its head markings. They are not nice or even, they give it quite a surly look. Judges would take one look and expect to get bitten. LOL. I've had one like that, Sweetie. She had uneven markings that gave the impression that her muzzle was snipey, but when I put a tape measure all over her head, it measured just as good as her granddam's head, which was very nice(and plain faced).
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
Mickey, my angel

Awe, they are starting to open their eyes now. Absolutely adorable

On the other set of pics the fingernail clippers look enormous beside the puppy and I can clearly see the size differences you mentioned.

Beautiful pics, SIA. Keep them coming.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton

Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM

Sheltie-sized already, they grow so fast.
I like fairly even face markings, too, and in a patched puppy I like to see dark around both ears and both eyes. I do feel skull shape with my fingers, hold pups side by side to compare profiles, and even pull out a ruler to compare proportions. Markings on the face fade with age, and especially in new puppies they can really confuse things. Would I trade these marked guys in for a litter of black labs? Never!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Dundee was a very small baby, SIA, so cheer up, you haven't got big Chi's. What do they weigh at birth?
Face markings on shelties tone down a bit too, here is one of my pups, Alistair(to be named Tiber in his forever home) as an example. But, white markings are not quite like solid coloured patches in the wrong place. I hope for Chris's sake the pup looks better at maturity, but if not, well, the mating was done to preserve some very good old bloodlines, she and I are both very concerned about the state of the gene pool due to popular sire syndrome or whatever they call it now. That fad where everyone breeds to the one type/bloodline that judges care to put up. It has done so much damage to my breed here(as in lost bloodlines) that, all joking aside, to find an outcross you'd almost need to import dogs back from the States.
Know what you mean by the way, cattle dogs are born white, the only colour being the head markings, so it was interesting to later have sheltie pups where you could start geussing what shade they would turn out and hope for the perfect collars and even leg markings etc. for the show ring. The best pup as far as breed type goes was not always the best marked. LOL. Frustrating.
Attached Images

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM

They were about 4 oz, which is a nice size. For colour, they will do the same thing as Alistair/Tiber, more tan and less black & white. Two things different, they will not keep the dark sabling on the back, due to being short-haired; and some of them will be heavily ticked as well.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

4oz is tiny. My smallest shelties have been 6ozs, and according to a friend who's bred them for the past 30 to 40 years, anything 6 oz and under in this breed usually needs watching. It will be interesting watching your pups grow and change.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM

You might expect, that after almost 2 weeks of having their eyes glued shut, puppies would be excited about finally being able to explore their world visually. They would be up walking with their bellies held off the floor, then tumbling onto their backs in infantile clumsiness. You would think that even with the blurred vision that babies first start with, they would be eager to investigate light and shapes that were barely noticeable through those closed eyelids. For sure, they would experience this amazing new sensation with awe.

This assumption is absolutely correct.

It lasted about 5 minutes and that was on Sunday evening.

I enjoyed it immensely.

Name:  110524RobinChickadee.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  56.8 KB
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Senior Contributor

oh my god....just like human babies, I love starting my mornings off with this post.
Old May 25th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

What chubby little babies they have turned into. Mum is doing a great job.
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Mickey, my angel

Glad they are enjoying their little adventures in this strange new world.

Too adorable.

Makes me want to rub those chubby little bellies.

Old May 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

sooooooooo how much to rent them for a weekend??