Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 24th, 2003, 08:19 AM

SUMMER ALERT - Hot Weather Means Hot Pets

TORONTO, June 23 /CNW/ - Toronto is experiencing the heat of summer with temperatures reaching 30 C. The heat and humidity not only affects you, it also affects your pet. If you're uncomfortable in the heat, you can be sure your pet is just as uncomfortable.

<b>Practice Hot Weather Safety To Protect Your Pet</b>

- In hot weather, NEVER leave your pet in a parked car for any length of time. Within minutes, the temperature in a car can rise to 71 C, even with the windows open.

- Do not leave pets outside. Keep pets indoors with fresh water and ventilation.

- Take dogs for walks only early in the morning and later in the evening, when it is cooler outside.

- Pets are susceptible to sunburn, so limit your pet's exposure and consult your veterinarian about a suitable sunscreen.

- Watch out for hot pavement and sandy beaches. Pets' paws are sensitive and burn easily.

Pets suffering from heat intolerance may exhibit a red or purple coloured tongue, increased panting, glazed eyes and convulsions that can lead to collapse and possible death.

If you suspect your pet is suffering from heat stroke or exhaustion, remove your pet from the heat and place in a cool area. Gradually immerse your pet into warm (not hot) water, and then slowly cool the water.

Be sure a veterinarian examines your pet.

TORONTO HUMANE SOCIETY
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Here's an old thread that should be revived, no? Perfect timing...

(thanks, Guest #1 at 11:17pm tonight... )
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Oh boy..we have been HOT here! 108+ today. The worst worry I have right now is I am taking care of 2 dogs while their owners recuperate form a serious auto wreck. I met these dogs for the 1st time last Sunday, one is a pit chained in a pen in the back, the other is a big mixed breed, chained near the front door. These people have very few friends, and the ones they do have are TERRIFIED of these dogs. Well in less than 1 week I have made 2 great friends in these dogs. Problem is..they have to stay outside as the owners house is locked (they are w/ family members) and no one has a key!! So....I am there 2-3x's a day, changing water and watering the dirt where they dig. I would bring them to my house, but I have 4 of my own..and could not handle WW3. I just hope the weather eases up, and the dirt stays cool. Also the owners are afraid if I did get into the house and put the dogs in, I might not get near them again. Poor babies need mom and dad, but it will be at least another 2 weeks before they may come home. Any suggestions on helping them thru this hot as weather?
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:02 AM

Do they have shade?

Can you buy them a small kiddie pool? (dogs don't drown swimming alone in kiddie pools do they? )
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Oh, they get a little shade throughout the day, better than none at all! The big one (Bucky) on the first day I was there kept playing his paws in his drinking dishes! Sooo we scared up an old pool for him . I don't think it's deep enough for him to get in trouble! This morning was good for Cujo (pit)! I can now walk freely in his pen and he LOVES belly rubs!! Oh, I forgot to mention the rooster in the pen with Cujo. Rooster is enclosed in a seperate cage. Cujo HATES Rooster! I was worried I would get ate if I tried to feed Rooster from Cujo's pen. Ha...not a problem anymore. Cujo just barks when I feed the rooster now. Whew! I think he's jealous!