Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old December 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM

Update

I managed to get some pain med's. We now have tramadol, liquid, which I give around 0.2-0.5 ml's. I gave her 0.5ml yesterday straight up and got a lot of frothing, I mixed it in the water and gave it that way after she had some food.

She still drools and it still smells bad. Hoping the antibiotics will fix that.

Is it normal for stuff to come back up the tube? It's the same smell that she drools out? I figure that is not a good sign. She now hides under the couch.

Doesn't seem to be coming around. How long does it take before you see some kind of improvement. Am I just torturing the poor thing more? She looks miserable. How long do I keep doing this?

I guess I'm second guessing my decision to keep her going.
Old December 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh tiggy2, I'm so sorry that Tus is having such a rough go of this. It's heartbreaking to see our furry friends so sick. I really can't tell you how long to keep going, it's such an individual thing that only you and Tus and the vet can try to figure out. I can tell you about my own similar experiences.

My kitty, Aztec, developed diabetes almost 7 yrs ago, but it was probably a month or 2 until it dawned on me that something was up. Took him to the vet for blood work, and before I got the results back, he crashed (vomiting, wouldn't eat, hiding in the closet). Off to emergency we go, and it turns out he's developed diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), a life-threatening complication of untreated diabetes. He was knocking on death's door and needed intensive 24hr vet care for a week, plus a feeding tube, before he was able to come home. He was pretty miserable, hiding in the closet, exhausted and scared for several weeks. It was 3 months of tube-feeding every 6 hrs before he ate on his own, and most of my friends/family thought I was insane to put this much effort into saving him. But he pulled through! And now, at over 16 yrs of age, he is the happiest little love bug and the joy of my life.

His brother, Egypt, didn't make it to his 12th birthday. One day, he just stopped eating. When an appetite stimulant didn't have any effect after 24 hrs, he also went to emergency. An ultrasound showed a dangerously blocked gall-bladder and he was scheduled to have it removed that night. There had been no other evidence that anything was wrong. When they removed his gall-bladder, they also biopsied his liver/pancreas/intestines and put in a feeding tube. Biopsy results showed moderate IBD, which was a shock to me because he'd never had any symptoms (no diarrhea, no vomiting, good appetite). I was hopeful: IBD wasn't supposed to be fatal. But for him it was. His decline was steady and rapid, despite being on a cocktail of various drugs and supplements and forced feedings. 6 weeks after he first stopped eating, he gave me a look and a pleading meow that will haunt me forever. I couldn't get him to the vet fast enough, for the last time. I don't know what it was specifically that he couldn't overcome, whether maybe he had developed intestinal lymphoma (a potential off-shoot of IBD) or what else had been brewing inside his little body, but we'd come to the end of the road. I have no regrets over what happened, and instead look upon the whole thing as an amazing learning experience, with Egypt as my teacher. He taught me so much about love and life and death and for that, I will be forever grateful.

My heart goes out to you. Try to spend some time with Tus that aren't about her being sick, but just the 2 of you, sharing a peaceful moment, no thoughts of the future or the past. Focus on the sensations of that singular point in time, the warmth of her fur, the rise and fall of her chest as she breaths. Feel your love for her, and nothing else.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I will try and spend some non sick time with her

she's now hiding under the couch and growls at me, so my husband has taken up the feeding process for now. Rather have HER happy then ME. I can watch from the side

I'll let you know what's up in a couple of days
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Well it's Wed., and we did another trip to the vet's last nite. I really thought that would be it, but both the Vet and my other half were all for giving Tus a couple more days.

She has put on weight, almost 6oz in a week. Her coat looks better, according to the vet, she has had bowel movements, small ones, but good ones, and has not vomited anything up. The good things

The bad are she is soo weak, she can barely walk. Most of the muscle mass in the back legs are, non-exsistant, but what can you expect when you don't move for 5 days.

She did however come out from under the couch today and sit in her spot in the window)) We also made the bandage around her neck smaller, so it's less constricting.

I would like to get one of those sweaters that I have seen other cats have that have feeding tubes in. It would keep the tube in place without having the bulk of a bandage. The wrap we have now still pulls the tube and it looks like it could rip her skin. Remember she has 2 holes due to the mistake of the placing of the 1st tube. I change the bandage and put polysporin on it to help keep it clean.

Does anyone know where I can get or make a turtle neck sweater so I can keep the tube in place without having a big bandage? I don't think she would mind the warmth since winter is upon us.

Also does anyone know of a way to get her to walk more or get her legs strengthened, like rehab? I'm afraid if we don't get some strength back she'll be a long time coming back if at all. I'm hoping the snow will leave us in a couple of days and then I'd get her outside, she loves the outdoors

Still no interest in much, like she's depressed. The vet said to give her time as she has had a lot going on in the last month especially the last 2 weeks. How much time?

Anyway thought you'd like to know, she's still with us. The roller coaster of emotions has been absolutely exhausting. This is my first animal that I have been the soul care taker and after 15 years of friendship it doesn't get any easier. I hope it won't be this bad with the other 4.

And of course we still have no idea what is wrong with her. The vet is hoping to get a scope soon and then we might be able to get a biopsy on her bowels or pancreas or anything else that it will reach without causing too much damage.
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, tiggy, you will know when it is time. Gaining weight is such a good sign so I think your vet is right, give her some more time. It will take a while for recovery.

My ex-boss had to feed her cat for almost 3 months and that was years ago and the kitty is still alive today.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
She has put on weight, almost 6oz in a week. Her coat looks better, according to the vet, she has had bowel movements, small ones, but good ones, and has not vomited anything up. The good things
These are great signs!

Quote:
The bad are she is soo weak, she can barely walk.
That's par for the course. She's been through a lot and it's going to take a good chunk of time for her to come around.

Quote:
I would like to get one of those sweaters that I have seen other cats have that have feeding tubes in.
There is something called Surgi-Sox that might work, although what I used was a type of human surgical stocking with holes cut in for the cat's front legs. You could also look for some baby clothes that might fit her.

Quote:
Also does anyone know of a way to get her to walk more or get her legs strengthened, like rehab? I'm afraid if we don't get some strength back she'll be a long time coming back if at all.
Give her time. I wouldn't stress her too much right now by forcing her to move around. If she'll let you message her legs a bit or brush them to keep the circulation going, that might help. You could also get a heated pet bed insert like this one: http://www.kvsupply.com/browse/Home/...:10204/I/82973

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Newest update

Well she's still with us. Thursday was a hard day. She vomited all her food and it took her 40 minutes of straining to have a poop the size of a nickel. It was heart breaking to see. Especially since she had thrown up all her food the nite before.

I've put her back on the vet's recovery food and increased the pumpkin from 2 tsp's per 5oz can to 4 tsp's in hope that will solve the poop end. The recovery food seems to be the one she can tolerate, so I'll keep her on that until I can get her back onto the Wellness brand again

She still won't sleep with us, nor have we heard a purr from her. She now like's to hang out in my shower and I've put a glass of water next to her because she seems to want to drink more. Still only getting 4 oz's of food a day, tried more and that's when we got into trouble.

Do you think 4oz's is enough for now?

I haven't gotten to the store to check out baby clothes for a neck wrap, hope to do that this weekend. As for the pet warming blanket, I have heating pads that I put under blankets or pet beds, on low. The arthritic cat loves it)

My boy started to lick his belly again, I guess he's starting to feel my tension again <sigh>

So we take it day by day, she looks so terrible, but she does look at the window a little more, maybe that a sign?

I'm still trying to get some pictures loaded, just the ones I have are way too big, just have to figure out how to shrink them up.

Any idea's for getting the bowel's going? I'm using pumpkin and the suggestion of freezing it in tsp lumps was great idea) Thanks to whoever came up with that one. and of course SubQ fluids and the fluids I put into her tube.

Anyway thanks for listening and keep your paws crossed that she'll turn the better corner soon.
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had to put Tus to sleep last nite. It was obvious she was not getting better but weaker, as she continued to vomit and then we found blood in her stool. The final straw for me was finding her face down in her own vomit in the kitty litter box.

I put an email in to the vet and she was kind enough to answer the call and put her down for me last nite.

I will still try to get a picture or 2 but I'm having issuing transferring them from one computer to another.

I also just got a phone call from my brother to inform me that my father is dying and it's only a matter of days. So it maybe awhile before I get the pictures to you.

Thank you all for your support and advice with Tus it meant a lot to me.

I'm sure I'll be back with other cat issues, as my boy is starting to lick his belly raw again((

Love to all and Happy Holidays
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh tiggy2, I'm so sorry, about both Tus and your dad. What a painful time for you. Please take care of yourself, and I look forward to some pics when you're ready and able.

Old December 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry about Tus and your dad, tiggy

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:43 AM

tiggy2 I'm very sorry about Tus & your Dad :sad:

sweet Tus She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

I'm so sorry. What a hard time this is for you! My sympathy is with you.
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM

Thank you everyone.

I heard an interesting comment today about grieving. We have all kinds of outlets for the grief of people but none for the grieving of our pets. To me the lose of Tus is like the lose of my first born child and I'm grateful that at least here there are others who can understand and grieve with me.

As for my Dad, I am on my way home now to see him one last time, but with him it was a long expected illness and there will be lots of others to grieve for him.

I'll get the picture to you guys when I get back home. I finally transferred them to my new computer and was looking at them last nite, lots of good memories
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I just saw the news, tiggy2. Such a difficult time for you. You both fought so hard.

Tus

Have a safe trip. A gentle passing and Godspeed for your Dad

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."