Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

need HELP w/ orphans

Ok, I know it's a longshot, but I had to at least TRY.

Found a nest at bottom of tree this evening (early evening) while out grilling dinner. At closer look, noticed 2 baby birds. still alive.

They are now inside, safe, in a basket w/ a hot water bottle covered w/ a soft cotton t-shirt & tissue paper (easy cleanup for poop) and under a light.

I'm no mama-bird... so any advice anyone has on what to feed, how to feed, basically how to help them recoop would be appreciated. One of them is bad off... they fell quite a ways, and are struggling as it is. I have a dog & 2 cats (who are locked out of the bird room). I've tried a spec of wet dog food, and they took a nibble, but that was it.

fyi - it's sunday night, no stores are open in my town, no vet is open (and no vets around here treat wild baby birds)

any suggestions? any idea what type of bird they are? my yard normally consists of morning doves, robins, finches, cow birds
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

just another pic
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

well the good news is I finally got ahold of a wildlife rehab person on the phone, who suggested mashed up dry dog food w/ hot water for feeding. If they're alive and well in the morning to try putting them in a tupperware, up in the same tree, and see if mom comes for them. if they're doing poorly in the morning, she suggested I call a rehab center and transfer them if possible.

so, keep your fingers crossed these lil' guys (or gals) make it.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Queen

Be very careful about feeding and hydrating them, I've been reading it can actually do quite a bit of harm if you get it wrong. There is a bit of advice here about what to do when you find orphaned birds. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseu...a.php#nestling

http://www.wildbirdcarecentre.org/english/rescuer.html

http://www.wildarc.com/emergency/index.php

http://www.talkingtalons.com/found_bird.html
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Queen

O good!!

Last edited by Maya; July 23rd, 2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Maya, thank you! those links were most helpfull
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Senior Contributor

you have two doves there, I'd say apporximately 5/6 days old, you can feed them a runny instant cream of wheat about every 5 hours, don't refeed if you can still feed food in their craw, the temp should be about 80/85f for them, and a bit of moisture in the air, I just lost one on Saturday. good luck
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

they made it through the night!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda
you have two doves there, I'd say apporximately 5/6 days old, you can feed them a runny instant cream of wheat about every 5 hours, don't refeed if you can still feed food in their craw, the temp should be about 80/85f for them, and a bit of moisture in the air, I just lost one on Saturday. good luck
omg, thank you! I tried to re-integrate them according to the wildlife rehabber's instructions - put them in a margarine container w/ drainage holes in bottom, lined w/ paper towel, and tacked it up in the tree near where we found them. as high up as we could (literally my bf was out nailing our makeshift nest in the tree at 5:30am) - I waited 2 hrs, no mama bird came for them - I watched from a house window. so I had to take them back in - as my neighbors cats started to show up in numbers - ferals.

now, I'm at work, w/ a heated-basket-nest on my desk, with a towel over it - it's warm & humid in the basket. I'm feeding these lil' guys every 20 min when they peep for food, and cleaning up the birdie-poo... ick!
I will try the cream of wheat - THANKS!!!

I hope they make it - I'm trying to give them every chance I can. I know it's still a longshot though.

Melinda, I really appreciate your help, and am terribly sorry you lost a little dove. :sad:
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Queen

I'm so glad to hear they made it through the night. Can a wild life centre take them?? I don't recall feeding cream of wheat to the baby birds that came in when I was a volunteer with the wild animal rehab I do hope that is okay maybe we didn't have any doves either. I was looking around and found this tid bit "Mourning dove regurgitates the food with a secretion she makes in her beak that contains more fat and protein than even cow's milk" Anyway good luck I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

[edit] I really don't know to much but this looked like it could be useful.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/archiv...p/t-10780.html

Last edited by Maya; July 24th, 2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
I'm so glad to hear they made it through the night. Can a wild life centre take them?? I don't recall feeding cream of wheat to the baby birds that came in when I was a volunteer with the wild animal rehab I do hope that is okay maybe we didn't have any doves either. I was looking around and found this tid bit "Mourning dove regurgitates the food with a secretion she makes in her beak that contains more fat and protein than even cow's milk" Anyway good luck I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Well, it looks like I'm on my own. The wildlife rehab woman I spoke to last night doesn't take birds (although she helped as much as she could by phone). I've left messages at a few places, and I did speak to a wildlife professional who said to my 2 options are keep trying, or put them back on the ground. (w/ the cats out there, I may as well serve them up on a kitty-platter)

they INHALED the cream of wheat. they were hungry. and now, they EAT, poop, sleep. even the littlest one took food. phew! still a longshot, but I feel better to get food into them.

thanks!
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
Well, it looks like I'm on my own. The wildlife rehab woman I spoke to last night doesn't take birds (although she helped as much as she could by phone). I've left messages at a few places, and I did speak to a wildlife professional who said to my 2 options are keep trying, or put them back on the ground. (w/ the cats out there, I may as well serve them up on a kitty-platter)

they INHALED the cream of wheat. they were hungry. and now, they EAT, poop, sleep. even the littlest one took food. phew! still a longshot, but I feel better to get food into them.

thanks!
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Queen

There will be no kitty-platter! It sounds like you're trying really hard and being a good bird mummy. I hope you get all the information you need to help them. If a shelter can do it than it is possible.
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM
owned by Tucker

I thought they kind of looked like Jays, but it could be my eyesight. My daughter found a four baby birds the other week, we put them in a green strawberry container the kind that is like a basket, put a layer of papertowel and hung them back in the tree. Momma and Poppa took care of them and they are now flying free somewhere, they have left the nest. We watched them go from no feathers to finally getting onto the branches of the tree to flying free. I have done this many times and prefer not to bring them in as they are full of fleas and mites, they also carry samonilla so be careful and good luck .
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Queen

Little more info on different types of diets and care that looked good. http://www.csub.edu/fact/baby_bird_care.htm#PIGEON,
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

dove update:

they are all set! I got in touch w/ a wildlife clinic, who agreed to take them (even though they clearly state they do NOT take in orphan birds). The little one appeared to have a hurt leg, so they agreed to take the pair of them. The babies will get top-notch medical care, once cleared of any medical problems, they will be transported to a wildlife rehab facility here in the state, and if successfully rehabbed, will be released.

They gave me a case # so I can call and check on them periodically.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh <-- big sigh of relief they will be okay.

Thanks to all who posted with the helpful advice and links - it was all much appreciated.
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Queen

How wonderful!!! You can rest easy now
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Jessie that's great,thank's for doing what you did for them
I too did not really think they were Dove-babies,their beaks are too big and long..but whatever they are,they are safe now:love:
A couple of years ago,a Mourning-Dove baby fell out of it's nest,but we knew exactly where the nest was,so we put him back and he was fine.
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
owned by Tucker

I had a morning dove as a pet for a few years, it ended up with a broken wing from a fall and never flew. Glad to hear they are doing well.
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Queen

Hi Jessi, Please update on the baby's when your time permits.
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I called to check on them yesterday... they said they are both doing GREAT. they are happy in their new housing, eating 6x a day... and just being cute baby birds. The clinic said they got busy and didn't have a chance to xray the little one yet, but plan to by the end of the week. I can call again early next week for another update. (which I will)

thanks for asking!
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Queen

Thank you!! It's so nice to hear they are doing well!! Did they tell you what type of bird they will grow up to be??
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

they agreed they are mourning doves.
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh and I thought I knew birds I guess I was wrong,but that's ok as long as the babies are ok