Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM
He who talks with animals

help my puppy from China??

I am a Canadian living in China and I have serious doubts about my veterinarians accreditation . Anyway I have a 4 month old Labrador and he has a hard red lump on his nipple about the size of a grain of rice. My vet said its an infection and advised me to use this black tar gunk to put on it everyday, im not sure what the stuff is called in English as its all in Chinese. While she examined him she noticed that his belly was hot and his penis bone was harder than usual, and the tip of his penis where his hair is there was some yellow puss. She said he has a cold in his penis and prescribed him Norfloxacin 4 time a day breaking one 0.1g pill up and dividing it into 4 pills. Does this sound normal to you? All I want is the best for my puppy and I hate not having a Western Doctors opinion.

Cheers,
Nick
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM
chronically insane.

Hello. I'm very weird about talking about haha... 'body parts' but since I'm typing online I guess it doesn't really matter.

A red bump the size of a grain of rice really wouldn't concern me too much. I would (from your description) attribute it to a bug bite or a pimple before saying it's an infection. Technically I would say it would be INFECTED from the dog scratching at it or something, but calling the bump it's self an infection is weird. I would put a an anti-biotic cream on it but I have no idea what is available in your country. If you can research and see if you have plain Neosporin like the kind humans use you can use that on animals. I would highly advise you to check every single ingredient in it where you are before using it incase it's different then what I have in the USA.

As for the yellow goop on the fur, I can tell you this is VERY common in dogs, mostly those who are not neutered I work in a spay/neuter clinic and hate to say I've seen plenty of dog and cats private parts and what you are describing is very very very common for male dogs of sexual maturity... and even some puppies!

I would not put it as a 'cold' because it's most certainly not in any way shape or form. Maybe an infection but that's a totally different thing then a 'cold'.

I have no experience with Norfloxacin so I google searched it and it appears to be a fairly dangerous drug and just from what I read, if it were my dog I would immediately stop using it.

Quote:
Norfloxacin is a synthetic chemotherapeutic agent occasionally used to treat common as well as complicated urinary tract infections. It is sold under various brand names with the most common being Noroxin.
I really can't find much information on it in veterinary use. It barely looks legal in the US. It is used to treat SEVERE infections in humans. I mean, this is just from searching around online so you really want to do your own research too.

He could very well have an infection, but there are so many safer drugs then whatever that is that you were given. Clavamox seems widely available and would be great if you could find that.

Good luck... I'd really get a second opinion. I have no idea what kind of degrees they have to have in China but I'd ask about that.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM

try finding a SPCA i know there are several in China. This is the areas in Hong Kong but they may have contact for you in other regions, or have a mobile clinic. They use western vets http://www.spca.org.hk/eng/vet/vetclinic.html

I watched a season of Vets in Hong Kong. haha

Last edited by cell; October 16th, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM
He who talks with animals

decision

Thank you both your help, I have decided not to use Norfloxacin it just seems like a nasty drug with horrible side effects and life threatning issues. I really wish I could find Clavamox here in China but it looks like a losing battle. As for the SPCA I can only find it in Hong Kong and not on the tiny island of Hainan where I live. So I did some research and what I can find is Amoxicillin used to fight bacterial infection 5 mg per lb. ev ery 12 hours. So I think I will use that instead. Please post back if you have any other suggestions as I would greatly appreciate them.

Cheers,
Nick
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Mickey, my angel

Hi, Nick, and welcome to pets.ca.

Amoxicillin sounds like a safe choice and is actually one of the ingredients in Clavamox.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5233429_am...sage-dogs.html

I can understand your having some concerns about vet care for your dog in a foreign country. I'm sure I would have some of the same reservations. Hopefully, in time, you will find someone you are confident in.

You may or may not know that, in addition to having some very knowledgeable members, we also have some wonderful vets on-line at pets.ca who are happy to answer questions, if requested.

If you had a chance to look around, you may also have noticed that people on this board are about pictures, so if you want to post some pics of your dog, we would love to see them.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Tags
norfloxacin, red bump, sick