Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
cat slave

strict pee break schedule??

ok here's a question....when the dog has to stay home for 5-6 hours, once or twice a week...and he gets half an hour to an hour walks before and after, how important is it that the owner has to maintain that schedule all week??

for example...there's an 8:30 am class and the dog has to stay home til 12, I'm prepared to walk him before I leave at around 7 am. Do i have to then wake up every day at 7 am to help with the training?? or can teh dog get a strict walking scedule on busy days and the rest 3-5 days get random walks?
Old March 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Rottie owner and lover

how old is the dog. Right now Harley has no major walking schedule, he does not care. He also does not wake me up. Yet some dogs are very strong into routine, I guess it depends on your dog. I do not think it really matters
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Yeah, age is a huge factor. Puppies need routine to keep the house training going, but adults can be more flexible. My doggies go out after a maximum of 10 hours. If I have an early class and have to leave at 7:30, they go out before. But if I have a later class or on weekends, they'll sleep in with me, but I'll bring them out later the night before. They really don't care as long as they don't have to wait too long.

Oh- you might not get a dump on the irregular walks though. Like if your dog dumps at 10AM usually, and you walk her at 8AM, chances are she's not ready for a dump.
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:58 PM
cat slave

well i don't have the dog yet. But i don't plan on getting one younger than 8 months.

Rottie...I presume that if they're fully housebroken they don't need a routine?

so then if i decide to go out for a walk with the dog outside the schedule it won't ruin his/her bowel movements. hehe

ok...so how does one know when the dog has to poo?? how many times do they need to a day?...I assume at least once a day?...My cats go twice...12 hours apart. I presume a dog would do the same?

So then 6 hours apart isn't too long? I'm just hoping the short walk before and after th 6 hours would be good enough to avoid peeing in the house or get bored for that time. Worst case scenario....I can teach it to use the litter box
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM

What do you mean "teach it to use the litter box"?!? You're getting a HUGE dog, not some small froo froo dog, right?

With older dogs, housetrained dogs, they can do just fine without any routine. My doggies don't crap on a schedule, but if I wake them up too early, sometimes they won't even go outside. I tell you, you get the dogs that are right for you, no matter which ones you get.

But after a while, you should be able to predict how long after eating the doggy is done "processing".
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:50 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
What do you mean "teach it to use the litter box"?!? You're getting a HUGE dog, not some small froo froo dog, right?
Or Prin, you're just going to have to wait won't you?? heheee
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM

LOL If you get a froo froo, I'm gonna be so disappointed. I picture you with a dog more like Puppyluv's Layla.
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Hey what's wrong with a small froo froo dog! my little dog is as good as the big guys but tracks less mud into the house after we've been out walking, he was cheaper to have neutered!

Charley stuck to his morning pee schedule (6 am) until he was about 10 months old. On the week-ends, he'd need to go out, but would happily go back to bed once he was done.

He usualy poops around meal time (mostly after but sometimes before if we wake up late) and he eats twice a day. breakfast is when ever I wake up, 6 am on week-days, 9-10 am on week-ends, dinner is around 18:00. I have a fenced yard so walking and going for a poop aren't the same 'activity' I guess you'd call it, if he needs to go he just asks for the door (or paces if I miss seeing him waiting at the door).

Last edited by PetFriendly; March 8th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly
Hey what's wrong with a small froo froo dog! my little dog is as good as the big guys but tracks less mud into the house after we've been out walking, he was cheaper to have neutered!
I'm sorry, I don't want to start a debate, but you can't hug a small dog like you can hug a big one. With the big ones, you can squeeze with a lot of your might and not have any consequences. You can also get doggy arms wrapping around you for the full effect. With little dogs, you just don't have that luxury.
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
cat slave

ok ok break it up

I totally understand what you mean Prin. that';s why i'd be afraid to own a small fragile dog. I'd be afraid going bike riding in case i hurt it:sad: i'd be so sad.

But you know...different dogs for different kinds of people.

ok here's a question for you guys.....how young should the dog be with a random pee routine. I was thinking what prin said that her dogs go randomly out but they;re older. I thought "uh oh what if i find an 8 month old dog??" Is that too young for a random schedule??
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Jemma was 1.5 when we got her and she was fine without a routine then. Boo was younger, but still over a year. It'll take a bit for the doggy to get used to the routine though. Instead of having a time to go out, for my dogs, it's signs- like putting on my toque, or my glasses means they're going out soon, so they get ready and get the juices warmed up and by the time we go, they're quick about it. They also have verbal cues, and I never say anything remotely close to those without following through- you don't want the juices flowing when they have nowhere to put them...
Old March 9th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I'm sorry, I don't want to start a debate, but you can't hug a small dog like you can hug a big one. With the big ones, you can squeeze with a lot of your might and not have any consequences. You can also get doggy arms wrapping around you for the full effect. With little dogs, you just don't have that luxury.
I'm not talking 4 lbs small... If you could kill it by kicking it, that's too small... Charley is 12 lbs and I would not describe him as fragile. And while you don't get a full dog arm hug, you do get a nice self heating heat pad for your chest!

But yes, to each their own but you should try it before you decide you don't like it (I'm actually a big dog person until Charley came along to show me how great little guys can be too).

End of debate.
Old March 9th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Charley is the one who decided he didn't need the routine... I think it had to do with the snow flying. We'd go out every 2 hours or so when I was home and when the snow fell he stopped running up the stairs ahead of me when I asked about going outside, which I took to mean he didn't want to go out.
Because of his SA I've been randomly putting on outside clothing, picking up keys and walking out the door so that doesn't really mean anything to him other than I'm leaving.
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
But yes, to each their own but you should try it before you decide you don't like it (I'm actually a big dog person until Charley came along to show me how great little guys can be too).

End of debate.
LOL I'm not bashing or judging or anything. Some people are little dog people and others are big dog people and still others are both (we won't get into the "neithers" ). As long as people love the one they're with, it's all good.

big dogs are better
hee hee
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM
cat slave

Quote:
And while you don't get a full dog arm hug, you do get a nice self heating heat pad for your chest!

lol that's cute and funny.