Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 15th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Bandit's Future?

I was watching TV yesterday and just caught the tail end of something.
They were talking about a Pitbull/lab X named Bandit that was adopted from the Toronto humane society and has bitten someone, the people working at the Toronto branch have apparently been complaining about visious dogs being put up for adoption some of the workers have been bitten on several occasions but the someone higher up on the totem pole changes the info on these dogs info charts then when someone comes in to adopt the dog they think it has a good history or no history.
One such dog was Bandit apparently he was adopted there, and from what I got the dogs history was just that not a good record but wiped out so the new owner never knew there was a previous problem with aggression.
Well now I think Bandit is back at the shelter with his future unknown???

Anyone else know more about this ?
I think it is terrible, they also mentioned that the records were being changed so that their euthynization record would be lowered
This was such bad news to hear.

It seems strange after my Bandits passing there seem to be Bandits everywhere I turn God bless my little guy R.I.P. Bandit

I sure hope this Bandit gets a better chance this time around he sure was a good looking dog
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette,I actually wrote about Bandit a while back and we discussed it.
I don't know how to find the thread,I am just surprised HS gives Bandit so much attention,when Pitts are put down every day.
Bandit apparently is a friendly well behaved dog,I guess there were circumstances involving this child harassing the dog,that made HS decide to give the dog another chance.
I'll see if I can find the thread.
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette,I found it,but don't know how to get it onto here.
It's under"Bandit...live or die" feb 21st on page 23 in General Forum.
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I remember this case! It's sad .. I wonder whats going to happen to Bandit now?
Old June 15th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba,as far as I know HS have kept the dog all this time,they all love him.The city and the grandmother(owner)wants Bandit put down,but HS is fighting for him.I think the courthearing is coming up soon,hence the new attention to Bandit.
Old June 15th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So many of these situations can be avoided
People can be very irresponsible
Old June 15th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Bandit has a 3 month reprieve by the judge, decision to be made about his fate then.
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry about the repeat

These posts took place just before I joined this forum but,I just went back in time and read your posts about Bandit......I also read the artical about him in the Star.

I'm a little nervous to say that I disagree with most of you on this case.
My initial reaction as you can see in the begining was on the side of Bandit.

Well I still am in a sence, it would be ideal to allow any animal to live, but with Bandits history of aggression within himself and the aggression in his father, I would say that he does not have a very good disposition, I believe that bandit would attack again it would only be a matter of time and opportunity. If an experienced person with aggressive animals adopted Bandit then what? Just wait for the attack Seems to me the basic instinct of attack is deep within this dog and I doubt any amount of training could erase an instinct can it?

I'll bet dollers to donuts if you look at the past euthenized dogs from that shelter there were probably many that were kind and loving pets to be ,that were much more worth our time effort and dollars to keep alive for adoption.

Good luck to Bandit but I hope if he is put up for adoption that no-one gets seriously injured because I definitly see a pretty good possibility of it.

Just my 2 cents
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette,I tend to agree with you,in a perfect world we would all live happily together..and nobody would be killed before his time.
In the original writings,it was not mentioned that Bandit had been aggressive before,only how sweet he was at HS.
Now all these witnesses are coming forward saying it was not soo.
It just surprises me that HS would put up such a fight for his life,if they know he is going to be aggressive. They put down other Pitts just for being Pitts,it baffles me
I believe in the end Bandit will lose his life,unless HS decides to keep him there for the rest of his life
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

IMHO these witnesses are coming forth now because they don't want to be part of any situation 'should' Bandit bite again.

This dog would probably do fine in an ADULT home and walked muzzled outside.

HE is the result of some BYB's it seems like, and they say his father was aggressive well with BYB pitty's thats not unusual and I'm sure LuckyR would agree with me on that one.

Great IDEA breeding an aggressive dog huh! Smart people aren't they.
I didn't hear them say anything about Bandits parentage being aggressive towards PEOPLE! They neglected to mention that, I only heard aggressive. AND that CAN be towards dogs, we dont know what they used this dog for why they were breeding them to begin with.

Funny how these morons are 'so concerned' now about this dog biting again...why didn't they come forth earlier??? hmmmm
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote from the artical indicated.............
Quote:
The dog also has a family history of aggression, she said. When Bandit, now 3, was given to Young as a gift, she said she didn't know the dog's father had attacked two people and was euthanized. She said Bandit had also bitten another grandson, then 6, prior to the attack on Daniel-James, but the older boy did not require stitches.
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Like Anita stated,I too don't get it.

They put dogs down mauling...What is so special about this one?Especially since he has attacked before....

Here is a link to the article.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...d=970599119419
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I regress I didn't know his parentage attacked a person

Rethinking my position on this one, not decided yet.
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

In this case I really don't understand,it's also costing HS a heap of money.
I don't know much about aggressive dogs,but just because his parents were aggressive does it always make the puppies aggressive?
They said he bit another grandson,obviously this dog should never have been left with small kids,like most dogs...I feel for the little boy,but the grandma was irresponsable,since she already knew he could bite.
We'll see what happens,HS must have a very good reason to fight for Bandits life.
Old June 16th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

it really sucks that a person can do that to a dog and get away with it, and the dog dies, no one gives this stupid owner a bashing or jail term, ahhh. and it totally *****s me that we keep some of the most dangerous and vicious people in our jails and let them out one day, but they are still vicious and have deformed brains but we dont put them down, but a dog who bites is, i dont understand humans at all, so contradictory in behaviour and beliefs. i want to go and live on the island of dogs, just me and heaps of cuddly dogs, and we would never see a human again, just me and the dogs (may need to take hubby though, would mis him and he would starve without us ).
Old June 16th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Need some cats too. We're talking about an ideal world so they'd all get along!
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to go off topic here,but Luba,did you hear about the dog/dog attack the other day?

An English Bulldog was attacked by a Rottie.It was in a park.The owner of the Rottie had the dog tied up.The woman with the English Bulldog was walking in the park(leashed).The Rottie say the Bulldog,broke through his leash and grabbed the dog.Poor dog was covered in blood.Has a gash through the neck.The owner of the Rottie was so upset.This is the second Rottie I have seen with a natural tail.

They said since this was a dog/dog attack,the owner will not be charged.But a judge will have him under the muzzle law.And this dog has never attacked a dog before.

There where quite a few people and kids in the park.Alot of people where saying what if the dog went after a child or someone.

There is actually an English Bulldog in my area that has a natural tail.

Sorry for cutting into this post....
Old June 16th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Anita,I would really love to know why they are doing all this to save him...I don't think I have ever heard of a HS fighting to keep a dog alive after a mauling...This really has me ...

Yes,alot of the times if the parents are aggressive,it can be passed on to the pups.Sometimes,not always...

And this is why a licenced responsible breeder will never breed an aggressive dog.But then again of all the breeders I know,they have never had an aggressive dog.
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
and it totally *****s me that we keep some of the most dangerous and vicious people in our jails and let them out one day, but they are still vicious and have deformed brains but we dont put them down, but a dog who bites is, i dont understand humans at all, so contradictory in behaviour and beliefs. i want to go and live on the island of dogs, just me and heaps of cuddly dogs, and we would never see a human again, just me and the dogs (may need to take hubby though, would mis him and he would starve without us
I aggree I think we should have euthenized bernardo and holmoka.

An Island of cats and dogs......Yippee....I want to go too

But I too Would have to bring Hubby along not because he would starve but I would.......lmao gives me an idea for a new thread