Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old September 6th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'm enjoying cooking for the dogs

I must say, it's no hardship to do it and the dogs love it. I made up a big pot of braised beef today and the dogs wiped their dinner out in minutes. I have enough of this to do 2 weeks feeding every other day. I've got chicken thighs that I'm cooking up tomorrow to feed on alternate days. Mixed in with their kibble and the broth from the cooking, they just love it.

Cindy
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
they just love it.

Cindy
I bet they do !!! yum yum !
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Do you just do the meat on it's own or do you add veggies and stuff? I am beginning to think this would be a better way for me to feed my cats. I know they sure would love it. May even be cheaper. I mean, 5 or 6 cats would probably eat what one of your puppers would.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

The last time I made stew and added potatos and carrots. This time it was just the beef chunks. I mix it in with their kibble, so I'm not so worried about whether or not is has all the nutrients. Since dogs are carnivores, the veggies aren't necessary. I wouldn't think cats would need them either. I don't know if my cats would like this stuff or not, they didn't get a chance to get near the dogs bowls. Gabby would like it, she loves the same stuff the dogs do. I think Princess Squeakie and Mookie the brick might have issues with it unless I ground it up fine.

Cindy
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I would think it would be cheaper, it's definately cheaper to feed the dogs this way. I think I will grind some up for the cats and see how it works.....4 cases of cat food a week.....I could stand to save some more money.

Cindy
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I feel your pain. Believe me!
I may get some meat and grind it up myself and see how it goes over with my bunch.
Thanks for the idea! I bet once they eat this they won't ever want cat food again!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I bet once they eat this they won't ever want cat food again!!
Yes they will both Monsieur le chat and Paddington get kibble + canned food in the morning and raw at night. They always get excited , whatever their meal is
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:10 PM

We were adding cooked chicken thighs to Jermy's kibble for a while but his poops got very soft to the point where we had to stop. Coocked salmon he is good with but the chicken with kibble combo didnt work for us.

How are your dogs managing with the variations in food?

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Yes they will both Monsieur le chat and Paddington get kibble + canned food in the morning and raw at night. They always get excited , whatever their meal is
Aww, darn! Oh well, even if I can change one meal to meat it may be worth it.

Old September 7th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Swift Tribe

dont forget CALCIUM guys!!! also dont forget that when you cook food, you cook out some of the nutrition (for cats, especially taurine!!!!) so make sure you are not cooking (with out research and compensation) for more than (i think its) 30% of their diet. the added protein (especially for the cats) is great.

you can safely add a bunch of great stuff that your dogs would really like. it might not look good to you but im sure they will appreciate the different taste and nutrition.

some things that add taurine are oysters (it doesnt take much really) or other muscle based sea creatures like clams and stuff. you can add a little spinach, egg, sprinkle a little cheese on top, a little broccoli.... really just about anything you think your dogs will like.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks W4R. Was wondering what to do to add taurine. That helps.

Old September 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
We were adding cooked chicken thighs to Jermy's kibble for a while but his poops got very soft to the point where we had to stop. Coocked salmon he is good with but the chicken with kibble combo didnt work for us.

How are your dogs managing with the variations in food?
I've been giving the dogs different foods ever since I got them. They get different kibble all the time, Natures Variety Instinct, all flavours, Orijen regular and fish, I have some Fromm adult gold that will get thrown in the mix this week too. Canned foods, they've had almost every grain free canned there is, so the home cooked is just another new type of food.
They've had no digestive issues, except when they eat too many berries outside. I think giving them loads of variety from the beginning, they're not bad with new and different foods.
I got that idea from Want4Rain actually. She had asked a question in this forum once about why people stick to one type of food for dogs all the time, why not venture out and give them variety. It made sense to me, I tried it and it's been working like a charm for my guys.

Cindy
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Variety is awesome, but it is ideal to feed different types of foods separately, instead of mixing them together. For example:

1) Don't mix raw food in with kibble
2) Don't mix large amounts of home-prepared food in with kibble
3) Don't mix canned food with raw food

Different types of diets are digested very differently within the body. If dogs are provided solely with home-prepared diets, then it is essential that they are correctly formulated/calculated using a recipe created specifically for them by a nutritionist, otherwise, they may be getting too much of one thing & not enough of another.

In addition, home-prepared diets usually do not contain pro/prebiotics, appropriate levels of essential fatty acids (Omegas), appropriate levels of vitamins/minerals (including calcium & phosphorus), etc. Simply throwing in a little of this & a little of that is very unwise. So, it is vital that they're provided with an Omega supplement, multi vitamin/mineral supplement, & a pro/prebiotic supplements.

The vast majority of home-prepared diets are done incorrectly. The people are well-intentioned, but they are jeopardizing their pets health. :sad:
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

The chicken thighs were a big hit. Cooked them this morning and picked the meat off the bones. The dogs loved it. Even Gabby the tabby managed to sneak a piece of chicken and run off with it. So I haven enough braised beef and chicken thighs to alternate all week. Cooked a turkey for us tonight, so I have dinner made for all of us for a few days.
The cats aren't willing to leave their canned food yet, although they like a little of the beef and chicken as a treat.

Cindy