Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 16th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Dog - frequent urination

Hi, I have a 1.5 year old, neutered; male shih-tzu that I got 5 months ago from a backyard breeder (didn’t know it at the time). He has lots of behavior problems and nobody (including my family) can touch him except me.
The problem is that he wasn’t house trained as far as I could see. I started house training him by walking him out very 2,3 hours. After a while it got better and he could go for 4-5 hours without going out and only here and there some accidents. I never crated him.

At night he can usually go for 8 hours without accidents, but the moment he wakes up he MUST go within 2 minutes or he’ll pee in the house (he trained me really well – now I’m able to get up, get dressed, and out on the street within 2 minutes, lol)

In the last 3 weeks, he has at least one accident each and every day. I am back at taking him out every 3 hours (max) and still he pees / poops in the house. Now when I leave the house for more than an hour, I started locking him in a room with access to a bathroom where he has some papers on the floor. Sometimes I find that he peed there. Other times, if I only step out for a few minutes without locking him (but still only a short time after he was out) he usually pees in the house. It’s almost always in the same place.

He had his urine tested and everything is fine.

Is there any medication that can control his bladder?
It’s very frustrating and tiring to walk him out so many times a day and still to have to deal with accidents. I think that if at night he can hold 8 hours, he should be able to hold at least 5-6 during the day…

Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysherry View Post
Is there any medication that can control his bladder?
It’s very frustrating and tiring to walk him out so many times a day and still to have to deal with accidents. I think that if at night he can hold 8 hours, he should be able to hold at least 5-6 during the day…

Thanks!
He's holding it at night because he's sleeping. The trick I learned with non-housetrained dogs is to tire them out (walking, running, playing, etc) so that they are sleeping if I have to leave the house for a short amount of time.

I would say your dog doesn't know yet that he's not supposed to eliminate in the house. Does he always go in the same place? What do you use to clean up with? What do you do if you catch him in the act or afterwords? Does he always go only when you're not home or when you're home as well?
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM

The dog doesn't like to go for long walks. He has hips dysplasia, and maybe that's why he is not interested in long walks, so he doesn't have a chance to get too tired.

Only once he urinated in my presence. Most of the times it's when I'm out of the house. I tried putting him near the accident and saying a firm 'NO!' and I tried ignoring it completely.
I think he knows he's done something bad, since he tucks his tail between his legs and avoids me. That's how I know many times that he did something.

I clean with Prosolve (and the stains don't really disappear).

I think it may be a bladder problem, that's why I was wondering if there is any medication that helps.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Doggie Wench

Only your vet will be able to confirm if he has bladder issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysherry View Post
I think he knows he's done something bad, since he tucks his tail between his legs and avoids me.
Naw, he's just reacting to your posture/mood. He's using calming signals to appease you. No point in punishing him...just interrupt if you see him...take him right outdoors, and praise when does his business.

Try washing well with soap and water and use a product such as Nature's Miracle (found in most pet supply stores). He'll be less likely to eliminate in the same spot if he doesn't smell where he's gone before.

Here's a good article you may find useful: http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/Housetraining_3.pdf

As for the hip dysplasia, has your vet discussed Cartrophen injections with you? We've had some success with it. http://www.arthritis.au.com/DMOAD.2006.FINAL.pdf
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the tips and the links!

For the dysplasia we get him Glucosamine.