Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Schutzhund

Does anyone participate in Schutzhund? Do you like it? We've trained our past Shepherds that we have had but when we get our pup in the fall we are going to look into joining a Shutzhund club.
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Agility addict

Ask to watch some training first, before you join. Some schutzhund trainers use a lot of aversives. The sport is known for attracting some 'aggressive' trainers. (the kind who love e collars and such)

So make sure you are comfortable (and how you want to train your dog is up to you) with the methods used.

My dogs are way too small, otherwise I would give it a try
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Our breeder is Stalworth Kennels near Cornwall. Lovely woman, husband & 5yr old daughter. They do Shutzhund training and also there is a club in Maxville. We live in Ottawa but plan on going out to some of the training sessions before we bring our pup home. In the meantime, I'm practicing my German LOL!
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

My GSD is SchH III Titled.He is a retired Police Dog.Worked with my brother.

SchH is a great sport which involves 3 levels.Obedience,Protection and Tracking.But all this is very hard work with training.Your dog must pass SchH I (18 months)to go on to SchH II(19 months),then pass that to go to SchH III(20 months).

To start,your dog must pass BH(Obedience) first.This is not part of the SchH training,this comes before the SchH training.And most of the trainers won't start till the dog is 18 months.This is more or less when the bones have somewhat stopped growing and are stronger.

I had raised Tron from 3 months to 18 months.This is when my brother took over.I socialized Tron like crazy.And yes,I had to teach him his commands in German.My mother helped me out with the words.She lived in Germany for 10 years so her German is great.

You will deffinately need to read up on how to raise a "pup" for SchH.This is when it all starts...
Old May 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM

I do schutzhund with my dog Bobbie. He is a (high) GSD mix I rescued at 1 yrs old and started training just over a year ago. In Sept we achieved a BH and we are working towards his OB and tracking titles.
I enjoy the sport, I'm addicted and will be getting a puppy in the fall to do schutzhund with.
If you decide you want to pursue the sport, you should join a club and get a head start, there is a lot of information to learn as a newbie!!! There is a few members in my club that don't even have a dog yet. The club members can also help you out in finding the right dog/breeder or you might like one of the members dogs and can use their breeder.
I have found most people new to the sport get a dog THEN join a club only to find out their dog is just not cut out for schutzhund. It is a very hard sport, your dog has to do well in tracking, obedience AND protection. Genetics is half the battle so you don't want to show up with a show dog or a mutt from the pound lol like me. Don't get me wrong Bobbie is a great dog to learn on and he does pretty awesome considering he's "just a mutt" from the pound but I am warning you, the sport is highly addictive (in my opinion) and you are going to wish you had the right dog from the start or your house is going to quickly fill up with GSDs.
So I just suggest, learn more about the sport, join a club, see if you have what it takes too (because it's a huge commitment/lifestyle change) before you get a dog...if it's going to be for schutzhund.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post

Your dog must pass SchH I (18 months)to go on to SchH II(19 months),then pass that to go to SchH III(20 months).
At 15 months you can go for your BH. Once you get your BH you can go for your sch1, it can be on the same weekend/trial but not on the same day. (Age is not a factor for the sch1-3) After that you can go for your sch2 as long as you get (I think it's) at least a score of 80 in protection, if your score in protection is less than 80 but still a pass, you can only trial for your sch1 again until you have achieved that score. The same goes from sch2-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
To start,your dog must pass BH(Obedience) first.This is not part of the SchH training,this comes before the SchH training.
BH is very much a part of schutzhund training. It is the obedience portion. The BH is the same routine except for a few things.. the dumbbells, gun shot, send out. The pattern is walked twice, once on leash and once off. The BH also has a temperment test.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Then your trainer is different.

Many of the SchH ones that I know of will not accept a dog till it has passed the BH "before" joining.Then yes,it is tested and then part of the Obedience.Not sure that made sense.LOL

Again,the ones I know of go by the ages for the SchH I II III..These are also the trainers from Europe.And this is why my brother took Tron at this age,cause this is when they started the SchH.Every trainer is different and has different rules....
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM

I don't have a "trainer" I train with a club as a group and we go by the GSSCC rules but I understand what you mean mona_b. I know some clubs don't start bite work until the handler and dog have achieved a BH I guess some clubs want people to have it first so they know they are committed and since you can't do anything without the B.... and the ages you outlined are an example of how long it takes to get titles but that would be in an ideal situation. Most dogs don't make it to their sch3 until they are 4-6yrs old, so you can see the type of commitment the sport is. I know you know that mona_b but just wanted to state that for people new to the sport. Schutzhund is not an 8 week course it is a life time lol.
Cheers

Last edited by muckypup; May 12th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I haven't done schutzhund with my girls, but one of our rescues, Brody from GSRT, is now doing it! And good for you mucky to be doing this with your rescued dog!
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the info. Our pup will have pretty good genes - the dad is a CGN, IP03, SchH3 & the mum is a competitve SAR dog completing her Schutzhund training. Both are from Czech lineage. Our last dog Pepper was a wonderful family pet. Our Klebah we had before her was a family pet but did more serious obedience training. This pup we want to have a "job" and we want to get more involved with the Shepherd world as well. Looking forward to it!
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM

schutzhund training

Hi.. Im from Ottawa, was wondering if you located any schutzhund training at all nearby. I have 2yr german Shepherd and am very interested in finding a place for training him. Any information will be helpful.. !! thanks