Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 29th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Rabbit with a band around its neck

Hi .... Was not quite sure where to put this. A man on a seniors board I belong to posted this:

"Since spring a rabbit has been hanging around our yard mainly eating clover. Evidently it was someones tame rabbit as it has a band around its neck. As it gets bigger the band is getting tighter. I'm afraid it will eventually choke it. I want to catch it and remove the band. It has plenty of food and isn't attracted to food in a trap. I can't get close enough to throw a net over it. Any ideas? It is a really nice rabbit and I don't want it to run into trouble with the band. Thanks."

Does anyone have an idea how he could entice this rabbit into a trap, or who he could even contact for advice?

Take care,
Pat
Old June 29th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any advise for you sadly. I am a volunteer with the Humane Society here and I posted your message on our board. Hopefully someone will have some ideas for you. Thank you for caring about this bunny!
Old June 29th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow how sad is that! You could attract it with a bunny of the opposite sex.... Well it would likely work to tell the truth, but not practical. I wish I had some ideas, my old rabbits really liked walnuts (no idea if they are good for them), so maybe finding out what a favourite treat would be may help. Thank you for caring.
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

so, I have some info here for you. This is from a "bunny person" sounds like it may work.

I would recommend using fresh fruits ....banana is a hit with rabbits as it is a HIGH value treat high in sugar....set up a trail of mixed fruit or just banana leading into a cage. Otherwise if you can get a group of people I would recommend attempting to push the rabbit into a small area by slowly moving the circle of people inward or attempting to throw a towel over him while using netting or construction fencing type thing to create a make shift cage around him
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have an ACO you could call , they may have a live animal trap you could borrow. I know some people use a wooden box and use a stick to hold it , nail is hammered into the box and a rope tied around the nail then you put some food under the box and hope the rabbit will go under the box then you pull the box down.
Old June 30th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Willing cat servant

I wish I could know what happens later on. Poor bunny, I hope they can catch him/her to remove the band.
Old June 30th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will pass the info along, and will endeavour to keep in touch, and let you know if this chap is successful in catching the bunny.

Take care,
Pat