Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 21st, 2006, 10:43 PM

Dog Nail Clipping

I have a year old black lab and we've always clipped her nails ourselves. She's been pretty good - my husband cuts her nail while I distract her with food. A few weeks ago, we accidently cut into the "quick" and she started bleeding. I think it was the way my husband and I reacted that scared her. We overracted.. we know that now.

Anyhow, we're trying to cut her nails again but it's really challenging. We've tried the distraction but it's not working anymore. Since the incident, we've both made it a point to touch/rub her arm/nails and even bring the clippers close to her feet just to get her used to the idea again.

Our last resort is to bring her to the groomers - it's not that we don't want to pay for it.. it's the thought that we really want to get back to our routine. Anyone have any suggestions? We're not interested in using the dremmel.. we just want to use the clippers.

Thanks!
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:54 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Sorry no advice I am scared to cut Joeys nails as they are black. I just get the groomer to do it.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I cut to the quick once while cutting YY's nails - and quickly applied something to stop the bleeding tho there was not that much but I felt so bad that I'd hurt my baby!! And I was alone - no-one to distract her! But she was just a kitten.

The best thing I can recommend is to get right into the routine asap so she knows this was no big deal.
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:18 PM

Just do a couple at a time till he gets used to it again. Tons of praise, cookies, etc while you do it.. Cutting the quick is "deadly". Doggies can be so dramatic. Better the nails be a bit long than painfully short...
Old February 22nd, 2006, 07:34 AM

As many here know, my GSD is so afraid of having her nails done since a bad experience way back, we have to give her Gravol to calm her first, and the vet comes to the house to do them.

Our Mal however is different, although afraid, I can do them by placing a towel over her face, it seems to calm her. Maybe not seeing the clippers helps, don't know. But I agree with Prin, make sure you're calm as your dog will sense your anxiety, try the towel over his eyes, and will speaking calmly but not playing into his fear, do only a couple of nails at a time to get him used to the sound again. Good luck!

Edited to add: start with sitting on the floor with the clippers, letting him smell them and get used to the sight and sound again first, once he's comfortable with seeing and hearing them without fear, then start with only a couple of nails at a time!

Last edited by shannon1233A; February 22nd, 2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:44 PM

just adding to Prins reply, do it after a good round or running and play when the dog is tired and sleepy. Both of you should be calm and relaxed
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I continued to get Chloe familiar with the nail clippers for the past week. Last night, my husband and I "tag teamed" her and attempted to cut her nails. Again, the treats didn't help..

Finally we cornered her between our ottomans and i put her bowl with some kibbles in it infront of her face. While she was eating out of the bowl, my husband cut her nails. This method worked.. it was A LOT easier once we cut one nail and she realized that it didn't hurt.

So.. I'm happy to report.. we're back in business! We finished cutting her two front paws, next, her back ones!