Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 4th, 2004, 03:33 PM

Please tell me this is a hoax! - confirmed: HOAX

I got this in an email today:

Take this for what it is worth. I use this product and plan to stop using it immediately. I'll stick to steam from now on.

>From a Pennsylvania rescue list::
I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and if he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe. My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that anitfreeze is one of the ingredients. (actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from anitfreeze). Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking it's own paws, and the dog eating from its dishes which were kept on the kitchen floor cleaned with this product, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals.

I don't know whether to believe this or not. I bought a wetjet a couple of months ago and I use it all the time. I don't usually believe emails like this, but I'm not so sure about this one. Opinions?
Old May 4th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

That disgusts me and I'm not sure if it is a hoax or not.

Personally I don't use any chemical agents or top name brands to clean with of any sort and I"m glad of it.

Thats just so sad!
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:10 PM

I sure as hell would like to find out if it's a hoax or not. A good friend of mine who has three dogs, whom I love very much, got a swiffer when they first came out. I have to admit the thing is good for hair on the floor, which is certainly a problem in her house because she's got hardwood floors. I've constantly teased her about the thing because you throw the little sheet away once you've used it. Terribly eco-unfriendly. I think a while ago, her hubby upgraded to the one that spits out stuff in front of it. I think that's the one you are talking about.
Anyhoo, I would like to pursue this further because of this. Any idea as to which rescue group the email came from? One thing we would need to determine is the active ingredient in anti-freeze that is harmful. That shouldn't be too hard to find out. The more trying part would be to find out what crap the company sells you for the wetjet or whatever it's called. Even if it's only one molecule off, the chemical names should be relatively similar.

Anyone ever taste antifreeze? When I was a kid, my dad made me taste it once. We were working on the car, rather he was working on the car and I was watching; he told me that the stuff tastes sweet. I didn't believe him, so he opens the rad cap and tells me to stick my finger in. Being the trustworthy sort, I did so. He tells me to touch the tip of my finger to my tongue. Lo and behold, the stuff did taste sweet! Couldn't believe it. Looking back, I question my dad's judgement in some of the things he made us do.
You can get dog friendly anti-freeze now though which isn't harmful to cats or dogs.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually saw something like that on another site....

I have to believe it's not a hoax.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunatly, I would think it is. There is an ingredient in some foods, soaps, and other things we use around the house which is the first ingredient of antifreeze. This ingredient is called Propylen Glycol, and the thing that I hate about it is that they put it in soap and other things like food, and it really isn't good for us!

Well, after I knew about it, I stuck to natural alternatives.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM

One would think that it would evaporate enough after mopping, so that there would be relatively little residual left over. Maybe not. Propelyne Glycol eh? I'm going to do some surfing to find out what this crap is.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Taste antifreeze OMG

Well actually I tasted dog urine once LMAO not kidding

My cousin was over and his car was leaking something on the road so we went to see what it was, clear and it wasn't any coolant or washer fluid, didn't have the a/c on!

We touched it sniffed it, rubbed between our fingers and dabbed it on tips of our tongues (yes stupid stupid MANY yrs ago)

THEN my brother comes out laughing so hard he can't explain himself!

Standing there red faced bellowing laughter he says

'You idiots some guy just walked his dog down the road and it pizzed on the car'

Well lets just say I learned my lesson, we fought racing to get to the w/r tripping over one another and litterally washing our mouths out with soap!

(DUH!)
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba, you're so funny! That was another rare post that I actualy laughed at!
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba Booba the pee pee taster...............LMFAO..........
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:43 PM

yup, it's a hoax. i'd post the link but i'm not quite that computer savvy!
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

What are the ingredients in the Swiffer WetJet?? What happened to a good ol' broom and dustpan, and mop??? LOL Technology....its crazy!!

I do remember a few years back that whole Febreeze email hoax thing about how it will kill your pets cuz of the chemicals in it!! Well, take it from me, its not good for your animals thats for sure!!

I'm starting to buy all natural cleaning supplies now too, just for the sake of my health and all my critters....its crazy the Sh!t they put in stuff nowadays!! UGH!!!

Hey Luba, what natural product do you use for fabric softener?? I haven't found anything out there for that, and we have WICKED static here!!! And any hints on making the air in our house not smell like "dog"??? (natural stuff of course!)
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Nature clean makes a nice liquid fabric softener!

I am not sure if they distribute out that way but it's fragrance free as well.

The nature clean line is great for house cleaners, dish soap, toilet cleaners, laundry soaps etc.. and shampoo/conditioner
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:02 PM

Opps. I posted before I saw this... it is a hoax..

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...fer_wetjet.htm

Last edited by White Wolf; August 26th, 2006 at 12:56 AM.
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM

The Swiffer WetJet Rumor is not true

I confirmed with P&G and the ASPCA...here are the links:

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page...ews_iv_ctrl=-1

www.swiffer.com

Please stop spreading this rumor as it scares pet owners like myself. It is not true and completely false

Last edited by White Wolf; August 26th, 2006 at 12:56 AM.