Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM
~Cat Servent~

Where to buy bonemeal?

To those of you making your own food where do you go to buy bonemeal?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm pretty sure you can find it at health food stores (I know the brand NOW makes bonemeal). I've also seen it at my local pet food store that carries frozen raw diets. You might just have to call around first to see who has the better price.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; July 25th, 2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Young at Heart

I got a container of Bone Meal from our local health food store - it is "NOW" brand.
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
-

...remembering of course that if you (or any friends reading ) are feeding your animal bones (including poultry) you don't need to add bone meal to their diet as this would be an excess of calcium and phosporous.
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
~Cat Servent~

No no mumx3 I am the one just starting to make food for her cat... I believe you were the one that suggested the bonemeal to me. (thanks by the way)

So far we've got hard boiled eggs, boneless skinless chicken breast, salmon oil and taurine. Bonemeal was the next ingredient I was hoping to add.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM
-

Sounds great ! Pretty soon they'll work they're way up to whole chicken necks ! One of my friends has a cat who LUUUUUUUVVvvvvv's fresh peas ~ likes to play with them a bit then crunch-squishes them down.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:12 AM
~Cat Servent~

Well I'll tell ya... these guys can have ALL of my peas...

Old July 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
No no mumx3 I am the one just starting to make food for her cat... I believe you were the one that suggested the bonemeal to me. (thanks by the way)

So far we've got hard boiled eggs, boneless skinless chicken breast, salmon oil and taurine. Bonemeal was the next ingredient I was hoping to add.
a little.. side topic?? i know you werent askign for advice on diet but places to get bone meal but you can get chicken heart and gizzards enough to feed a cat for a week for under $2 and you will get their supply of taurine.

are you feeding liver?

also how do you get your cats to eat stinkin hard boiled eggs. *sigh* mine wont touch them.

one way i found to get my cats to eat the bone was to take a whole chicken and a sledge hammer, a trash bag and a cloth bag and just pound the snot out of it. once the bones are broken up a little smaller they just crunch right through them but still work their teeth and gums with the larger pieces of meat.

i have found that if i pound a chicken when i get mad, i soon have enough to last a few weeks. anger management at its best!!!
*coughs* ok so bone meal might be a good idea.....

-ashley
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:47 PM
~Cat Servent~

well I really only have one who is eating this, and I don't think i'm going to bother anymore, as he has taken well to Merrick canned food. He was crazy for the eggs, even without the chicken, I even caught him trying to fish them out of the hot water ! He had gone off his food completely when I switched dry so I had to find something that would get him eating again, the eggs did the trick, I was just making them for egg salad and had read here they were good for them so I tried it. Now I have to wrestle him for my eggs! He's doing really well on the Merricks so I guess it worked.

Old July 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
-

Actually wantd4rain I would rather feed bones and egg shells than bonemeal. Anything heat treated and from an unknown source goes to the bottom of my list for preferential foods. And your smashin'bonesangermanagement thing is just icing on the cake wanted4 rain
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:56 PM

i don't know about that bone meal. Previously i only give bone to my dog and then some dog foods. My neighbor also mention that she used to give bone meal to her dog, but i didnt try that.