Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Questions about Propalin (dog incontinence)

Hello everyone,

My vet prescribed Propalin syrup for Mickey's slight incontinence. The dosage is 0.3 ml 3/day for 14 days followed by 0.3 ml 2/day for 7 days then 0.3 ml 1/day for 7 days and finally 0.3 ml every second day. We have to find the smallest dosage that works. Mickey is a male dog who just turned 16 years old. From some of the posts here, several members are using this product. What worries and scares me most are the potential serious side effects:
-agressive behaviour, restlessness
-vomiting, diarrhea
-epileptic episodes, seizures, tremors
-asymptomatic tachyarrythmia, cardiovascular collapse
-allergic reactions

The vet tech told us the side effects are rare but if we see them in Mickey, we have to stop the treatment immediately especially considering Mickey's age. Also I read on the box that it is used to treat incontinence in spayed female dogs. Mickey is a male...

Have you seen any side effects in your dog?

Hubby told me we should start giving him Propalin during the holidays as we will be off work for 2 weeks. We will be able to observe him more closely for any problems. However, if something serious happens, the vet office might be closed... I was wondering if I should start the treatment in the next few days to get the initial 2 week period of high dosage out of the way. But I leave at 8 in the morning and return at 5 in the afternoon so I won't be around to see how he reacts. That worries me also...

Anyway, I would appreciate reading about your experiences with Propalin and how your dog reacted to it.

Thank you!
Old December 7th, 2011, 10:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've also had a male dog treated with Propalin. It worked well and there were no side effects that we could detect. We currently also have three fems on Propalin with no side effects. The trick to it, as you say, is finding the minimal effective dose. In our dogs, at least, we were able to cut the dose way down and still have it work. Of the three fems currently on it, we've got them down to half the minimum recommended dose for their body size and it's still effective. As they get older, we'll likely have to increase it, but we have some wiggle room because they responded so well.

It will all boil down to how well Mickey tolerates it. If it were me, I think I'd touch bases with the vet again and ask how long it would take for any adverse side effects to appear. If it would only be a few days, maybe it would be feasible to start on a weekend when you're off work? Otherwise, my inclination would be to wait till the holidays to start, as well...but I'd make sure I had instructions on what to do in case of an emergency when your regular clinic is closed. Do they have an off-hours paging service?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Thank you Hazelrunpack! Happy to read your positive experience with Propalin. I called the vet and was told I don't have to watch Mickey 24/7 so I can start the treatment anytime. I have to call the vet after the first 7 days to report on his condition. Of course, if problems arise during that time I will call immediately. The vet tech told me the side effects are rare; those relating to cardiac problems usually happen to dogs who already have heart problems which isn't Mickey's case. That's a relief... I mostly have to look out for diarrhea or bloody stools. I pick up his stools everyday so I will be checking very closely!
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Oh! I forgot to mention this: side effects can appear anytime during treatment not only during the first days.
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope it works as well for Mickey as it does for our dogs!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Update

Just thought I would give you an update, it might help some of you. Anyway, Propalin did not work for Mickey. In the third week of treatment I stopped after consulting the vet. We agreed that if was going to work, we would have seen positive results before then.

For 2 days during the first week Mickey didn't leak for 2 days but after that, it started again. The same thing happened during week #2.

It's been more than one week since his last dose and there are days when he doesn't lose any urine and on other days, I only have a few drops to wipe off the floor after he gets up. So I will continue to check the floor when he gets up and I will keep paper towels nearby!
Old January 6th, 2012, 10:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm glad he's doing so well without any meds. Too bad about the propalin--but certainly by the third week, if it was going to work, you'd have seen more consistent benefit from it.

Mickey is a lucky boy to have such a dedicated mom!

Old January 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the update unfortunate that the the meds did not help but on the other hand he is not taking any meds....ya know what I mean? It is always good to hear what results people are having with the many medical troubles that our pets can have. patti
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM

Hazelrunpack, I'm the lucky one for having Mickey in my life!

Pbpatti, I know exactly what you mean...