Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 5th, 2009, 05:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Bloomin'!

My Shasta's and Rose Campion
Name:  100_5387.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  75.7 KB
Shot of my side garden
Name:  100_5403.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  43.2 KB
Anyone know? My sister in law gave it to me a few years back. I forgot.
Name:  100_5428.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  65.2 KB
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

kr's favourite "flower"
Name:  100_5430.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  66.1 KB
My pink coneflower. My white one should be opening this week.
Name:  100_5431.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  75.0 KB
Rudbeckia
Name:  100_5436.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  77.3 KB
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
150% PRO S/N

A few selfseeders from last year.
First two are Calundulas.
Name:  100_5427.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  78.2 KB
Name:  100_5426.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  72.9 KB
This one is a Cerinthe.
Name:  100_5425.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  69.7 KB
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
-

How the heck do you find the time ???? With all the .......

It's beautiful ! But thank dog it's not on my yard

I've been known to just mow them
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM
150% PRO S/N

Ha! They're called perennials Frenchy. All I have to do is find time to weed them. And I'm not doing a great job of that. I have spent about 10 hours or so out there this weekend.
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I can't believe how far advanced your perennials are compared to mine . My cone flowers and black eyed susans are just forming buds.

Like Frenchy said, how do you find the time to keep such beautiful gardens and so many kitties?????

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Molly's mama

wow! beautiful! Everything looks so bright and full! What is kr's favourite "flower" called? I have never seen those before.
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+ I bought one of those perennials this year...Ill check the name when I go out to the garden and let you know. Mine is reddish in color though!

Nice garden pics! looking good! I cant tell mine for the weeds these days! I tried today but tummy still hurts!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
wow! beautiful! Everything looks so bright and full! What is kr's favourite "flower" called? I have never seen those before.
It's called Hens and Chickens mollywog. They are a great filler for full sun. Grow great on rocks with very little dirt. kr likes them because they are pretty much kill proof she says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
14+ I bought one of those perennials this year...Ill check the name when I go out to the garden and let you know. Mine is reddish in color though!

Nice garden pics! looking good! I cant tell mine for the weeds these days! I tried today but tummy still hurts!
I think it's in the salvia/sagey family but can't remember. Was looking in my books for it but haven't had any luck yet. I'll find it or see if my sis in law remembers.
You are supposed to be taking it easy young lady! You and Sylvie have to come for a visit and you need to recoup for that!
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I can't believe how far advanced your perennials are compared to mine . My cone flowers and black eyed susans are just forming buds.

Like Frenchy said, how do you find the time to keep such beautiful gardens and so many kitties?????
L4H - I am in a weird area. Sometimes things are slower, sometimes faster than other areas. Just look at it this way.... your plants will be out in full bloom when mine are on their last legs. :sad:
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Just beautiful! Could that blue spikey flower be veronica? I had something like that in my gardens before I pulled things out to do the raised beds.

It has been cold and raining here the past few days! My hazeldean is trying to bloom and with all this rain I think the blooms are going to rot before I can get out and get more pics! Grr..it has only been in the 50's the past few days. *sigh*

Can u gals send me some warmer weather pleasseeeee???

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Amazing garden you have!. I don't have any coneflowers right now but I did see the most amazing deep hot pink variety at my favorite nursery last week. It's new and it's pricey, so I may wait a year before I bite the bullit and get one, but it's a must have and at the top of my list.

Cindy
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Garden nut

You already have Rudbeckia and Echinacea in bloom? Wow!

Don't put yourself down about the weeds. I've tried to make my gardens look good but it's so hard when going out and within 30 seconds there's either a swarm of black flies, deer flies or horse flies. That, and I'm no good at design which is why all my pics are mostly close ups of the flowers and not the whole area. I always envision what I want mentally but never to seem to have the time, energy, or money to achieve it.

Do you have any Echinacea paradoxa - the yellow droopy species type?
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM

TQ, that spiky blue one looks like Veronica to me as well (mine is just blooming!). AKA Speedwell.
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Everything in bloom! I love the color of the rose campion--I wish I were having better luck with the seeds *sigh* I'm fascinated with the Cerinthe...hidden blossoms! Does that one come in different colors?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
You already have Rudbeckia and Echinacea in bloom? Wow!

Don't put yourself down about the weeds. I've tried to make my gardens look good but it's so hard when going out and within 30 seconds there's either a swarm of black flies, deer flies or horse flies. That, and I'm no good at design which is why all my pics are mostly close ups of the flowers and not the whole area. I always envision what I want mentally but never to seem to have the time, energy, or money to achieve it.

Do you have any Echinacea paradoxa - the yellow droopy species type?
No, just the normal varieties. There are lots of different plants I want to start but I have to get my gardens under control first. No new plants till then. :sad: Black flies and such are bad around here too this year. Too much rain I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
TQ, that spiky blue one looks like Veronica to me as well (mine is just blooming!). AKA Speedwell.
Yep, probably right. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Everything in bloom! I love the color of the rose campion--I wish I were having better luck with the seeds *sigh* I'm fascinated with the Cerinthe...hidden blossoms! Does that one come in different colors?
Cerinthe only comes in that colour. It's a neat little plant I found last year. The seed is hard. Like Morning Glory. It was a pleasant surprise to see a few pop their heads up a while back. I will see if I can gather a few for you. Stick them in the garden somewhere and forget about them. I'm good at that.
The rose campion - the first year you get little tiny plants. The next year you may be lucky and get flowers but you may have to wait for the year after. Once they are established they can start getting invasive.
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

OK--I do have some tiny little plants where I planted the rose campion, so maybe I'm on the right track after all Do any of them have fuzzy leaves? I have some little plants coming up with fuzzy leaves and I'm not sure if they're weeds, or from the seeds.

I'd love to try some Cerinthe seeds!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
150% PRO S/N

Yes, rose campion has fuzzy leaves. If you have them you have the rose campion. It just won't be flowering this year.
I will start collecting seeds as soon as the plant starts dropping them.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Yes, rose campion has fuzzy leaves. If you have them you have the rose campion. It just won't be flowering this year.

I just checked them again today and the rabbits have let them survive another day!

Old July 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

14+,wow,your gardens look beautiful,but then you are sort of a proffesional,we don't live that far from each other,but many of mine are not flowering yet:sad:Lots of buds though!
I took a couple of pics of my one garden in the back,will post them now.