Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Sardines for the omegas

Hi all, I'm feeding raw, meat and bones, and I'm going to use sardines for the omega fats. I was wondering how often I had to feed sardines. I have an 18 lb. Jack Russell/Whippet, who eats about 1/2 lb of food a day. She gets a lot of pork ribs, turkey necks, scraps of beef, and a meal of green tripe (canned and pureed) once a week. Thanks!
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

For an 18 lb dog, just one small sardine could consitute as a meal, so perhaps consider a quarter or half sardine.

1/2 lb of food a day is a bit on the high side for an 18 lb dog, if you notice her getting heavier you might have to cut back a big.

1/2lb should be for a 25 - 30 lb dog. ( roughly)
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Yeah, the food is on the high side, but she is very active, and always bouncing around the house, especially in the spring/summer. She has actually slimmed down a bit from her kibble days, and has a well-defined waist, with just the right amount of padding on her ribs.

I do agree though, .5 lbs is more than I wanted to feed her, she just seems to need it!
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Chow Pei Rescue

If she's very active like you say, then she probably needs that and sometime later on, will level out.

|The one thing we've noticed with raw fed dogs is that their inner mass increases expotentialy and even though they are not fat, they are like picking up lead. One can never achieve that with kibble.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:30 PM

You're right with that, she feels quite a bit heavier, but doesn't look like she has gained any weight! Huh. Do you find organ meats (liver, kidneys) go over as well as regular muscle meat? I can't seem to get her to eat organs, I think it's the texture, maybe they're too rubbery.
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:36 AM
Chow Pei Rescue

You only need a very small amount of organ meats. I've found that often people over feed them. Just imagine that no matter what size of animal your dog would have hunted down and caught, organs would represent such a small proportion of the overall available meat on their caught carcass.

Do remember that heart is considered muscle meat, not organ meat by the way.

You can feed small, frozen chicken livers as treats, or dry out some calf/beef liver in your oven use those as treats instead of treats that are purchased in any store. Far more nutritious and much cheaper. You can sprinkle drying liver with some grated cheese to add an attractive smell. Just keep in freezer afer done.
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I was feeding the raw whole sardines.they are bigger then the canned ones.Once i switched to a fish based kibble i stopped feeding them.

When i raw feed till jag stopped digesting bone.i feed fish once a week and it made his skin and coat soft and shiney