Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM

Cat food help!

This is my first post, but I've been reading these forums with interest. I adopted a cat about a month and a half ago, and she's now about 6.5 months old. I switched her food pretty much immediately (away from Iams) and started her on Wellness wet food (now also interspersed with Merrick wet food), which she loves, and Innova Evo kibble (as recommended/pushed by a pet food store). Anyway, I started getting freaked out by the Evo's ratios, and Bella didn't seem to like it very much, so I switched her to Fromm's 4-star Nutritionals kibble. I'm mid-switch right now, and she's eating so much better! BUT, here's the thing -- after reading the stool hardener post I'm concerned about the tomato pomace in the Fromm's. This is the ingredient list; can anyone tell me if this food is good, bad or what? I'd love to keep Bella on the Fromm's since the pet store near my home carries it and I really like the folks who run it, but if this food sucks I might try switching her to Go!Natural. I hate switching her food AGAIN, though -- don't know how she'll take it! Any help is much appreciated.

Ingredients:
Duck, Duck Meal, Pearled Barley, White Rice, Sweet Potato, Whole Dried Egg, Dried Tomato Pomace, Turkey Liver, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Flaxseed, Ground Oat Hulls, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Chicory Root Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera, Folic Acid, Whole Clove Garlic, Parsley, Chondroitin Sulfate, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Salivarius, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

You know, any canned food is better than any dry where cats are concerned. It's much closer to their natural diet, which is meat ONLY.

If you have the inclination, and only have one cat, you can try her on a raw diet too.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 06:19 PM

We're still feeding her her Wellness and Merrick canned 2x/day, but we leave a measured amount of dry food out for her to free feed. I'm happy with her wet food as it stands, but concerned about feeding her good dry food as well... As for raw, we're still debating it but we're not comfortable going that route at the moment.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Wellness and Merrick are both great foods - no worries there! I would stick with that. She's a lucky kitty!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:00 PM

Tomato pomace isn't so bad. It doesn't release toxins like the beet pulp does. If that's the worst ingredient in the food, it's a pretty good food.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:03 PM

I just noticed that the Fromms has "Menadione Sodium Bisulfate", which is a vitamin K supplement that has a bit of controversy around it right now, although we can't pinpoint what it is all about exactly...
(we're discussing it in this thread: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23500 )