Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 28th, 2014, 12:58 AM

cat anal glands

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've visited, but I've got a new question about my kitty and could think of no where better to go. Gizmo, my 3 year old neutered male longhair, occasionally squirts what the internet tells me is liquid from his anal glands. This generally happens when he's worked up. for instance, if I've got him on his back for a nail trim and it takes too long, a little squirt of pungent brownish fluid comes out. He was a bit energetic tonight and demanded I pick him up. his butt rested against my right forearm and he apparently squirted, because wow. Stinky. so my question is this: since this happens so rarely, maybe once every 2-3 months, is this worth a vet visit to discuss manually expressing his anal glands? i don't mind the expense if it's needed, but he's terrified to the point of peeing in the carrier of traveling. he loves the carrier itself, and will snooze away inside it, but take him out the front door? he cries his little head off, and will pee once we're outside the apartment building. so if I can avoid putting him through that kind of stress, we'd both be happier. He's up to date on all shots, and his last visit with the vet gave him a clean bill of health. He's on wellness deboned chicken kibble, and his peeing and pooping is all normal. he never has loose stool.
Old May 28th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Our Ginger did that when she was stressed. It's a mystery to us why being picked up by the OH stressed her and she was all right with me. She voided them at the Vet's a couple of times too.

If it was me I think once every 2 or 3 months and you can pinpoint a stressing incident means it probably isn't a problem with the gland itself. Try to keep stress down and mention it at your next Vet visit. Though of course a visit, or at least a phone call, to your Vet would not go amiss.