Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM

Talking Childhood pet stories...

Last night as I was cuddling with my two boys, I started remembering some of my pets from when I was a kid, particularly some of the "funny" memories... and I thought I would share and read some of yours too

2 of the ones that I always remember the most, was with our duck (oh yes we had a big duck as a pet ). She was cute and loud, and just like a dog she would always walk around the house following my dad. I was very young at the time, but I still remember her; and I remember how my mom was miserable with her, not only from how loud she was but also because she ruined her precious garden...

It had really stuck in my head how my mother told me"ducks swim in the water", OK, one day I was alone in the backyard with the ducky (still a young baby her self) now, back home in Mexico our homes have a hmmm, I dunno a big sink kind of thing where we do our laundry by hand (called lavadero), so this is always full of water yup, the lightbulb went on in my head -he can swim - so I took her into the water, all the way IN the problem was, I didn't let go of her, so basically I was drawing her while expecting her to swim. Once I took her out and thought "well she can't swim", she was dryed by my mom and given a little tiny pill that you give kids when they have fever, haha not sure why, but she was not doing well, my mom secretly thought finally the duck is gone. Next morning bright and early, the duck comes in the house loud and happy as usual

-----
My other story, involves my rabbit, he was the best pet I had as a Kid, just the best, and he was all mine too... I shared all food with him, oh yes I did, he loved meats, candy, snacks, and of course veggies and rabbit food . One time we found a bird on the street that was hurt, so we took it in and hope that we could nurse it back to health, he was with us for a few days getting better, which was great. One day we come home and we go to the backyard, where we kept all the animals, and notice the bird is gone, a little sad, but happy too because we thought he was all better and went home yay! - wrong!!!! we turn our head and see our rabbit has some blood stains and a couple feathers around his mouth that was all that was left from birdie (not even bones)... He was a big carnivore, I must say, totally my fault but I was just a kid, how was I supposed to know, he even used to fight our dog for her food.

oh the good old days...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

wow a meat eating bunny!! Love animal stories!! When my Mom was little her horse loved garlic sausage and cottage cheese!! He was also super talented at opening gates and could let out all the other critters. My Grandfather had to padlock everything!!

We had a cat when I was little that was crazy!! She was black and white and everyone said she was homely but hey!! Our house had a long hallway, made out of patterned plaster, so not easy to clean. She would as to be let in from outside, first by using the door knocker and if that didn't work, she'd stick her paw through the mail slot and rattle it. Anyway she'd come in at a run and launch herself at the wall!! People would come to visit and there'd be paw prints halfway up the wall..they'd be like HUH!?!? She loved scaring the daylights out of my Mom by sitting by the bathroom door at night and waiting for her to go to the bathroom and then she'd grab my Mom's ankle, no claws but she got the desired effect!! She'd also hide her furry toys in my Mom's shoes and boots, just my Mom of course! She was also very good at letting herself in the back door. She'd jump up on the railing, open the latch and swing in on the door. That was too bad in the summer but in the winter, not so great! My parent's got her spayed (forward thinking they were even in the 60's!) and she was shocked at the look of her tummy. She'd sit propped up on the sofa and just look at her stomach, like she couldn't believe that she'd been shaved!! She was a very cool kitty!
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

We had two dogs a German Shepherd named Gin and a Beagle named Rum .
Rum was a kleptomaniac ! We did not have a leash law and dogs where allowed run free and Rum would go around the neighborhood and steal kids toys and bring them home. He once came home with a toy monkey that was almost as big as him. We had no idea where Rum was getting the toys from but I guess he thought he was on a hunting trip when he brought the monkey home!
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Great stories
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I was given a sweet little Chihuahua for Christmas when I was about 12, Tammy was black and white and the sweetest little dog. We would play hide and go seek and when she found me I would have to cover my backside as I ran to the livingroom because she would jump up and bite my bum! She was also a big camera goof, as soon as I brought out a camera she would pose. She lived to be 13 and I still miss her to this day and that was........? years ago.
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM

I love all the stories so far

Barkingdog - kleptomaniac puppy? lol maybe you should have teach him to take wallets instead of toys!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
I love all the stories so far

Barkingdog - kleptomaniac puppy? lol maybe you should have teach him to take wallets instead of toys!
Well my dad said he had planted a money tree in our back yard and I thought I would be all set. I never did find that tree!