Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 21st, 2013, 06:13 PM
Willing cat servant

what can help to clean cat's liver?

My Cow , 4 months all and my Yoshi , 8 years old at my parents are on ketoconazole since the fungal infection did not respond to topical treatments. I know that medications for funfal infections can be hard on the liver (some more than others, this is not of the most aggressive) however I am looking for something to ease their liver from the burden. I have a few weeks left in here (Mexico) and I want to do as much as I can fir the furbabies here.
Topically I ordered colloidal silver online and coconut oil. (I already tried 2 conventional treatments) What I need now is something to ease their liver.
Anyone know any auxiliary for this?
Thank you

Concerned mama cat Koteburo ♡
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:36 PM

Hi:

I haven't had much experience in fungal infections in cats, but when it comes to liver problems I have one whose liver was compromised 10 years ago and 3 or 4 times a year I have to do a liver cleanse. I have used several different manufacturers of Milk Thistle, but the best one I have found is turned out by a company called A. Vogel. I usually administer it 2 or 3 times a day. I usually mix 2 or 3 drops of Milk Thistle with 1 1/2 mL of water and administered with an eyedropper. The milk Thistle has a wee bit of a strong taste and it's really not appreciated by the cat but Missy has learned to persevere with this for treatment lasting from 10 to 14 days. If possible, add a little more water, it might make it go down easier. And I use distilled water.

I've used colloidal silver for years and have had generally good success with it both with the animals and myself. I've used it both internally and topically for burns, cuts, scrapes, and eye infections. If you're using it topically on the fungal infection I would be interested to know how it works because I haven't had a chance to use it for that application.

Here's the website of the company to give you an idea what I'm using. I hope this info will be of benefit to you.

http://www.avogel.ca/en/herbal-remed...lk-thistle.php
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:53 AM
Willing cat servant

Thank you so much. This is the second time I hear about Milk Thistle, I will definitely look into that. They're healthy cats aside the fungus but I want to help them with the medication they're on. I really appreciate the input.
I'll let you know about the colloidal silver. For hard to beat cases I read the best is a super concentrated one as in 500ppm however I wasn't able to find that one here but the ones in between 10 to 30 ppm can still be used topically and I am. After 3 applications the affected areas look at least more clean so we'll see.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Willing cat servant

I'm so mortified. Yoshi mi didn't take the medication well Im now looking for the milk thistle. im on a 1 day trip in puerto vallarta and my mom is taking good care of them. on the website we order food suplements like the silver they have milk thistle but in capsules I don't know how to give them that. but while in pvr ill look for an extract. I must find it. im so worried. why are these drugs so bad. why this just can't go away and leave my kitties healthy.
sorry for the frustration outburst
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:52 PM

I am sorry to hear things are not working out too well with the topical medication. I googled Ketoconazole and looked at a couple of articles I have to say I was not impressed with some of the side effects. Usually ringworm is brought on to some degree in kittens and old cats due to the immune system being compromised. Are the cats getting a good quality wet food? Raw feeding would be great but that's another story. Previous medications or vaccinations also have a tendency to compromise immune system, or maybe the kitten had the problem before you got her.

As far as the milk Thistle capsules go, I haven't had any experience with them. A person would have to know what's in them other than the milk Thistle and is the capsule able to be split into small enough servings, because if you can't make the serving small enough it will have a tendency to tax the liver even more. The cats liver is very delicate and if you're not careful you could upset it's ability to metabolize what's going on in its environment even more.

I think if I was in your place I would be putting my faith in the colloidal silver since the Ketoconazole seems to be causing such a problem. How often are you applying the colloidal silver? I think if it was me I'd be looking at at least half a dozen times a day if not more. I am enclosing a website that has a decent article on treating ringworm, and maybe there's something in that website that would be of use to you in treating the fungus. And no doubt Sandy will have some ideas on treating the liver as well.

http://www.holisticat.com/ringworm.html

Hopefully there's something in here of value to you. I wish I was able to do more. I'll be watching for updates the best of luck.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Willing cat servant

The kitten is responding very well to the Ketoconazole (given orally) is Yoshimi who is an 8 year old adult the one who's having a hard time. She puked all day yesterday, was hidding and in pain. We just suspended it because it was just not good for her, causing more problems than the infection itself.
My cowsie is doing good, healthy, eating and playing while on Ketoconazole suspension (orally since creams did not work by themselves). He eats a lot of tuna and sardines, besides regular wet food (commercial brand).
I'm visiting in Mexico in a small city and trying to get high quality cat food like the one I use in Calgary it's just beyond chance (maybe in a big city...). However I'm feeding a lot of fish and he's growing and gaining weight.
I am going to go for something as close as possible to the thistle milk extract on the link you gave me. I saw it already in a store online. (I didn't get the capsules, don't want to chance an od). They also started today on a bit of coconut oil daily.
As I started to apply the colloidal silver I've seen for the first time real change. The injures look way cleaner, less irritated, he even stopped scratching same for Yoshi. I'm even starting to see tiny mini mini new hair growing and one of the affected spots is actually fading away. I do it 5 times a day but considering it's only a 15 ppm I need to do it more often.
I read the article and I'm 95% convinced that if I could get a hold of higher concentrated colloidal silver this thing would go away in not too long.
Old February 24th, 2013, 11:20 PM

I am glad that the kitten is responding to the treatment hopefully Yoshimi will too, and will show improvement in a few days. Something else that might work is Aloe Vera Juice. it has an antibiotic effect and can be worth a try. I will be talking to my pharmacist in a few days and see if he has any suggestions for something topical. The thing to watch out for is topical products that are good for you and I and or other animals can be extremely hazardous to our cats.

I see you're having fun with the nutritional food for the cats in Mexico. Tuna and sardines make a great treat from time to time but be very careful about using it as a meal replacement. Tuna is known to have negative effects on a cat. As far as the coconut oil goes the only experience I've had is for human consumption.

You're talking about using colloidal silver at 500 ppm. I have had no experience with it. All my work has been involved with 5 to 35 ppm. I know about 7or 8 years ago there was a lot of controversy about the higher parts per million when used as a dietary supplement. But if you're satisfied with the research you have done and you think it will do a job then go for it. In the meantime I'll keep my eyes open my ears to the ground for anything that could be of value to you and let you know.
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:56 PM

I was into the pharmacy yesterday and spoke to one of our pharmacists who is qualified in dispensing prescription drugs for animals. We went over several topical creams that were being used in the area for ringworm in dogs and farm animals. He did a little further checking and found that the compositions in the medications could possibly be detrimental to the cats health so he would not recommend them.

Today I had reason to go to the Co-operative Feed Store, and told them of the problem with the ringworm that you are having. They pulled a bottle of M -T-G off a shelf, and said that they had a lot of customers in the farm area that are using it and found it was working quite well for ringworm, and that it was safe for cats as well.

Here's the website for Shapley's Equestrian Grooming Products check it out and see if this product would be of value to you.

http://shapleys.com/products-2/original-mtg/
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Willing cat servant

I'm saving this information.
I really appreciate you taking the time and concern to ask around. I really do
Bookmarked info for sure . Who would have thought a horse product even more when cats are so delicate. This is just awesome! I'm really happy. I'm going to look around here. In a couple of weeks I'm going back to Calgary and if anything I'll mail it here to my mom in case of very unwanted future outbreaks.
The things we learn through this.
In the mean time I stumbled across an article by a cat breeder (persians to be specific) she had a serious fungal problem in her cattery and with the assistance of 3 vets she administrated a ketoconaloze pills treatment.
She mentions that kittens in between 4 to 6 months old only take it for no more than 5 days. In here the cow had to take ketoconazole suspension the dose was lower than the pills so I gave it to him for 1 week (as opposed to 30 TO 45 DAYS!!! I was told at the vet) and let him rest for 2 weeks and IF needed administrate another week. I must say to the ketoconazole's favor his skin cleared alot, assisted by topical treatments of colloidal silver of 15 ppm and terbinafine cream every 12 hours.
For Yoshimi ketoconazole was TERRIBLE, she got sick after only 2 takes of it but it worked for the cow. His skin is WAY healthier now.
Just like people no one can be on an antifungal ORAL treatment for an extended period without having consequences for the liver it just makes perfect sense to me you have to be even more careful with a cat. They need to rest so organs can clean themselves.

With only silver and terbinafine Yoshi's and Bu's skin are clearing and growing hair.
I've been reading reviews and I'm SO looking for M-T-G

BTW On a side note my grandpa used to buy a cream for horses for muscle pain to use it on us and it worked wonderfully. It was smelly but very effective.

Last edited by Koteburo; March 8th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Willing cat servant

Yay! My husband ordered the M-T-G from a store right in Alberta and he'll be coming here to pick me up and for a mini vacation since ours got interrupted in December.
Bu is cured and Yoshimi and the Cow have MEGA improved. We have decided not to go with the ketoconazole anymore but stick to the silver and wait for the mtg when my husband brings it.
Can't thank you enough for your kindness
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:50 PM

Great to hear things are working out for the better for you and the Furbies. By the time you get the M -T-G in your hands the cats episode with the ringworm should almost be over. I assume the liver is still okay after the treatment with the Ketoconazole, or did you give them some Milk Thistle to help them along through the treatment?

Did you continue with the colloidal silver at 15 ppm, or did you go after the 500 ppm? Myself personally with the experience I've had with colloidal silver I prefer to stay with the lower parts per million normally between 8 and 10 ppm. I add a small amount to the raw food when I making it for a safety factor. Works great for cuts and burns, and it makes a great eyewash as well. What I have found is that it isn't the parts per million that counts, it's the size of the silver particles in the colloidal that does the job that we're after. I can see in the future where people are going to be more interested in the particle size of the silver rather than the parts per million, and will be asking to see lab reports showing the results of the transmission electron microscope (TEM) that will be more to the point. I would have to think that the 15 ppm that you got is a good colloidal silver from a reputable firm, and it could quite well be better than the 500 ppm that you're looking at.
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Willing cat servant

I decided to stick to the 15 ppm colloidal silver in part because of the unavailability of a higher one but on the other side 15 ppm seems to be working just excellent so why fix what's not broken huh?
You might be just right and it's the quality and the particle size what counts.
The thing is it's working, assisted by coconut oil and it's working too. Bu is a 100% healed, Yoshimi almost there and the cow's face is 100% healed just a spot on his neck that is growing hair but still lacking some fur, no scaly skin or scabs at all though.
I didn't use the thistle because I just did what that breeder did with the ketoconazole and limited the treatment to 6 days only. That gave The Cow a huge boost without hurting him.
I think I'll be able to leave the kitties healthy and with a healthy skin after all.
Soon I'll be posting a video of all the crew in Mexico. They're so cute
I love them BIG time, as much as I love Mulder, Scully and Bobandy back in Canada.
Now we just wait for the MTG and by then like you said the problem will probably be close to none. but still I'll leave it here just in case.