Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Blame not the breed!

Last option with Ivermectin - Kyra's skin problems

My female Pit Bull rescue Kyra has been plagued for years now with hair loss, itching, and sores! Done everything from food changes, to steroids like prednisone, to allergy shots! I want to try Ivermectin, but my vet does not! I've purchase Ivermectin 1% cattle & swine 50ml elsewhere, and need to know the dosage formula for oral treatment! She is 48 pounds at present! Hope someone can help asap! Thanks!
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry I can't help you with dosage information, but I would recommend you get a second vet opinion before you opt to self medicate your girl. I know you want to help her, but perhaps your vet has a reason to tell you not to give her the Invermectin. Good luck to you with your girl.
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:25 PM

Has your vet done skin scrapings on her? I'm assuming thats the first thing they would have done. If your vet is choosing not to treat with Ivermectin due to a clean skin scraping it may be wise to have another one done just to be sure.
But I agree with Dog Dancer, the best thing to do is to find out precisely why the vet has chosen not to treat with Ivermectin.
P.S. In my experience Ivermectin has always been most effective injected. I don't think orally dosing her would be the best option. But again, contact your vet for a more in depth reason for his/her decision and perhaps ask if there would be any harm in trying the treatment.
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Why not contact another vet for a second opinion instead of self medicating with a product made for a different species? I would be worried that the cattle formula is different and could cause harm to a dog.
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Blame not the breed!

She's the only vet in the area! She started out having scrapings down which showed demodex mange, and gave me some shampoo that was black, and smelt bad! After about a month she had another scraping which showed 2 mites in the result! The vet said this was normal, and that I no longer needed to treat her! within days the sores increased, hair fell out, , scratching, and chewing got intensified! A return visit to the vet has told it's allergies, and was prescribed Prednisone! After about 4 months of this drug, vomiting, diareah, and a zombie like dog now almost completely bald I'd had enough! Return to the vet, paid 400 for an allergy test, results were allergies to 32 things! After 2 years of allergy desensatization shots with no results I desided to do things my way! Switched her to a veggy, and fish diet! After only 3 weeks the sores were gone yet the scratching remained! Oddly enough the allergy test states that she is most allergic to mixed fish! Funny how fish made her better no? Anyways, Returned to the vet asking questions! She prescribed Revolution, and after 2 months of this, plus her sores returned I asked about Ivermectin! She says it rarely works, and she refused to do it saying it could be lethal! So all this brings me to here! Hope this clarifies things! Is the dosage 1/10th cc for every 10lbs of dog weight?
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you tried a natural, raw diet?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovNKyra View Post
I asked about Ivermectin! She says it rarely works, and she refused to do it saying it could be lethal!
I would heed this warning from your vet especially since your dog obviously has a compromised immune system that is unsuccessfully attempting to fight off something that has not yet been diagnosed

From http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html
Quote:
WHILE WE RECOGNIZE THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO BUY
LARGE ANIMAL FORMULATIONS OF IVERMECTIN (SUCH AS IVOMEC®)
THROUGH CATALOGS, WE STRONGLY DISCOURAGE THIS PRACTICE
BECAUSE OF THE POTENTIAL TO EASILY GIVE A TOXIC DOSE
IF THE PRODUCT IS INCORRECTLY USED

LARGE ANIMAL FORMULATIONS ARE MUCH MORE CONCENTRATED
AND IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO MEASURE A DOSE APPROPRIATELY
FOR A SMALL ANIMAL
ESPECIALLY IF ONE IS ATTEMPTING
TO MEASURE A DOSE APPROPRIATE FOR HEARTWORM PREVENTION.
THERE IS TREMENDOUS POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS
IF IVERMECTIN IS INAPPROPRIATELY DOSED.
I would suggest a consultation with a trained homeopathic vet, even one you can contact via phone/email if you don't have one in your area.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying