Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 20th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Good dog gone bad. Why???

We got Valentine little over a month ago, at 8 weeks old. And i was braggin on how good she was with potty training, well for the past two days, up all of a sudden she starts peeing in the house. I dont understand why. She was doing soooo good about going outside, and now all of a sudden shes peeing in the house. We limit her on her water intake, she is taken out every hour sometimes before the hour. The thing is, we will take her out to do her business and she will and like 10 mins after we bring her in, she squats and pees in the floor, and we had just taken her out. I dont understand why she is all of a sudden doing this. We still cannot break her from peeing in her crate. She is getting worse and worse bout this. We take her out right before bed. Huby goes to bed round 1:30 or so and thats the last time shes let out for the night, well unless she whines at night wanting out. but when hubby goes to let her out, her box is like a huge lake full of pee. Her last meal to eat or drink is 6. She dont get nothing after that. Why is she still peeing in her box. The only time shes in her box is at night time, or if we are unable to watch her. I dont understand why she is doing this all of a sudden. What is going on. Will she ever stop peeing in her box. Me and hubby wanted to eventually not have to use a crate, but the way things are going i dunno. How do we break her from peeing in her crate, and why is she all of a sudden peeing in the house.Let me remind you again, we limit her water intake, and we take her out every hour sometimes before the hour and she comes straight in from outside and squats. Why????
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie00
Her last meal to eat or drink is 6. She dont get nothing after that.
I'm sure others will post about your housebreaking issues, but I just wanted to comment on the above..... that's just wrong. do not deny your puppy water! limiting water is not the same as denying it. Simply don't let her drink an entire bowlfull right before bed. denying her water from 6pm on, is just mean.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Have her checked for a uti, limiting water for that long will definitely promote crystals in the urine.
Old March 20th, 2006, 11:54 AM

I would check for a UTI as well; also remember that your puppy is not old enough to expect it to be completely housetrained yet.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM

peeing in bed

Just like Phoenix has said, your puppy is very young and her ability to hold it is not developed so if the urge comes she must obey! Time will change that. Continue house training her accidents will become fewer as she ages.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:05 PM

I first got Toby at 8 weeks and for the first little while I was waking up each hour of the night, as soon as I'd hear him moving around the crate, to take him out. I didn't want him to get in the habit of peeing in the crate and/or house and I had been told that his bladder wouldn't be developed enough to hold it in for a while.

It worked - but it meant a few weeks of sleepless nights for me!

Good luck!
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Oh im not expecting her to be 100 % housetrained this young. Its just she hadnt had not one accident until two days ago. I was just wondering why the sudden change. she was doing soooo good. Although the crate was a different story. shes been peeing in her box from day one since we got her. I dont know what else to do to break her from peeing in her box. I had someone tell me to let her start sleeping with me and not use the box. But then again i was told not to let her sleep with us. Would she pee in our bed if i let her start sleeping with us. Prolly huh??? I can handle the accidents in the house, its just if i dont get her broke from peeing in her crate now, its never gonna stop.

And as for the water issue. Thats what i was told to do. Take her water away after a certain time in the evening. I didnt know that was wrong. Its just some advice i was given.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And as for the water issue. Thats what i was told to do. Take her water away after a certain time in the evening. I didnt know that was wrong. Its just some advice i was given.
you don't let her drink after 6pm, yet her last trip outside is 1:30......common sense should tell you this isn't right and it's bad advice. definately get her checked out by a vet to rule out a medical reason for the accidents.

ETA: limiting water just before bedtime is understandable, not totally denying water for 6+ hrs before bed.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I agree about the vet if she is peeing abnormally frequently then a vet visit is always the best advice. If she is just peeing in her crate at night I have 5 dogs that all grew out of crate messing.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:50 PM

I was just wondering how much longer she is gonna keep peeing in her crate??? She is almost 4 months old. She is very rarely in her crate, but when she is she pees it full
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was just wondering how much longer she is gonna keep peeing in her crate??? She is almost 4 months old. She is very rarely in her crate, but when she is she pees it full
If she has medical problems like a UTI or crystals the problem will continue, , start with the vet visit
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Lucy's daddy

Quote:
She is very rarely in her crate, but when she is she pees it full
Read what I have quoted from you and there's your answer!

The only place dogs do not like to pee or poop is where they eat and sleep. If your dog is rarely at the place where she sleeps and eats, then she doesn't consider it hers. She needs to spend a lot of time in there despite all the nagging and growling you might hear. She needs to understand that the crate is where she's supposed to be unless told otherwise.

I have problems making my Lucy understand this too. She's 12 weeks old and sometimes runs away from me thinking that I'm going to put her in her crate, but I've been told that this behavior will vanish as time goes by.

Your dog clearly does not understand the meaning behind her crate. I assume that's due to the numerous distractions around her and the attention she gets as a result of being a newcomer!

Make her spend a lot of time in there. If she pees, do not clean it. Make her dislike the odor and the wet feeling. She'll grow out of it.

The sudden change in her peeing habbit is definitely not normal and she must be taken to a vet.
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush
Make her spend a lot of time in there. If she pees, do not clean it. Make her dislike the odor and the wet feeling. She'll grow out of it.
I disagree STRONGLY with that..... not only SHOULD you clean it, but clean it WELL, with an enzyme cleaner such as Natures Miracle to get rid of the scent. Accidents are not a dog's fault, always the owner's fault, or in some cases, the symptom of a medical problem.

Please don't punish your dog by making her stay in a soiled area - it's cruel, and certainly will not make her like her crate more.