Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Melamine the culprit in Menu Foods?

http://kdka.com/topstories/topstorie...089101540.html

Recalled pet foods contained a chemical used to make plastics, but government tests failed to confirm the presence of rat poison, federal officials said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient. Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a fertilizer, in the urine of sick cats, as well as in the kidney of one cat that died after eating the company's wet food.

I remember eating off of melamine plates as a child.... that was bad enough.

I am not sure how this connects... it could be a red herring? But if they are using plastic as fertilizer in China, I don't know how nutritious that would be? Or how dangerous. I don't want to be eating it, at all, or feeding it to my family! I mean ugh...
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

what will they think to feed us next? Look up the ingredients in "Splenda" ... supposedly so great, it's made from crap as well. One guy I know posted a report on it, but the makers of S threatened with a law suit - and being gibber and richer than him they could afford to do so. He had to back down, but I have the original report if anyone is interested.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

I don't think I'd be surprised by anything found in that food by now.
It's seems to be taking a long time for the labs to find out exactly what's gone wrong. What else will they find?

I find this part of the story unnerving:

"The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said"

I hope there's no problem with dry food because it will effect even more pets.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Beagle Girl View Post
I find this part of the story unnerving:

"The apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to an unnamed company that manufactures dry pet food. The FDA is attempting to determine if that product, imported from China, was used to make any pet food, Sundlof said"

:
oh, wow. That is really worrisome:sad:
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

grr. more on the FDA food recall thing.

From the Aticle in todays Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/s...520853,00.html

"In a news conference, FDA officials said that the apparently melamine-contaminated wheat gluten also was shipped to a company that manufactures dry pet food, but they would not name the company."

Are they not releasing this information to stop possible panic? is that a good enough reason? i sure as hell would want to know if there was the smallest possibility that my boy was eating a possible tainted dry food regardless of the panic that this possible recall would cause.
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM

This is so ironic.

For 2 weeks now, I've been debating with several people about the rat poisen and how they determined it. Nowhere was it specified what the poisen was. "Rat poisen", in my opinion, means nothing more than "something that can kill a rat", which melamine can? Or can't? Who cares. This is WAY too "hush hush" for my taste. And I (for one) cannot BELIEVE that they're not recalling every food that contains this ingredient (wheat) as a precaution, or even more alarming, that they're singling it out to canned foods made only at Menu Foods.

If the wheat is the culprit, and it was contaminated before it left China, it just doesn't make sense to me that Menu is the ONLY company that imports it. And why is this a new problem? Did they (China) just start spraying their crops with this "poisen"? What were they using before?

I'm not buying it. No one source seems to be able to give a solid answer with the proof to back it up. A lot more testing needs to be done NOW (and not back in december, 3 months before the recall ever happened).
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Threads merged.
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Performance Spaniels

Well.......

Maybe PeTA had something after all. Though I have an issue with the FDA not saying much yet..

Toronto's classical station around lunch had a quick pet food recall news byte, that linked iams dry as a contaminated issue at least in canada, but that's about all they said.
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:24 PM
-

This just irks me to no end. They ALWAYS make these type of announcements on a FRIDAY .....are we supposed to forget about it by Monday and have calmed down by then? And, WHY is the FDA being so secretive?

I've emailed Iams to ask them about this. I'll post my reply when I receive it.
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Has anyone heard from Performatrin? I emailed them the other day asking them where their wet and dry food is manufactured, and if any of their wet food is affected by the recall. And so far they haven't replied. There is no mention of it on their website.

I didn't know where to post this as there are so many threads dealing with this subject.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:17 PM

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/M...2007_en_CA.htm

Funny how all along they were adament about NO dryfood being recalled, and then today Prescription Diet m/d Feline was recalled. I tried calling the 1-800 number earlier, ofcourse noone was there and I got a recorded message. NOT ONE WORD mentioned about the dry food recall for cats. WTF!

I use veterinarian science diet adult original (dryfood) and now am paranoid.
Tomorrow I think I am going to buy a different brand until things calm down.

Can anyone give me afew suggestions for a 'well known' and 'trusted' cat food (dry) brand that won't make my cat sick??? Thanks!
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:28 PM

Felidae seems to be the safest right now, IMO...

www.canidae.com