Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM

9wk puppy not eating

Our 9wk puppy (pug/peke) hasn't been eating since wednesday night, she will not even eat her sauages treats or milkbones. I was able to get her very small amount of hotdog thursday night. Thursday morning around 4:30am she threw up. We took her to the vet thrusday morning and vet said looks like shes getting a cold. Her noose is all snotty looking. The vet put her on meds and said to bring her back in 24hrs, if we don't see any improvements. Right now she's at the vet and got blood work done, her sugar level is at 49. They are putting her on IVS, to help bring it back up. Anyone got any suggestions how to get her to eat when she comes home? The vet said she would give us some suggestions. But I would like to get some more input.

Thank You
Mike
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

what has the breeder said about it? please don't give a 9 week old baby hotdogs, that will just worsen the situation, make or buy some pedialyte to keep the pup from getting dehydrated and possibly replacement milk, maybe you could mix it with a good quality puppy food....I'm' sure other members will have more to say.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
NOT a senior member

Yes you definately want a 9wk old puppy to eat, but hotdogs are probably not your best bet. Since hydration is very important for puppies, I would get some quality canned puppy food to be feeding her once she gets home. It's good that she is being assessed by your vet, as puppies especially small breeds can go downhill very quickly if they dehydrate and before you know it you have a critical situation.

Good quality canned is highly digestable, and contains essential moisture that your baby will need. If you find she still is turning up food, you can try to put a small amount of canned food on your finger, and smudge it in the inside corner of her mouth. I've done this sometimes for my Minpins, and after a few tries they usually are licking it off my finger, and suddenly get their appetite back to eat on their own. Toy breeds can get hypoglycemic, and lose their appetite so this helps to pick them up and want to eat again in my experience.

I hope your girl is okay and feeling better soon, I know how awful it is when they are sick.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......