Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I <3 Fur

Question Where to find an older hypoallergenic dog?

I've browsed through the forums and am not quite sure where a post like this would live. Please move if it doesn't belong here.

I am looking for an older dog (1-2 years and up) for my mother in law. She lives alone and has lost her two large breed crosses in the last few years. After grieving for a period of time she is starting to consider finding another dog as a companion. Since her adult daughter has developed allergies recently she is limited in her breed choices. However, she is interested in something on the larger side since she lives alone and a bigger dog makes her feel more secure.

My parents have Goldendoodle (we think...she's a rescue) and she has fallen in love with her. Now, the hunt is on to find an older dog that would be suitable. While she is prepared and able to provide the training and exercise required, I don't think she is prepared for the full responsibility of a brand new puppy. An "adolescent" or older thats had a bit of training and socialization would be ideal.

Living in Toronto, I haven't had much luck with shelters. Most dogs I've looked at seem to have aggression problems, or are breeds that wouldn't suit in this case. But I'm open to the fact that I just don't know the right places to look. I've browsed cragslist, kijiji, the local papers, etc....no shortage of puppies but absolutely no older dogs.

I'd really appreciate if anyone had any advice or knew of any available dogs that might fit the bill.

Again I apologize if this is in the wrong place.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

have you checked petfinders?

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

and remember, not all "lab/poodle" mixes are hyporallergetic...some take on the lab traits
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Check poodles on Petfinder!! A standard poodle is a large, hypoallergenic breed that is very smart and generally, moderately active. Also - most labradoodle/goldendoodles will be listed there as well.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

here is listings for your area (I think)
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?...tsearch=Search
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Before we got our first dog we were researching breeds that could co exist with allergy sufferers and for a while we were leaning towards a Portugese Water Dog. I had found a rescue a couple hours drive from here. Then I got sick and we thought a smaller dog with less energy would work better for our family but one day I hope I'll get in touch with that rescue again.

I think that almost every breed has a rescue organization or a benefactor of some sort. I love that you're looking for an older dog.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM
-

It's great that you and your MIL are looking at adopting rather than purchasing! Older dogs are the best (imho) but, I think if you are looking to avoid "the puppy years" you want to look at a dog older than 1-2 years. Three maybe if not 4 or 5.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

What about an Airedale? Here's a real cutie

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16218940

Or what about this sweetheart!!! Bouvier mix

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15808295

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

And don't leave out Old English sheepdogs
My Buddy is a sheepdog mix, and does not shed and does not set off peoples allergies.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I <3 Fur

Thank you all for your suggestions. From my posts on Kijiji I've been sent quite a few different directories of shelters/rescues as well as individual emails.

There are few pups that are available that seem like they might be a good fit.

I have to take a moment to share a bit of a rant. Ive attached an email thread from the most recent correspondence from a shelter. I was floored at their initial response (which was in response to a similar email to my post here and is not included in the screenshot i took).

First of all I never had the website address, I was only given the email from a stranger who answered my kijiji post. Second of all I completely take responsibility for the shortness of my response back, but I'm sorry, I see nothing wrong with an email to inquire about anything available. Its been my experience (when I worked for a shelter...that had over 40 dogs...just saying ) that there is a high turn over and often what is posted on the website might not be 100% accurate. So even if I had been able to browse the site to see what was there....is it rude to send an email explaining my circumstances and inquiring further???? Third of all...name calling??? really??

Please dont feel the need to respond. I'm not looking to stir the pot, just needed to vent a little.
Attached Images