Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Hello from SC

Hello my name is Salenna and we are a family of 4 well 5 now because we have just gotten a 9 week old Daschund Male named Luke. We are truely Rottie lovers missing our 3 yr old Rottie Yogi he meant everything to us but had to be put to sleep due to a brain tumor . We are new to the Daschund and would appreciate any helpful info on the breed. Luke is a sweet boy only 1 accident in the house thus far. Jimmy and I have 2 daughters 4 yr old Kelsea and 1 yr old kaleigh.
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Welcome, is your doxie a mini or standard? Short haired, long haired or wire haired?

I have a mini long haired doxie and a golden retriever. Dachshunds have special issues because of their long backs and their personalities (after all they were bred to go down the hole after badgers). They can have very strong personalities, but they are very loving too. I also had a standard dachshund when I was a child.

Pictures please, we love pics. You can see my doxie in the picture thread. My Valentin and Brotherly Love are two of his pics.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with Luke, only one accident. Sorry to hear of your Rottie's passing, it is always hard to lose a furbaby.

Hope to hear more from you soon
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Hey thanks for the welcome Luke is a mini short haired I have never had one before and I have to admit a spontaneous buy my daughter went crazy over him and hubby too they didnt want to give me anytime to do any research but he seems to be doing good. Are doxies usually good with little kids? (maybe we wont have to concern ourselves with it beings we are raising him from a baby.) Had one accident last night but it was my fault he was whinning at me but i didnt pick up on the hint quick enough lol. I tried to post a pic but it said file was to big so trying to figure out how to fix it. Also thanks for your condolences my 4 yr old still cries alot about Yogi and it has been 2 years our hearts still ache.
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Mini Dachshunds

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your Roti. Unfortunately, I am the former Mommy of mini Dachshunds, so understand how you feel. Definitely heed the advice given with respect to the Dachshund disc disease - which affects not only the dog's back, but also the neck. If your pup should start to limp and it is not related to a paw sprain or stone etc., it could be calcification of a neck disc - a lot of people don't know this - we found out the hard way with our first Dachshund. He had neck and back surgery - all discs were effected - a real fighter - note comments about "strong personality" in other posts. We have had 7 Dachshunds - 4 at one time - but the only 2 who suffered from the disc disease were our 2 darling benevolent Alphas who took care of everyone - especially Mommy. My second darling had middle of the night surgery in June 2003 and died 10 months after - further disc damage and they couldn't operate. If possible, you should try and train your pup to use a ramp to get into bed (your bed of course) and up on to the couch and try to restrict stair usage. Baby gates work unless your pup is a natural athlete and then forget it (speaking from experience). If your dog goes missing, check under the pillow between case and pillow - or unroll the duvet even if it is the middle of summer. Love food -especially Italian - but so important to keep weight down. I consider myself fortunate to have found 2 soul mate dogs, but just couldn't go through it again. I wanted to wait a year to get another dog, but my husband wanted to get one sooner - although of course I provide all care. We had had a Beagle before we started with Dachshunds, but I loved the Dachshunds, and the Neurosurgeon has 2 Beagles and they have had same back/neck surgery - very common now in this breed - also termperament has changed over last 20 years since ours died. Now we have the last type of dog I would have expected - an American Eskimo mini/standard - about 20 lbs. Funny, when we adopted our Beagle, my husband at first wanted a Samoyed. So 30 years later, we have an Eskimo. I am definitely a hound person, but the options weren't there - couldn't have dealt with a Bassett - really nice personalities - my Eskie's boyfriend is a Bassett, by I wouldn't be able to pick him up and run. I am sure your Dachshund will give you many years of joy - and I definitely am not trying to scare you with what could happen, because often it won't - or only one disc will be affected, instead of all. My guys just happened to be 2 of the worst cases ever seen at Guelph University. BY THE WAY, the only dog who would stare down a Rottweiller at the vet was my first Dachshund - there used to be a calendar showing the stare down of the 2 breeds. Dachshunds can be like Doberman's in disguise, and with my Alphas I would cringe when people would tell their children to go "pet the little puppy". Little puppies they were not. The other 5 had much mellower personalities. Although I can approach any Dachshund, any where, any time. My Eskimo has noted my bond with Dachshunds at PetSmart. He is very social with all dogs, but looks a bit worried when we meet Dachshunds - particularly Alphas - actually he "salutes". He is trying very hard to be an EskieHound. Hope you don't get a lot of snow where you live - that is a blast. I hope to read lots of happy stories about your Dachshund for many years to come.
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Snowdancer
Thanks for the info it always helps to know what to look for. Like I said before it was really a spontaneous purchase but he is so loveable and such a good boy except for at about 3am every morning he starts whinning and barking and howling lol I get up and take him potty and then re-warm the water bottle I put in his crate and go back to bed but he never stops crying until we get up and start to get ready for the day but during the day he lays in his crate its his favorite place.Hubby is getting frustrated with this night time behavior but he also understands he is just a baby. My parents had an American Eskimo he had always been a really good dog no bad behaviors but suddenly for what seemed like no reason at all he started attacking my dad and then attacked my mom one day as she was walking in the house. They took him to the vet and tried several different things then the vet decided that he needed to be put down he was to much of a danger to everyone. will try again today to get pic on here of luke but have to figure out how to resize the file. I just hope that this little guy is good with my kids the older that he gets I was told that this was a good breed for my very active 4 year old. I hope that they were right.
Attached Images

Last edited by ksjduffle; March 16th, 2005 at 08:39 AM.
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Such a cute little face!!!
I can see why you couldn't resist!!
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

ksjduffle - My first reply did not take - I timed out I guess. Your Luke is adorable - I am ready to laugh and cry at same time. Re whimpering at night, once he is allowed into your bed that will stop. You will find the whimpering will start a little earlier each night until you give in - of course it would be nice if he were trained by then. Luke should be good with the kids and will no doubt be very protective of them - just have to watch that they take care because he is so small. When holding him if he is guarding you, remember with his long back, he has a long reach - suggest you keep a hand under his chin. I totally understand what happened with your parents' Eskimo. I am terrified of this happening with mine - although at 11 months, despite not having the best start in life, he is the sweetest Eskimo my vet has ever met (and the groomer, trainer (who has one), vet staff, people on the street etc. agree) so I am hopeful. Just have to give him lots of love. Just wish he would recognize word "ouch" when it is said by someone other than him. A nice little Dachshund is very concerned about Mommy's pain. My Eskie is very sociable with other dogs, except for the Eskimos he has met at PetSmart and keeps an eye on the one who "lives" in the mirror. He is very smart, as were the Dachshunds, except they were cunning as well. You are in for some surprises at your house. My pup could probably use a companion for exercise/entertainment purposes but since we are in our mid 50s without family I worry and of course I love hounds. From your experience with Eskimos you will know they play rough - not the best roughhouse dog for a dog who has to "watch his back" - literally. I look forward to hearing of Luke's antics and more pictures.
Old March 21st, 2005, 11:01 PM

That is one cute punum
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:35 PM
banned user

Luke has one adorable face
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Kitty Consort

Oh, Luke is adorable! Such a sweet little face.
My son and daugther-in-law have a brand new mini-doxie ( Moxie) whose also been whimpering all night long in the crate. They have now moved her to a playpen beside their bed, which seems to be allowing more sleep for all.
She seems to be doing very well on the housetraining, and though still having accidents of course.. will go when taken outside.

All the best of luck with your new puppy. I'm sure he'll be a wonderful family companion, and will settle in nicely!
Look forward to more pics and stories of his progress.
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Yes Luke is a sweet boy still having accidents in the house but will go when taken outside. He is stubborn tho will not come when called I know he is young but just completely ignores you lol puppy obedience here we come lol Whats the best age to start in a class? Is it normal for a puppy not to be very playful he is a huge part of the family already but he does not really want to play and does not get excited about treats or really about anything lol whining at night has gotten somewhat better I may be mean but I dont trust him out of his crate yet at night because we have a new house with all new carpet that I dont want ruined selfish of me i know well have to go
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually, it is very unusual for a Dachshund not to be interested in food. Dachshunds are #1 on the food loving chain - hence the problem with keeping weight down and trying to control disc disease - I am sure you have seen the overweight dogs on the street. Re playing, my 2 brilliant Alphas "supervised" the playing of our other non-genius level Dachshunds - but would occasionally lower themselves to play ball with my husband, but more to humour him. The "in between" Dachshunds loved to play constantly. The Alphas were too busy protecting me, the house etc. - their main job. So it could be Luke falls more into this category. He may just be going through a phase, but if he continues to show little interest in treats it might be worthing mentioning when next speaking with your vet - should raise an eyebrow of interest. Or perhaps Luke wants you to up the anty - mine loved home-made Italian food. I expect much of the night whining will cease once he succeeds in making it to your bed at night. I hope all is well with him.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

That little face is so irresistable! I want to chuck him under his lip with my finger and make him yawn! Then give him a kiss on his furrowed little forehead! Ahh puppies! :love:
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Please let us know when your pup takes a liking to treats. I casually mentioned your post to my husband and he didn't believe me. Re the not coming when called, well not uncommon in a Dachshund. But will keep one eye open ready to capitulate once you have shown you really want him to move it. Same as when you must beg forgiveness because the dog is mad at you for something he did - very hard to stay annoyed with a little tiny Doxie.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome welcome!

I see the advice has been given so I will say welcome and hjope you enjoy your time here!