Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Cricket ,
I read your post and it brought tears to my eyes, I am so very very sorry for your loss. I would be so very sad if I lost my little buddy.

I found this forum because I am sitting next to my Corgi Teddy I just picked up from a vet that yesterday agreed to remove a small lump from his rear and clean his teeth all in one deal. When I picked him up I was very upset that the doctor did not clean his teeth.

I really dont want to put Teddy under a anesthesia mpe than necessary. I dont know if I am out of line by being upset. I want to write the doctor a letter telling him my opinion and feelings.

Here is Teddy, all groggy from just coming home. You can see his booty stitches.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM

I haven't been back on this site in a long time. After loosing Taz no one seemed to understand how I was feeling but everyone here at least would listen to my pain & for this I thank you. Since this experience we have got 2 more dogs - a Mini American Esk - Bear Cub and then a year later another Husky - Diego.

What I have learned from all of this is that I don't use the local large animal vet anymore - that was where Taz had gone. We now go to a clinic that specializes in small animals - that is their specialility and for good reason - you wouldn't go to the foot doctor for an ear ache. What I like about this new place is that they treat the pets like they were human - during & after any surgury they are hooked up to heart monitors & they have someone sit with them until they are fully recovered. You might pay a bit more but the additional care & attention that you receive are worth it as well as the piece of mind.

I agree with the one earlier post - get a referal from a friend or ask them what they have for a recovery room - if they look at you like you have mental problems - move on to the next one until you find a vet that you feel comfortable with - you, yourself - wouldn't use a doctor that didn't care!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
Kitty pimp

congrats and good lick with your new doggies
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Losing Deuce

Cricket,

When I read your post my heart stopped. On Jan12th of this year my best friend died due to anestesia. He was a one year old english bulldog named Deuce. He went in with a condition known as "screw tail" where a bulldogs tail is growing back inside him. It had gotten infected (I thought he had a hot spot) and I took him to the vet the following day. They said he would have to have surgery so I left my friend in their care. I got a call that afternoon saying that I needed to rush there that the anestesia had caused his heart to stop and they were working to bring him back. I guess I do not have to explain to you that it brought my world crashing down. They were never able to revive him and I have one of the true loves of my life. I know it must get better eventually but my heart is broken. I am awaiting the autopsy report to try to put some closure to this matter. I am so angry and hurt. I just don't understand why and what happened.

My heart aches for you in the loss of your friend a year ago. It is good to know that you have gone on with you life and have some new additions to your family. I hope to be able to get some answers and some peace in the coming weeks when the report comes back. I had my boy cremated as well and just got him back last Friday. I know exactly how you feel about it being even worse. I know it has been 2 weeks tomorrow but I do not feel any better at all...if anything worse due to the shock wearing off. The whys and what ifs are torturing me. I just don't understand.

Love to my pal though, he gave me one of the most wonderful years of my life....he was pure love and joy. May my sweet boy rest in peace.
Attached Images

Old January 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Chattfit,so sorry to hear about Deuce,he was a beautiful Bulldog:sad:
The more I read about very sad cases like this,the more I fear putting any of my cats under anesthesia.
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM

My middle aged, mixed terrier (55lb) just had 3 teeth removed due to root exposure. I adopted him a year ago and they estimated that his age at that time Max was 5. Since the surgery he has not been the same dog, he is lethargic, he doesn't seem aware of things unless they are on top of him (he doesnt' hear the door open and my very loud sister come in until she's in the kitchen yelling!)he just seems depressed and mopey and he is usually full of energy to go for a walk when his dog walker came he layed down in front of her that NEVER happens. He isn't chasing squirrels!!!! What could be wrong? I was giving him Rimadyl, but read the side effects and stopped that. It helped but he is still lethargic. I know this is the exact opposite of your problem, but how long did it take your dog to recover? I took him to the vet and they said maybe he had an infection so give him clavamox. I just want my dog back the way he was!
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:29 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodysmom View Post
My middle aged, mixed terrier (55lb) just had 3 teeth removed due to root exposure. I adopted him a year ago and they estimated that his age at that time Max was 5. Since the surgery he has not been the same dog, he is lethargic, he doesn't seem aware of things unless they are on top of him (he doesnt' hear the door open and my very loud sister come in until she's in the kitchen yelling!)he just seems depressed and mopey and he is usually full of energy to go for a walk when his dog walker came he layed down in front of her that NEVER happens. He isn't chasing squirrels!!!! What could be wrong? I was giving him Rimadyl, but read the side effects and stopped that. It helped but he is still lethargic. I know this is the exact opposite of your problem, but how long did it take your dog to recover? I took him to the vet and they said maybe he had an infection so give him clavamox. I just want my dog back the way he was!
Rhodysmom - I think you should open your own thread. It will get the attention it deserves more so than putting it here. You could tell us when the operation was done. That would be helpful to know.
Personally, if it were my dog I would be on the phone with the vet making an appt asap. Just my
Thanks.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:48 AM
-

I agree Rhodysmom. See that yellow triangle with the exclamation mark on your post? Click on that as it will send the message you key in directly to a Mod. Give them a suitable title and ask them to move your post to its own thread.
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Zel

I happened upon this website after thinking about my cocker spaniel who died 3 years ago this month after a bupivacaine shot. She too dropped down onto the floor letting out a wrenching sound. I still can't stand to remember it. Cardiopulmonary arrested, I tried to revive her. The nearest vet was too far away. I believe if the anesthetic or drug isn't safe it should not be used. What are the regulatory bodies doing about these matters? This is a medical profession whether it is to treat humans or animals. I'm appalled at the seeming lack of regard for the efficacy and safety of the medical care our animals receive in this society not to mention those who escape prosecution for the tormenting, neglect and abuse of them. I once produced a tape recording of a tenant in a building where I lived (who was disturbing and teasing my dog while I was at work) to the landlord and to the local police. So much for justice and medical care for animals. l miss my animal, still. In loving memory of my beautiful Zelda.
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM

My beautiful husky passed away 9th july 2011

Hi i dont know if you will see this message or even come on the site anymore,I came across your message when i was searching for information on death by anesthesic..My beautiful husky Kiera went for an xray..she came out of tghe anesthesic on the thurs..was fine on the friday and then on the sat morning let of this scary scream..i ran over to her thinking she was having a nightmare but she kept doing it ..and then she stopped breathing and was gone..I cant seem to accept she was gone just like that..she had been having an xray due to what was thought to be mammary cancer which had only surfaced two weeks prior..i was worried about her going under and not waking up..i was so relief when we picked her up and now our world as been crushed..the canny thing about this is that our Kiera is the spitting image of Taz except for the snow nose and she had 2 blue eyes...she was also born in 2004..she is the same colour ,markings ect..I keep searching online looking for answers ect ..Cant believe our beatiful girl as gone .I just wondered if you do see this whether you found out anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
On sunday Feb 26 I had my world stop for no reason & I'm wondering how common other people find themselves in the same place I was. I did what I was supposed to do - I rushed my beloved Siberian Husky - Taz to the vet for something that happens around me all the time - he'd been for a run in the county with his dad & had found a porcupine - should be simple & easy & except for him being sore for a few days wasn't supposed to make my world stop! My dog was taken too the local vet with quill's from a porcupine - he went in, was given a shot to calm down & 15 minutes later was knocked out - while under he started to come around & was given another one & then was given gas - I was assured this was normal. Afterward he was given a shot of valium & penicillin & was then sent home. 3 hours later he let out a soft cry, threw his head & stopped breathing. We rushed him back to the vet & were giving him mouth to mouth but were unable to save him. They told us that it could have been a blood clot caused by the medication used to knock him out & that it was actually a common thing to happen.

Does anyone else know of this???
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurzbabe View Post
Hi i dont know if you will see this message or even come on the site anymore,I came across your message when i was searching for information on death by anesthesic..My beautiful husky Kiera went for an xray..she came out of tghe anesthesic on the thurs..was fine on the friday and then on the sat morning let of this scary scream..i ran over to her thinking she was having a nightmare but she kept doing it ..and then she stopped breathing and was gone..I cant seem to accept she was gone just like that..she had been having an xray due to what was thought to be mammary cancer which had only surfaced two weeks prior..i was worried about her going under and not waking up..i was so relief when we picked her up and now our world as been crushed..the canny thing about this is that our Kiera is the spitting image of Taz except for the snow nose and she had 2 blue eyes...she was also born in 2004..she is the same colour ,markings ect..I keep searching online looking for answers ect ..Cant believe our beatiful girl as gone .I just wondered if you do see this whether you found out anymore.
Cricket hasn't been on this site for a couple of years. I have no experience with this type of situation, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Kiera.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Oh ok and thankyou very much x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
Cricket hasn't been on this site for a couple of years. I have no experience with this type of situation, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Kiera.
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss if Kiera, spurzbabe. I know what a hard thing it is to lose a furbaby.

Kiera

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss if Kiera, spurzbabe. I know what a hard thing it is to lose a furbaby.

Kiera
Thankyou very much
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Heartbroken

I just lost my little baby girl, Bebe, my red min pin who was just five, two days ago for a minor procedure done at the vet. I had just noticed that morning that her anal gland was swollen and that we needed to take her in to get it taken care of so it wouldn't rupture. We took her to a vet that has seen her before, and that she has gotten her teeth cleaned by, a few months ago by so we trusted her. She gave us antibiotics for her, but told us that her anal gland may still rupture. We asked if there was anything else they could do so she wouldn't be in pain and the vet suggested that she could just knock her out and drain it and she would be good to go in a couple hours. She was so nonchalant about it, we felt like this was the best option so that she wouldnt suffer. We gave Bebe kisses and said goodbye and left to run errands. Two hours later we received a phone call from the vet saying that she has stopped breathing after the procedure and had gone into respiratory failure. She said that they performed CPR on her, but she was gone. I am so heartbroken and can't stop crying. I can't understand why this happened. I feel like our little family has been ripped apart and all we get is a "sorry".
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly C View Post
Like in every profession some are better than others.
<snip>
I've also learned never to choose a professional randomly but to get a referral from a friend or neighbour.
Kelly
My condolences to anyone who has lost a beloved pet. I lost my black lab from lymphoma 2 years ago, and my heart is still breaking.

My yellow lab, who is 10 years old, just went through some very serious surgery in June. I took him to a Vet Specialty Hospital. They have anesthesiologists which you generally don't find at local vets. His condition eventually became serious enough (though you'd never know looking at him) for surgery. Blood tests by my general vet showed a problem and she referred me to the specialty center. After draining 3 litres of fluid from his chest, I asked if they had a thoracic surgeon. They didn't. Just as I wouldn't want a general surgeon doing open heart surgery on me, I didn't want that for my pup. The internist (bless him) worked with me and we found a vet who specialized in his particular surgery. We are in Georgia and she was in Texas. She did the surgery, running into abnormalities in his anatomy so I feel sure (and so did she) that he would not have survived the surgery had I not had an expert for his particular condition.

It's worth the research and asking veterinary schools, etc., for anything outside of the norm or if anesthesia is required. That's just my 2 cent opinion--I was fortunate.