Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 18th, 2011, 01:38 AM

Cdn Pet store to stop

Something I read today, and if true, I say YAAAHOOOO!!!!

Canadian chain PJ’s Pets to stop selling puppies
http://www.pjspet.com/puppies/puppiesFirst.php

They are now going to adoption only and work with the local SPCA

binky

Last edited by marko; August 18th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I've never heard of them, are they a chain?
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Mickey, my angel

I hadn't heard of them either. They don't have stores in every province although they do have a number of them in Ontario.

Here is their website with their announcement:

http://www.pjspet.com/puppies/puppiesFirst.php
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

It's still something way good, thx for sharing it binkybuff

Thx for the link Mikischo - copying it into post 1.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

This makes me SO happy! Not only that they will stop using puppy mills and byb's, but also that they can start carrying The Honest Kitchen products again

The Honest Kitchen won't allow their products to be sold through any retailer that sells puppies/kittens. One of the PJ's here in the city was selling it, but they also sell kittens from local breeders. I contacted THK and they pulled their products. I kinda shot myself in the foot by doing that because it's hard enough to find as it is and would have been a backup if I ran out, but I wouldn't have bought from them anyway
I have found 3 stores to special order it for me

This is such a great step in the right direction, and now I can shop somewhere other than Petsmart!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Ugh... I just read the article. It doesn't mention anything about kittens. They use local byb's here in Edmonton. Not sure about the rest of their stores. Before I will shop there (or THK will allow their products to be sold), they have to stop the sale of kittens as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the sale of puppies is being halted, but they need to take as much care and concern for cats/kitties as they do the dogs/puppies.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

oh thanks for posting the article! I agree, they have to do the same for cats/kittens and rabbits.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I'm so excited, I read it this morning !!!

Here's our article on it,

http://www.durhamregion.com/news/article/183533

PJ's Pets and Pets Unlimited have announced they will no longer sell puppies in any of their stores as of Sept. 1. Instead they'll support pet adoption from local shelters, rescue groups and organizations such as the Humane Society and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The Every Pet Deserves a Home Program will provide pet adoption agencies with space to educate people about the organizations, the pets they have for adoption and in some cases, such as at the Pickering location, allow them to adopt them out from the store.

Stacey Halliday, director of marketing, said PJ's began implementing changes, such as cutting down its breeding programs, in January. Its sister company on the east coast, Pets Unlimited, has already stopped selling the puppies. "We just thought this was a positive move," Ms. Halliday said.

The change will have an effect on the bottom line because puppies make up seven per cent of the chain's overall business.

"Yes, it's a valuable part of our business, but by the same token, we're here because we're pet lovers and we want to find homes for them," she said.

PJ's in Pickering got the ball rolling last month. Cats from Pickering Animal Services have been featured at the Pickering Town Centre location since July.

"We started a pilot project and it's been going fabulously," said animal services supervisor Lindsey Narraway.

In just a month, PJ's has adopted out 12 cats for the shelter, thanks to the signs and cages PJ's has offered up to the homeless felines.

"Their staff do all the feeding, cleaning and adopting out," Ms. Narraway said, adding the store even has an Pickering Animal Services donation box.

Ruby Richards of the Durham Humane Society said although she hasn't yet been contacted by PJ's, she thinks it's a great idea.

"I think it's great if pet stores decide to stop supporting any kind of puppy mill or out-of-province breeders and start realizing there are too many animals in shelters that are already looking for homes," she said.

Most of the time, people purchase from pet stores spontaneously, without thinking it through, which means these dogs often end up in shelters down the road, Ms. Richards said.

"No shelter allows anyone to come in, put money down and take it," she said. "By allowing shelters to go into places like PJ's, it will stop that spur-of-the-moment decision."

Ms. Halliday said PJ's hopes to reach out to as many organizations as possible.

Despite common claims that PJ's gets their dogs from puppy mills, the company has dealt only with "absolutely fantastic" kennels and every dog has all of its breeder documentation, Ms. Halliday said.

PJ's will continue to sell kittens because they are often abandoned by customers who don't want them, Ms. Halliday said. She added if PJ's didn't take them in, it would only be a burden for the shelters.

Between now and October, PJ's will work with their private kennels to help find homes for their breeding dogs and any remaining puppies.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 22nd, 2011, 12:05 PM

This is great!!! PJ's is very big in toronto and are often in large popular malls. I have never seen dogs or cats being sold by anyone other than PJs here in Toronto, I am sure they have a large chunk of the local market... so this is great news.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM

Can any one confirm if they are still selling kittens? Those were good points above.. I hate PJs I won't even set my foot in any of their stores, never mind shop there. They were one of the last stores in the Toronto area to sell puppies and kittens.

FYI there is a big PJ's like pet store inside Vaughan Mills (a bit outlet mall) in Woodbridge that has moved into the mall and they are selling puppies and kittens. They have them displayed in little glass cages along the front of the store, so of course every one walking in the mall stops to look.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
owned by Tucker

Scarborough Town Centre has a PJ's too this is great news, I hate going in there to buy crickets for my daughter's lizard and looking at all those sweet faces and yes they were byb that were supplying them. They are the only store I can think of in Toronto that sells dogs I was there a few weeks ago and they were full of puppies hopefully this will be the last.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

We had a PJ here in Oakville years ago,but they had so much trouble with Humane Society and others,so they packed up and moved
Now,nobody sells puppies or kittens in Oakville
Old August 22nd, 2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
We had a PJ here in Oakville years ago,but they had so much trouble with Humane Society and others,so they packed up and moved
Now,nobody sells puppies or kittens in Oakville

I remember there was a petition going around to get that store to stop selling puppies and kittens.