Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Orijen 6 Fish Discontinued??

I just got this email from my store where I have automatically delivery set up:

Hi Stephanie,

Our supplier has just informed us that the Orijin- 6 Fresh Fish- line( all sizes ) has been discontinued. I went ahead and removed it from your account. If you want, you can go into your account and order another Orijin item and we'll be happy to deliver it to you.

NOOOO!!!! I am so upset. Has anyone else heard this?? I have a call into my contact with Orijen, Diana, but she's out of the office today, so I won't hear back from her until tomorrow at the earliest. I had heard rumors they were having problems with their supply of salmon, but it being discontinued completely is a shock to me. I feed it to both of mine. I have no idea what I will switch to now. Petey did really well on EVO RM ,but Belle is allergic to it. I loved Orijen because I could have both on the same food and both did really well on it. I might try the regular Orijen formula next I guess. Either that or I might just go to entirely raw now. I currently supplement with NV Raw. I'm so depressed about the 6 Fish formula. I love it.
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:19 PM
NOT a senior member

If your dogs do well with the Orijen 6 Fresh Fish, you may want to try the new ACANA Pacifica which has salmon and fish ingredients too, and is grain-free as well. Since it is the same company though... I wonder why they would discontinue the Orijen because of supply problems when another formula they produce with salmon is not. I'm not sure how the Orijen and ACANA fish varieties differ, but you may want to look into it if you haven't already.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Oh NO! But its funny that you should mention this...I have noticed extremely low stock lately and wondered if the expense was too high for some stores....I just got my 13th free bag!! yeah! but now what?? God Winston has done really well on this !!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
If your dogs do well with the Orijen 6 Fresh Fish, you may want to try the new ACANA Pacifica which has salmon and fish ingredients too, and is grain-free as well. Since it is the same company though... I wonder why they would discontinue the Orijen because of supply problems when another formula they produce with salmon is not. I'm not sure how the Orijen and ACANA fish varieties differ, but you may want to look into it if you haven't already.
I can't get Acana here in MN yet. It took me months to find a supplier that could get Orijen here and that same supplier is telling me he can't get Acana for some reason. I'm still looking, so if anyone knows of any online sites I can try, PLEASE let me know. I won't make any decisions until I hear back from Diana, but interesting question. I'll ask her why Acana Pacifiica and not Orijen 6 Fish.
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:33 PM

It seems odd that the 6-fish would be discontinued. On their website, that's listed as a new product.
I feed Scruff the adult formula in the teal blue bag. It contains fish and it sure smells like it. Your dogs might like it.
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
It seems odd that the 6-fish would be discontinued. On their website, that's listed as a new product.
I feed Scruff the adult formula in the teal blue bag. It contains fish and it sure smells like it. Your dogs might like it.
I've been feeding the 6 Fish for almost a year now. I can't feed their regular adult formula because Belle is allergic to chicken.
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:35 AM

They discontinued it because they are having a hard time looking for a pure fish source... they will not bring it back until they find this. (This is the information that our store has been told).
Roxy- 4 year old Sheltie/Pom
Angel- 12 year old Persian (deseased Dec 6, 2008)

An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber
Old October 16th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Obsessed animal lover

Well at least they're not substituting a lesser quality salmon and not telling the consumer. Although they should be informing their customers of this so that they can switch to another Orijen formula or another food. It's better to do it this way than not tell anyone and then lose all your customers.

How about Timberwolf Ocean Blue? I know Timberwolf has fallen out of people's favour but my dog likes it and she doesn't seem to react to it (I use the kibble as treats or when I don't have time to make her food). And it smells fishy like the Orijen does. Very similar kibble too.

That's too bad....hopefully they can find a good source soon.
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I know the feline fish version has unreliable availablity due to the difficultly in getting the quality of fish they use.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM

I just spoke to Diana at Champion Pet Foods and Orijen 6 Fish is NOT discontinued.

She said at times there's limited quantities because of the ingredients but it has NOT been and is NOT being discontinued.

Phew ..... I almost had a heart attack when I saw this post last night. My dogs do really well on this food!!
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Thank you for that info...both my dogs just love it and are doing so well on it. Couldn't imagine trying to change Ginger's food at this point of her life!!!
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by les View Post
I just spoke to Diana at Champion Pet Foods and Orijen 6 Fish is NOT discontinued.

She said at times there's limited quantities because of the ingredients but it has NOT been and is NOT being discontinued.

Phew ..... I almost had a heart attack when I saw this post last night. My dogs do really well on this food!!
Oh, THANK YOU! Back to my supplier now to find out what's going on. And back to finding a different supplier it sounds like if mine can't get it anymore.
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I just found out I can still get it online at least if my supplier still insists that he can't get it anymore. (I just emailed him and am waiting to hear back). But PetFoodDirect and/or k9cuisine carry them online. It's a lot more expensive, but at least I can still get it. PHEW! I am so relieved. I love this food!
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM

Have you gone through the list of online suppliers that are listed on the Orijen website? Under Store Locator and then under USA Online Stores. I think both you mentioned are there and quite a few other ones. I know when I looked I found a bunch that ship for free and are cheaper then what I pay in Ontario!
($79.00 a bag including tax)

I'm just so glad it's not been discontinued!!
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by les View Post
Have you gone through the list of online suppliers that are listed on the Orijen website? Under Store Locator and then under USA Online Stores. I think both you mentioned are there and quite a few other ones. I know when I looked I found a bunch that ship for free and are cheaper then what I pay in Ontario!
($79.00 a bag including tax)

I'm just so glad it's not been discontinued!!
Oh, Diana just called me back! Too funny. I told her I just got the good news online and she laughed. I am SO relieved! She doesn't know why some suppliers are telling their stores it's been discontinued though. How frustrating! Either they assume because it can sometimes be hard to get that it's discontinued and they say that without researching it or they just decided to stop carrying it because of the limited stock at times. I just ordered it from K9 Cuisine and set up auto delivery with them! I even got free shipping! NICE! The total came to $65. It was $57 for me before, but that's okay, I'm just happy I found it with free shipping as that helps keep the cost down quite a bit. And I'm happy I can keep feeding it. YAY!
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM

You almost had me in a panic! I just started Buster on the Orijen 6 fish a couple of weeks ago and he just LOVES it. I has taken me a year to find a store that sells it near my place.

So glad they aren't discontinuing it!!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Geek Club CEO

Holy smokes I saw the title of this thread and freaked!!! Glad it ain't so!!!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry about that guys! Didn't mean to scare everyone! I was scared when I got the email yesterday and of course it was on a day that Diana was out, ARGH! The only reason I posted it before talking to her was to see if anyone else had been told that as well. So glad Diana was able to confirm today that it is not true.

I just got a repsonse back from the store where I bought it, who called his supplier after getting my email about it NOT being discontinued and got the whole truth from his supplier. GEEZ! That stupid supplier scared all of us! And yep, is it due to the sometimes low stock for this food:

My supplier is discontinuing the product because it's so sporadic and creates too many problems for his Chicago and Mpls markets.

Critical difference there, buddy, good grief! My store felt really bad too, for scaring me like that. I feel bad for not supporting them as I like to support local mom and pop pet stores as much as possible, but my dog's health overrides that. SO glad I can still find it online. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will continue to be available at these other sources and that other suppliers won't have the same attitude as this one!
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Glad to hear for you all that it's not discontinued!

I feed regular Orijen, but if I fed the fish and couldn't get it for some reason I think I'd feed Wellness Core Ocean as a substitute:

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_w...ain_ocean.html

Could work in a pinch if supply of Orijen Fish is low.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Oh, I saw the title of this thread and almost died too, it is the only food that my dogs really love and because of Spencer's allergies, I am really limited on what he can have. So far (knock on wood) I have for the most part always been able to get it (only at the beginning when this one first came out were they having trouble keeping it in stores). There are 5 stores near me that carry it too so hopefully one of them will always have it in.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, apparently those of you in Canada are the lucky ones. It's become nearly impossible to get the 6 Fish formula here in the US. The bag I ordered online through K9 Cuisine arrived and it was the regular Orijen formula instead of the Fish formula. I called them and low and behold, their supplier can't get the 6 Fish formula into the US either, so they substituted without telling me. They tried to tell me they're almost exactly the same. I was like, uh, NO, they're not, not when your dog has protein allergies! ARGH! So now I spent almost $70 on a bag I can't use. After my complaining to K9 Cuisine, they updated their site to remove 6 Fish and put a note about limited supplies in the US, which are only expected to be worse this winter. Apparently it's readily available in Canada, but US suppliers can't get it right now. I tried four other online sites I found and they can't get it right now either. I'm about ready to drive across the border to go get a bag!

I only have about two days worth of food left, so I'm going to try Petey on the regular Orijen formula since I have that big bag anyway and go pick up some California Natural for Belle. That's what she was on before. She did okay on it, but her coat was pretty dry. She does much better on the 6 Fish. Her coat has been SO much better. I got a new bottle of Biologic BioFATS, which helps her coat tremendously, but is also nearly impossible to get in the US as suppliers have trouble getting it past Customs for some annoying reason. I ordered it three months ago and it FINALLY just came in the mail. Why do all the good food and supplement companies have to be Canadian and so hard to get in the US??!!! I am so beyond frustrated right now. And in the meantime, I think I have to figure out a new food to feed, through the winter at least since I've now been told by several different suppliers the 6 Fish will be "impossible" to get in the US for the next several months. (Something about the fish now also being out of season??) I don't want to keep Belle on CN long term. Back to the drawing board. I'm pretty sure I'll just go entirely raw at this point. They're currently supplemented with NV raw. I just really like the convenience factor of some kibble in the diet because of how much we travel.
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, I just found out I can still get it online at least if my supplier still insists that he can't get it anymore. (I just emailed him and am waiting to hear back). But PetFoodDirect and/or k9cuisine carry them online. It's a lot more expensive, but at least I can still get it. PHEW! I am so relieved. I love this food!
doggiefood.com also sells it too - not sure of the price because I've never bought the fresh fish. You can get a 5% discount right now if you enter the code "THANKS" at checkout (I discovered this while shopping for tripe last night).
Old October 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylapet View Post
doggiefood.com also sells it too - not sure of the price because I've never bought the fresh fish. You can get a 5% discount right now if you enter the code "THANKS" at checkout (I discovered this while shopping for tripe last night).
Thank you! I haven't tried this site yet, so I'll email them and ask! Two that I tried TOLD me they had it, but then sent me regular Orijen instead.
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:41 PM

I know someone already mentioned this, but Wellness CORE's Ocean formula is okay for dogs with poultry/beef allergies and it's grain free as well.

My bitch is allergic to the above and I feed Orijen's 6 fish. I prefer Orijen's formula to CORE because salmon is the first ingredient in Orijen which is a better fish and I've had some problems with Wellness before, but in a bind with a dog that has allergies? It'll do! LOL

I think I found a rabbit kibble and a buffalo somewhere online but I went with Orijen because I found it nearby... And if your *really* in a bind, there's always Science Diet's ZD.... LOL
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:24 AM

i wonder why orijen does not include mackeral to alleviate some of their problems with a supply of salmon. mackeral offers very similar nutritional benefits as salmon, but is quite a bit cheaper and widely avaible. Im not sure about pacifac mackeral or jack mackeral, but atlantic mackeral are in very healthy population, and are low on heavy metals.
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9 Love View Post
I know someone already mentioned this, but Wellness CORE's Ocean formula is okay....
Yeah, that was my first suggestion too - Wellness CORE Ocean.

I'm done with Timberwolf - the whole company. I will not buy or recommend any of their products anymore.