Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 7th, 2004, 01:15 AM

New Kitten

I need an opinion from others, particularly any professional opinions available. I have finally decided to bring a new kitten into my life. I've always grown up with pets in my own family, but as I've spent the last 2 years getting used to even taking care of myself (I'm 20 yrs. old), I decided to wait to commit to a pet. I am definitely more than ready now to fill that void, and I have found the perfect kitten. However, here is where the dilemma arises. My current roommate is mildly allergic to cats, and simply doesn't like them. She is moving out in 2 weeks, and says that she doesn't mind me getting it before she leaves, as long as I keep it in my bedroom until she's gone. I would just wait to get the cat, but if I don't take it right away some one else is going to and I really have my heart set on this one. My question is..is it cruel to keep a kitten in one room for 2 weeks? It's a decently sized room, and I would be here most of the time to keep it company. The last thing in the world I would ever want though is to unintentionally harm it in some way or hinder its development. Please let me know what you think! Thanks
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:18 AM

If it's a young kitten, I don't think its cruel to keep it in one room. If it were an older cat that was used to roaming, then it might be a problem. However, cat allergens are in the air so if you open the door, they will travel to other places.

My brother in law is allergic to cats and he came over once and I planned to keep my cat in one room ror the weekend, but he said there was no use in doing that because he could feel it anyways.

Where are you getting the cat from, I'd be surprised someone would not want to keep it for you. If you're buying it from a petshop, don't, it's the worst place to buy a pet.

Rescue shelters are full of kittens in need of a good home, depending on where you're from, i'm sure you could easily find another one that you would find much cuter than the one you have your heart set on.

Plus, it might smell like kitty litter in your room, and cats don't like to eat or sleep close to their litters, so you have to place them an acceptable distance appart.

But if you really want that kitten, I would say it's fine. Small kittens don't roam alot. And cats can adapt to living in small spaces as long as they have fun stuff to do!
Old June 7th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
but as I've spent the last 2 years getting used to even taking care of myself (I'm 20 yrs. old), I decided to wait to commit to a pet.
I have to ask, ready to commit?????? Does this mean emotionally or financially. Pets can run you into alot of money at times when they get ill are you prepared for this?

Is the kitten you are getting already fixed? If not you will have to do it right away as that is what responsible owners do at the cost of approx. 150.00 and his/her first shots vaccine and booster approx another 100.00 if the kitten already comes with first shots fixed etc. ask for the receipt to be sure.

The kitten would be fine in a room for two weeks but again I have to ask......You say you have a roomate moving out do you work? if so are other people in the house or apt with you? The only reason I ask is this, are the other roomates going to be the responsible type? Like by not letting your kitty get out while you are not home? Is this your home for a long time? getting new accomidations can sometimes be difficult when you have a pet and usually it is the pet that goes to a shelter when you can't accomidate them, is your landlord ok with pets?
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to deter you from getting a furry friend, just a few thoughts for you to ponder

Hope all works out ok good luck and welcome to the board
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

If you will be there most of the time, no harm in keeping the kitten in your room.

How old is the kitten? If it's 8 weeks or so, it's much safer for the kitten to stay in one room for now. Little kittens who aren't yet coordinated in their jumping can get hurt having full run of the place.

As has been said, pets are costly, and can be very expensive if the unexpected occurs.

Welcome to the board, and please post a pic of your kitty when you get him/her.
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Thank you very much for the responses, guys. Yeah the kitten is only 8 weeks old, and I plan on keeping a lot of toys and whatnot in here to make sure he doesn't get bored. I still feel really bad doing it though..Oh, and in response to all the questions that were asked..I did mean I was ready to commit emotionally AND financially. I didn't want to get one before because I was just getting used to being independent and I didn't want to risk getting a pet I couldn't care for. I don't make the most money in the world, but I will be able to support it, and I've also got GREAT parents that would be more than willing to help me out with unexpected vet bills or costs that arise that I can't handle. And yes, I will be getting him neutered right away, even though he is an indoor cat. I've learned throughout my pet-filled life Murphy's law applies to indoor animals, too! Especially those girls..*tisk tisk*

I'm getting the kitten from a lady in one of my classes whose cat had kittens. There is another person who wants the same one I do, and the owner basically said first come first serve (theyre not quite 8 weeks yet). I am going to check out the local shelter tomorrow, to see if there are any others there that I like, that can wait for me until the end of the month. If not...you'll be seeing a pic of my new kitten very shortly!! Thanks again!!!
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad to hear that you have planned so carefully for this kitten, which could end up being a 20 year responsbility.

I know you have your heart set on this particular kitten, but people who indescriminately allow their animals to breed are only encouraged to do it again if everyone is willing to clean up after them by taking in the kittens and puppies. If this person has a hard time finding homes, it might make her think a bit and get her cat spayed.

Now is kitten season, unfortunately, and there are many kittens for adoption in shelters and rescues.

Where are you?
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:33 PM

I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. There is a shelter about 1/2 an hour from here which I'm filling out an application form for as we "speak". Apparently they've got over 50 kittens! And they pay for neutering and 2 sets of vaccinations as well!
Old June 7th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck on your new kitten. Let us know what you decide and post poctures when you get her or him. Kittens are so much fun!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM

Good Luck on your new kitten!!!!

Make sure you post pics of your new kitty on here.

Gald to hear that you wanted to wait until you were responsible enough to take care of a pet. Now if everyone only thought like you, there might not be so many unwanted pets right now.

Good Job you did the right thing!!! I'm for one am proud of you!!!

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:09 AM

Thanks again for all the posts, guys. And I hope it pleases you to know that I contacted the local shelter to inquire about kittens-in particular orange ones, which I LOVE, and luck was on my side. THEY actually brought him to ME for our first introduction tonight, as I had no means of transportation (they are 1/2 an hour or so away). I fell in love with him right away (as you can see, it doesn't take long for me to fall in love with animals) and I'm going with this one as the other one has a guaranteed home regardless of my choice. This one is going to cost me 150.00 which covers his being neutered and 2 vaccinations. Is this a reasonable price? I know most pet stores only charge like 79.99 but I don't know what that covers. Also, while he was here, he seemed to be very quiet and docile. He really didn't move much at all-I know through my experience with kittens that they're usually quite rambunctious if theyre not sleeping. Do you think this should be of concern to me? Or am I just being paranoid...he may have just been cautious due to his new surroundings and absence of mother and siblings. I just read somewhere on the internet to "watch out" for the shy, quiet kittens...It would just KILL me to get attached and then have something happen..Ahh ..sorry about all the questions..call me heidi Here's a picture of "Sandy"..which I think I'm going to change to Conan...Yes, after Conan O'brien. I have a sick obsession.. plus they have the same color hair?
Attached Images

Old June 9th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Very Cute kitten! I think 150$ is reasonable. We paid 130$ for Mackenzy and that included shots, neutering and microchipping. The younger they are, the more expensive it is. Really you are only paying for the services and not for the cat itself, the price they are charging you is to cover the operation, food, medication... that your kitten has had to have. Do not get a pet shop cat! That money will be to pay for the cat, which is worth nothing to them.

Mackenzy was very quiet when we got him from the shelter too. I think it may be the environment. Actually he was a very quiet, cuddly kitten. But he grew out of it. He still likes to cuddle with me, but now he's more outgoing. He is afraid of nothing! He's a real cuttie!

Have fun with your kitten! And you've made the right decision!
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Your baby is so pretty, GOOD CHOICE! He will be a little nervous and quite and the beggining. He will be fine though. You will have a new best friend. That is a good price for a kitten adults cats are always cheaper than kittens so you did fine. Good luck!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 9th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

He is too cute!! I love orange kitties too!

If you took a kitten to the vet for exam, neutering, deworming, etc, it would cost well over 150$. Has this baby been completely checked out?

Buying kittens from some pet stores is often very heartbreaking and I've seen lots of them who are sick - some with very serious illness.

How long was he at your place? If it was only a short time, he was probably frightened and unsure of his surroundings. He should get over that in a couple hours. That's how long it takes most kittens to become completely at home and for you to say "What have I done??" LOL!

Make sure his ears are clean and his eyes are bright and clear with no discharge.
And ask as many questions as you like. After all, This kitty could be with you for 20 years!
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:18 PM

cute!

I think you have made a very good choice. Yes, the other kitten does have a home regardless of whether you take him or not, so it was nice for you to choose a sweetie from the shelter that wasn't guaranteed a home.

When I brought my cat home from the adoption agency, she was quiet too (I was told she was a quiet cat anyway). She was very hesitant at first, but within a day or so, she had made herself at home and was chattering to me. She is now very vocal, but has a very soft meow (I nearly named her Mouse because of her voice). She loves to run and play and is the best companion when I'm feeling lonely.

When you get your kitten, keep your voice soft and calm when talking to him, handle him a lot and give him tons of attention. Oh! And watch out when he starts running if he still has his front claws....they love climbing up legs and clinging to rear ends. I think I still have scars from one of my friends' cats....one of the reasons I chose a more mature cat! Have fun!
Old June 11th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Really sweet kitten! Who is the white kitty he's cuddled up to? I knew a red kitty called Rhubarb.
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Kittens are so much fun!
No, they're not!! Kittens are evil! They are rotten to the core! Their cuteness is their main defense to keep us from killing them.

Look at this litter I fostered. I know they look sweet and adorable, but that's just a disguise to cover the fact that they were EVIL!
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah! They look positively evil! If you let them, they'll smother you with cuddling! What a way to go!
Old June 11th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Kittens are agents sent by aliens to destroy our sanity and trash our homes!

This was the worst offender. I know he looks sweet and innocent, BUT....

Sorry, I had an extra glass of wine with dinner.
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

A definite candidate for

www.mycathatesyou.com

Old June 11th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

That last picture reminded me of the feral kitten Ciara & I rescued last year..the "terrorist". She earned her name and fame.
Old June 11th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

"My Cat Hates You" is hilarious!! I love that site.

Just remember - "Beware the Kittens!!"
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,I am trying to write,but Chico is prancing back and forth in front of the Monitor saying"I'ts me,I'm here,cuddle-time!!! Sticking what he thinks is his best attribute,his butt,in my face
Awwwww kittens,I too sometimes think they are aliens,sent down to one day rule the world,they're sooo irresistable,I've gotten sucked in by these little creatures so many times in my life
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Talking

"Living with a Cat is part Joy . . .
and part Guerrilla Warfare!"

(magnet on my refrigerator)
Old June 12th, 2004, 12:35 PM

your kitty is very adorable!!!!!

Good choice!!

keep the cute pics coming.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old June 12th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Sticking what he thinks is his best attribute,his butt,in my face
Isn't it wonderful having pets who "moon" you regularly?