Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Micro chipping my cat

A local pet rescue organization and veterinary clinic in Lethbridge are offering to microchip your pet for $40.00. I am thinking of taking my cat Maggie.
She was tattooed at the time she was spayed. I wonder if she would really benefit from this procedure. She hates the Doctor and car rides. It would be very stressful.
We live in a village 45 miles from the city and do not allow her out by herself but accidents can happen.
Any thoughts or experiences would be most welcome.
Thanks, Laurie
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I didn't used to think there was a reason for chipping until I got these two furries. Tats fade and there is no general registry as with chips. If something should happen...lost/stolen/etc., not only can they find YOU, but you can track if the cat has been to a vet if stolen...most vets will register visits.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Personally I will never get it done again without my pet being under anesthetic.

Most of my pets I've had micro chipped while they were being spayed or neutered. One of my dogs wasn't done so when the vet asked if I wanted it, I said sure. My poor dog screamed when they did it and he's never liked the vets office since then - I didn't realize how large of a thing it is - I mean, to just jab in with a needle when they're awake.

I'll never get it done like that again.
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I had Jasper microchipped and he didn't even blink. This procedure should be done as routine as initial vaccines IMO, because you never know what could happen.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:06 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by les View Post
One of my dogs wasn't done so when the vet asked if I wanted it, I said sure. My poor dog screamed when they did it and he's never liked the vets office since then - I didn't realize how large of a thing it is - I mean, to just jab in with a needle when they're awake.

I'll never get it done like that again.
I'm thinking that your Vet was not that adept at administering the chip. My daughter works for the OSPCA and when she was part of the shelter system she administered many chips, mostly the animals do not even flinch. That being said, even if pain is experienced for an instant, in the long run, it can save their life. Small price to pay IMO.
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Catlover2

I've had both my cats microchipped and they didn't flinch either. The vet pinched the skin well between his thumbs first, perhaps to slightly numb it, and the skin where they insert the microchip on back of neck tends not to have much feeling there anyway.
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM
~Cat Servent~

I got 5 microchipped (Buddy was already done when I got him) and not one made a big fuss, 4 of them didn't even flinch. I'm hoping I never need them, but it gives me some peace of mind to know that they have them. My worst fear is for them to go missing, anything I can do to help find them again is worth every penny IMO.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up

I think it's a good idea to Microchip especially if your cat is an outdoor cat. I know where I live I am constantly seeing signs for lost cats. Microchipping will make it easier to get you reunited with your cat if it were to ever go missing.