Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM

high protein no grains? (ie barking at the moon)

Now that I'm getting a dog that's sitting around 30lbs (too big for wee bit and too small for wolfking) I was looking at the other Solid Gold Food. The normal lamb stuff looks okay but the barking at the moon also caught my eye. I mean this food has like twice the crude protein and crude fat as wolfking, and I'm reminded by Aristotle who thought that "good" required moderation. Is this a okay food to feed my dog because it seems like it might have too much of a good thing.

Turkey | Salmon | Turkey Meal | Potatoes | Salmon Meal | Eggs | Olive Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Blueberries | Tomato Pumice | Broccoli | Carrots | L-Lysine | L-Carnitine | Dried Chicory Root | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Marigold Extract | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

That and its kinda worrying that their two main sources of meat are a poultry and a fish. =/
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:43 PM

Why is it worrying that the two proteins are fish and poultry? Both are really good...

Frankly, all the ingredients are great, but I'm just not a believer in this 42% protein fad yet. I think it's too high- unnaturally high.

The just a wee bit would be ok. It's just more dense than normal food, so you would have to feed less. It's just made for high energy small dogs so that they don't have to eat their body weight in food every day. Nothing significant enough to have to avoid feeding it to a 30lb doggy (so they tell me).
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:49 PM

I don't know, I've always heard that poultry and fish weren't as filling/heavy as stuff like pork and beef and lamb. And that dogs seem to prefer pork, beef and lamb over stuff like chicken.
Old April 5th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Agility Addict

Natural diet believers say that most dogs prefer beef but that some do better on chicken. It really depends on the dog. Fish is excellent for a dogs/cats but ideally (unless allergies are involved) they would only have fish a couple of times a week...Of course kibble is much different than a natural diet...

This food seems like it is meant more for sport/performance dogs...
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:08 PM

I've never met a dog who would choose lamb kibble over salmon kibble... Fish is smellier and usually more appealing...

And a lot of people believe that lamb is too rich for dogs, and some dogs just can't digest it.

Frankly, I don't mind lamb, but I wouldn't choose it over turkey or salmon (especially salmon). Fish has a ton of great omega 3 fatty acids, too (great for the coat and heart). And beef- there just aren't that many beef foods out there in comparison to turkey and lamb foods. Most of them are cheap foods and with the mad cow scare, people just don't want beef..
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Performance Spaniels

If I take out a lamb rollover, a turket rollover and a beef rollover, my do goes handsdown for the beef. If I pull out a beef based kibble and her normal wellnish whitefish kibble.. she goes for the whitefish.
Last thing she'd choose herself is lamb.
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Owned by Saints

I was actually thinking of buying a small bag of "Barking at the moon" to kinda supplement my dogs kibble with but not completely switch him over to it. He's doing well with the kibble he is eating now.. But my doggy is a bit underweight, so I thought this kibble would be good to add extra fat/calories without having to feed him mass amount of food.

I do agree with Prin though. 42% protein is a bit much as a main diet. And as Lissa said it does seem geared towards high energy/performance dogs.
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYne
And as Lissa said it does seem geared towards high energy/performance dogs.
It could be the other way around though. Dogs may need less carbs when they're not very active.
Old April 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Just saw this post. Is it your Eskie that you are considering this food for? I did try a lamb food with my guy and he was almost as much as a "smooth operator" as he was on the corn food. I know this isn't always the case with lamb. We then tried the Fromm's Salmon A La Veg and he is much better. He has also had Whitefish and Potato which he loves, but frankly it smells a lot worse than the salmon. Eskies are prone to bladder stones so I try to watch protein levels, purines, oxalates etc. My guy hasn't had a problem - yet - but I did have a dog who had 4 bladder stones and I don't want to ever have to feed a dog the white lard bladder stone food again. Horrible stuff. My Eskie does have a small and perhaps sensitive bladder and just seems to do very well in the fish diet. He does have some little frozen meat loaves that I buy at his groomer's that he thinks are people food - actually my husband almost ate one that was on a plate - but when he has one of those, he doesn't get his kibble. Also when you are looking at Heartworm treatment, we were just advised to go back to chewable because it is very hard to find a sufficient section of pink skin to allow topical med to do its work and vets are being advised that there could be problems with the meds being properly absorbed by Husky, Eskimos etc. - unless you shave a spot. I was very grateful to be told to do this. Topical meds were much easier with my short haired guy.
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM

thanks snowdancer, I was trying to picture how the meds are gonna work with the big coat. on a similar topic (hyjacking my own thread quickly) I don't suppose anyone knows good antiflea stuff that does not require a patch fo skin and a lot of parting? -_-
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:58 PM

okay, I've got solid gold turkey jerkey, old mother hubbard (wellness) assorted treats, solid gold hund-n-flocken (the other types weren't at the store near my house), chicken a la veg sample, wellness super5mix lamb sample and canidae all life stages sample. And the foster home is gonna give me a bit of the food he's eating now. Cross your fingers he likes one of them. And two different cans of merrick.

Is there any particular method I should use to see which one he likes more? like, feed him a little of each type as treats? ><

Last edited by maigrey; April 6th, 2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old April 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Don't mix them. Dogs seem to like new kibble, so if you give one and then a different one and then go back, he'll pretend he likes them all because they're new each time. I'd give a few of one, see how he reacts (swallowing them whole is a good indication sometimes) and then wave the next sample by his nose (don't let him eat it, just tease) and then give another of the first sample. If he loses interest, the second might be better... The other way is to hold both firmly in separate hands and let the dog sniff them well and see which hand he tries harder to open.

At this point, my doggies know when they're going for a taste test, so I just have to hold them up and say "which one?"...
Old April 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Eskies are very food driven. I can pretty much guarantee your pup will like all of the above mentioned foods. The problem will be determining which one is best for his system. If you begin to feel that he needs a digestive enzyme that might be the time to try a Fish based kibble - this is how El ended up on the Salmon - really made a difference - and no need for a digestive aid. Oh, I should also note that Eskies have no road sense and can jump a 5 ft. fence from a standing position - and fall on their heads. Not good. Serious escape artists. We don't have a fenced yard - wouldn't matter if we did - the little devil is always on a leash.