Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

We got Kaki's !!

Okay, so that's the Italian word for persimon. I had never had these fruits until I married an Italian and now I don't even remember the English name for it half the time. We planted a Kaki tree this spring and they said it wouldn't bear fruit this year, but AHA! we gots Kaki's. Just about five on there now, and they may not ripen, who knows. But woohoo - what a treat to find them!
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Good job, forgot to attach the picture.
Attached Images

Old July 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope they ripen!! Right now they look a lot like my tomatoes, which I hope will ripen, as well.

So if your Kakis ripen, what do you do with them? Eat them plain or use them in recipes?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Kakis? Not at all what I thought before opening this thread. Thanks for the laugh mf.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think my first thought matched yours, 14+

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

14+ and Hazel, that's what I thought too when I first heard them called Kaki. I'm like "that's what my kid used to do in his pants!!" You want me to eat that??? We eat them just plain Hazel. I'm just tickled that they're growing, we weren't expecting any this summer.

I'm jealous that your tomatoes look like this. We have 50 plants and lots of flowers but until just a few days ago no real tomatoes to speak of. Now that we've had a few days of warm I am hoping that the fruit comes out. Last year at this time we had fruit the size of - well let's just say somebody asked me if they were pumpkins!! Course she wasn't that bright...
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Are they sweet or tart? I've never had Kaki ( That really doesn't sound too good! ) I hope they ripen for you! Will they ripen off the vine like late-season tomatoes do?

Old July 13th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

They have a tough skin and some people peel them, we eat them with the skin on. The pulp inside is fairly firm also. They turn orange when they're ripe and are sweet. A warning though, if you eat them when they're not ripe it's like chewing really kaki tasting sawdust . There are actually two types of persimon, this one which is sort of tomato shaped, and a fuji type I believe that is more pear shaped and much softer.

I have experienced so many new foods since living with an Italian. I had never even seen a fresh fig (only dried), let alone ate an entire bowl of them . We now regularly eat fennel raw drizzled with a bit of olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper. I'd only ever cooked with fennel as a seasoning before. And of course kaki was a new fruit also. I can honestly say I'd never even seen it at the store in the area of town I used to live in. Oh and rapini - never heard of it before, now we grow a whole yard of it every year. Go figure huh!
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Isn't that how to stay young? Try something new every day? Fennel raw, eh? I'll have to try that!

Old July 13th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel it is yummy raw if you like licorice. It has a very mild flavour. Just remove the stems and then slice it quite thin and fix it up. Eat. We serve it as an evening snack when we have company or just as a raw veggie with our dinners. It can be difficult to find fresh in the stores though sometimes. I'm not sure the staying young part is working for me.... I feel old today, I need a nap!
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If it's any consolation, I feel old today, too But then, I haven't done anything new today, either.

I love licorice. I know I've seen fennel at least on occasion in the stores--I'll have to watch for it now!

Old July 13th, 2010, 10:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If it's any consolation, I feel old today, too But then, I haven't done anything new today, either.

I love licorice. I know I've seen fennel at least on occasion in the stores--I'll have to watch for it now!
Hazel - look for anise if you can't find fennel. Some stores call it that as well. We use both but it is better known as fennel. I love it just sliced up as part of a salad. Yummy!!! Supposedly Dr Oz did a show on foods that are extremely healthy for you. Fennel was top of the list. You should have seen the run we had on it for about a week! After that it died right back to normal sales. Can't see the reason so many women like that man.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Okay, so that's the Italian word for persimon. I had never had these fruits until I married an Italian and now I don't even remember the English name for it half the time. We planted a Kaki tree this spring and they said it wouldn't bear fruit this year, but AHA! we gots Kaki's. Just about five on there now, and they may not ripen, who knows. But woohoo - what a treat to find them!
The minute I saw the name Kaki....I knew exactly what you were talking about...I'm Italian as well and for the longest time, I thought that Kaki was the real and only word for this fruit.
Nice to know that they can grow in BC. Have you tried growing figs...they do well too. When I lived in Port Hardy, we had a fig tree that did well
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:54 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hmmm am i off in left field here or isn't a kaki also known as a persimmon?
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Okay, so that's the Italian word for persimon. I had never had these fruits until I married an Italian and now I don't even remember the English name for it half the time.
Aslan....you are in the right field....
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Aslan....you are in the right field....
yay for me,,,,
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Cpietra, I do recall reading in other threads that you were Italian. It's funny because so much of the foods we eat we refer to in Italian because that's what my husband calls them. When I was out shopping for fennel one day the cashier didn't know what they were and I had a massive brain fart and could only think of the Italian word for them, which is finnocio (although I probably have the spelled all wrong). I was laughing because I could not for the life of me think of the name for it in English. DOH!! The bag boy knew what it was though.

Good girl Aslan. Of course it was in my post!! But you're still a clever girl.

At our old house we had several really big fig tree's. Oh man those figs were so good. Since we moved we had to plant new tree's in our garden, and they are still very small. They produce two or three figs but they never ripen or fill out properly. Another year or two should do the trick hopefully. We planted some Italian plums also and they are going crazy this year! Yay. I will never be able to eat that much fruit though, and will have to collect it and share with the neighbours because I don't want to attract skunks or bears.

We get bears occasionally in our area, and every day I wake up and think I might find my bee hives destroyed! I don't think I'm allowed to put electric fences in our yard.

Last edited by Dog Dancer; July 14th, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

DD, I've heard that bears (and herbivores like deer and rabbits) are repelled by the smell of urine...human urine in particular. I've never tested the theory, but I've been advised that if the bears start harrassing my feeders again, I'm to have hubby go out and pee around them. Something to think about if you're worried about bears getting at your hives...

14+, I know I've seen fennel on sale, but I don't recall ever seeing it listed as anise. Is that really where anise flavoring comes from?

There are women out there who go ga-ga for Dr Oz!? That's two surprising things I've learned today!