Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Family history of diabetes mellitus in my dog

Hello all,
I have an 8 year old Miniature Pinscher named Maxine. I have recently become aware that her parents, older brothers and sisters and litter-mate brother have developed diabetes. While she has not shown any symptoms of this disease, how concerned should I be that she will also develop it? What can I do to prevent it? Does a family history mean she is doomed to develop this disease?

I control her diet, and while she could probably stand to get more exercise, she isn't in bad form. Her weight is very appropriate for her size, so I am told by my vet.
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I would make sure that you are doing annual bloodwork (chemistry panel and cbc), and urinalysis, to know what her normals are, and to watch if anything is changing over time. If you see changes, I would run the bloodwork more frequently as I made changes.

I'm a fan of a high meat and veggie homecooked diet, maybe put together by someone like Monica Segal or Sabine Contreras (nutritionists), and I believe that that is also good for diabetes. At the very minimum, I would want foods low on the glycemic index. Off the top of my head, those are the first things I would look into.